Frictional Games Forum (read-only)

Full Version: Zork Remake?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Jens, I know someone already made a post about future titles, but I was wondering if Frictional ever considered remaking the old Zork series? The original Zork games were text-based and were mainly about exploration and adventure, with the occasional baddie thrown in. I think a 3D interactive version using the HPL3 engine would be a great step. I don't know who owns the IP for Zork, if anyone.
I don't think FG is going to make a remake of a game...
(08-06-2011, 07:12 PM)MasaMainio Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think FG is going to make a remake of a game...

Anything is possible. Zork was actually a classic for its time, full of exploration treasure hunting etc, no horror elements though. It's nice to hope right? Cool
(08-06-2011, 07:12 PM)MasaMainio Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think FG is going to make a remake of a game...

I agree with the other two guys, obviously FG aren't going to do that, On the other hand, it would definitely be possible for someone to make a custom story based on it, in fact, anyone could do it if they had the motivation and a few weeks practice with the editors Smile
I never finished Zork, I kept climbing up a tree then jumping off! D:
It's possible some company would do a tribute type of thing like that to an older game. I don't think FG would though. What other older games would be cool to see re-made into a modern-day version?
(08-06-2011, 07:15 PM)Conan Wrote: [ -> ]

Anything is possible. Zork was actually a classic for its time, full of exploration treasure hunting etc, no horror elements though. It's nice to hope right? Cool

No horror? The Grue would like to speak with you.
(08-07-2011, 04:50 AM)DamnNoHtml Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-06-2011, 07:15 PM)Conan Wrote: [ -> ]

No horror? The Grue would like to speak with you.

Can you really compare a Grue with a Gatherer in terms of horror? Even the Grue would be thinking "I ain't going down into Storage." Tongue
(08-07-2011, 04:04 AM)dph314 Wrote: [ -> ]It's possible some company would do a tribute type of thing like that to an older game. I don't think FG would though. What other older games would be cool to see re-made into a modern-day version?

The System Shock series.
(08-07-2011, 04:04 AM)dph314 Wrote: [ -> ]It's possible some company would do a tribute type of thing like that to an older game. I don't think FG would though. What other older games would be cool to see re-made into a modern-day version?

The System Shock series.
(08-06-2011, 06:56 PM)Conan Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know who owns the IP for Zork, if anyone.

Activision owns the copyright to all Infocom games and IPs, including Zork.

(08-07-2011, 04:04 AM)dph314 Wrote: [ -> ]What other older games would be cool to see re-made into a modern-day version?

I grew up with and love the 8-bit and 16-bit graphics of the NES and SNES, but I think the early 3D of the Playstation and N64 look awful. The gameplay was fine, but I think all of the games from that era could do with a graphical update (and I think Nintendo has remade every N64 game by now).