Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Metal thread \m/
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45
(02-09-2014, 06:39 PM)Zannibal Wrote: [ -> ]^Well, my vision of beautiful is slightly different, but it was quite good song. Not very melodic, tho. Or maybe I'm use to too melodic music. Now you just gotta practice mixing and recording to make it sound even better.

At least it's the most melodic song I've written Big Grin
Do you have any "tips" or "tricks" for mixing and recording.

(02-09-2014, 06:39 PM)Zannibal Wrote: [ -> ]I finally learned to make good guitar tone, and learned some other stuff about mixing, so I decided to make this short song to test 'em out. Turned out to be one of the best songs I've written, in my opinion. At least I can finally say I like the solo Big Grin

Sounds very good, I like that punk/trash feeling Smile
Are you using vst to get that guitar tone?
I used to use vst, but I get much more powerful and full sound with real amps and cabs.
Yeah, VST. Free amp + kefir and some stuff. It was quite tricky to get that tone to work at first, but now it's good. I'd suggest you to use it too if you get it to work. Try quad-tracking (4 guitar tracks) to get more powerful sound Big Grin

As for mixing, it's a bit trickier, especially since I'm not that good mixer myself. And I mean your mixing is pretty good; you can hear everything well. Maybe try to make better guitar tone with VST and put guitars slightly louder to give more kickass feel, and maybe also cut the low frequencies. And add bass. Or, if it has bass, put it louder Big Grin If you don't have bass, you can get free VST basses. I use one, it's not perfect, but good enough for now.
(02-13-2014, 10:20 PM)Zannibal Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, VST. Free amp + kefir and some stuff. It was quite tricky to get that tone to work at first, but now it's good. I'd suggest you to use it too if you get it to work. Try quad-tracking (4 guitar tracks) to get more powerful sound Big Grin

As for mixing, it's a bit trickier, especially since I'm not that good mixer myself. And I mean your mixing is pretty good; you can hear everything well. Maybe try to make better guitar tone with VST and put guitars slightly louder to give more kickass feel, and maybe also cut the low frequencies. And add bass. Or, if it has bass, put it louder Big Grin If you don't have bass, you can get free VST basses. I use one, it's not perfect, but good enough for now.

Thanks for advices Smile
Sometimes I use three guitar tracks (one slightly more quiet in the middle (and different EQ (high pitch sound))). When I'm playing, sometimes I use vst, but real cab gives me more powerful sound when recording.
Like in Fragmented Soul I used vst (TSE X50 and Poulin LeCab2), but compare it to my latest song No Salvation. "Hum"/"buzzing" is the only problem with real amp and cab, but DI-box and audio interface helps pretty much to get rid of that. I could do "studio video" (eliminating hum, my gear, how I record and mix), but I broke my camera Big Grin
Another song. First song in the series of 12. I'll make a new song each month with different musical theme (neo-classical metal, folk metal, etc.)

This one doesn't have any special theme because I only had 3 days to make it. I was greatly influenced by DT's Hell's Kitchen, tho.

(02-28-2014, 12:16 AM)Zannibal Wrote: [ -> ]Another song. First song in the series of 12. I'll make a new song each month with different musical theme (neo-classical metal, folk metal, etc.)

This one doesn't have any special theme because I only had 3 days to make it. I was greatly influenced by DT's Hell's Kitchen, tho.

Sounds really beautiful! Smile
Can't wait for the rest Big Grin

We have planned to form a band with my one friend. We recorded drums and guitars to test some things out. And the genre will be brutal slam death metal Wink
^Thanks Big Grin I've already listed some sub-genres; neo-classical metal (this month), folk metal, pirate metal, 80's hair metal (with cheesy synths, ofc), symphonic black / gothic metal and 80's heavy. I've also planned some stupid stuff on some of the videos Big Grin

I'm not a big fan of death metal, especially brutal one, but still good luck with the band Big Grin! I have written a blackened death metal song which I'll release soon. This guy is going to sing the song (and hopefully one other); http://www.youtube.com/user/SpeakInDeathmetal
I made a short test track to test my new recording and miking techniques.
(Okay,.. I'm not so good at playing drums Tongue )

Drums:
2 overhead mics and one bass mic (usually I use more mics, but this was just a test)

Guitar:
ESP Ax-50
(Seymour Duncan Livewire Dave Mustaine Active Pickups).
I use double tracking (sometimes quad tracking).
Fender Frontman 212R and Boss Metal Zone MT-2 distortion pedal (with Shure SM57 (and my own method to get a little old school shade to the tone)).

Vocals:
Shure SM57

Tell me what you think Smile
Not bad for this genre of metal. Raw sounds and mixing fit the genre. However, if you're going to record other genres of metal, I'd suggest working on guitars more Big Grin As for drums, I'd suggest compressors and getting more mics for best result.

I created new song too. This time it's a cover; Burzum's Dunkelheit. I also tried compressors and quad tracking for the first time, and I think my sound improved a lot. Especially snare sound <3

(03-27-2014, 09:09 PM)Zannibal Wrote: [ -> ]Not bad for this genre of metal. Raw sounds and mixing fit the genre. However, if you're going to record other genres of metal, I'd suggest working on guitars more Big Grin As for drums, I'd suggest compressors and getting more mics for best result.

I created new song too. This time it's a cover; Burzum's Dunkelheit. I also tried compressors and quad tracking for the first time, and I think my sound improved a lot. Especially snare sound <3

Sounds really good! (I had to listen to it 3 times in a row Tongue ).

I need new mixer Angry (left channel gives some strange noise (and too much bass to the mix)).

And I tried to create something with my acoustic guitar.

(I used my acoustic guitar, ukulele and some drums),
(and I accidentally dropped a box containing all my guitar pics to the floor and recorded it Big Grin )
Glad you like it Big Grin

I'd suggest scrapping the mixing table and mix with computer. A lot easier than messing with five zillion buttons. The acoustic song was really good, just needs a bit better mixing Big Grin

New song! St. Zannibal; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvJV_dTsgjA
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45