Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spoiler I have a few things to say.
Scarred Pajamas Offline

Threads: 1
I have a few things to say.

As much as I enjoyed my journey through Castle Brendenburg, I have a few things to say regarding the journey itself.

1. Tinderboxes are way to plentiful: Despite the fact that Tinderboxes can run out fast, it doesn't mean that their not everywhere. And even so, if you hold off on using them, since you can logically sneak through the game in the crouch position with no trouble at all, it becomes a little too easy to maneuver. The plentifulness of Tinderboxes diminishes hiding spots when you light up something, so its better just to treck back to a lit room, close the door, hide, and wait for the psyche to come back up.

2. Oil is way to un-common: This is me mearly being a nit picker, but oil seemed to only appear once in a blue moon, basically turning your lantern pointless until you just need to use it. Its actually way less expensive and hard or time consuming to just run through the game lighting all the torches in your path, and keeping a area perma lit. But as discussed before, this diminishes hiding spots, making it harder on you to explore safely.

3. The monsters appeared way to often: This is just my personal taste but I was hoping never getting to see a clear picture of the monster, but it seems like the grunt and even the brute a bit want to be in the spotlight, always seeming to pass by Daniel while a torch is near. You even get a special close up with a cut in half grunt halfway through the game or so. Despite how horrifying they look, it becomes hard to be scarred of something when you see its organs cut in half like swiss cheese.

These are the only things that I felt compelled to feedback on, and I still very much love this game. It just doesn't feel right that these had to be a issue when the game was basically my game of the year. This is all really just nit-picking and I feel like the Modding community got a lot done in order to fix these problems for their maps. The amount of corner hugging I did early on was out of direct fear of the monster I just barely saw, but when you get to look at the thing you fear through a micro-scope, everything that made that monster scary is gone. I loved, BLOODY LOVED the fact that early on you only saw like the bare ass of the monster, if you were lucky, but at the end you see it every 10 minutes while it walks past a torch. At the end of the game all my corner hugging was out of routine instead of out of fear of death.

The story was phenomal and the gameplay was what a Survival horror should be, if they ever make a sequel, please try too, this game is just too good to go without a new game in the same format. Even a new penumbra game.
11-28-2011, 03:57 AM
Find
Zoridium JackL Offline

Threads: 0
RE: I have a few things to say.

I agree with point one, there are far too many tinderboxes, but that's because a lot of players use them like wildfire, it's only really once you get a grip on things that you realize that you only need them in a few instances, so i think the amount is justified, especially give the other reason you provided of them eliminating hiding spots, however, i found them really useful in creating hiding holes, where you were hidden from one side and completely safe on the other (and the perma light meant you wouldn't lose sanity)

as too the lantern oil, i completely disagree, there is just the right amount, especially for a new player, as for the players that know when to use it effectively and how to move about quickly (and efficiently) I found that there was too much even, I frequently finish the game with several extra bottles of oil.

and seeing something does diminish it's scare factor, but so does never getting attacked by it, if it never comes at you than you don't fear it because you know it won't attack you, and it can't really attack you without showing itself, it's a tradeoff, and one that works for most gamers, but more importantly, it's part of MODERN HORROR.

oh modern horror, how i hate thee, IMO the best horror came in the 70-80's period (although i say that about most genre that isn't straight up action or animation), perfect example, the thing, the carpenter version is a great horror movie (personal fav) and the new the thing is pretty good too, but suffers from modern horror syndrome, in that it has all the downfalls of modern horror movie and other than that is actually pretty good (would have been great if they made it 20 years ago... oh wait), i could ramble like this all day, but i won't.

so to sum it all up, it's a trade off, more fun and exiting game play or more straight up horror, they need to find a balance and i think they did it pretty well.
11-28-2011, 06:04 AM
Find
BendyBread Offline

Threads: 2

1. Yes, oh god. I had like 35 tinderboxes by the end of the game. Though to be fair I didn't use them that much.
2. I disagree. I had like 9-11 oils left at the end, and I did use my lantern a lot. The idea is not to run around with your lantern on 24/7, you need to balance the use between light and dark. For example, in the prison there is LOTS of already-lit torches on the walls. You have almost no need to use your lantern for the majority of the time.

3. Personal preference I think. I was scared through the whole game. Though to the best of my knowledge, you dont see many of the grunts after you see the half-cut one. You see the brutes from then on out most of the time. But regardless of how often you see them, I was still scared as a 4 year old girl. :3
11-28-2011, 10:16 AM
Find
BlueFury Offline

Threads: 30

in other words, just use more tinderboxes.

Sticks and stones may break our bones, but words will break our hearts. – Robert Fulghum
11-28-2011, 04:53 PM
Find
Juby Away

Threads: 2

1. I do agree, I had something like 53 tinderboxes at the end of the game. Probably due to me exploring every single area, but I did use them a bunch.

2. Oil is how tinderboxes should be... scattered. In fact, I think there should be less oil because you honestly really never run into a point where you have no oil at all.

3. I have mixed feelings on this one; I am a complete wimp with monsters, but most of the time you can just camp in a corner and wait for the music to stop. (Side Note - FG should have removed the music caused by monsters IMO.)

Insanity. Static.
11-29-2011, 03:13 AM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

Wasn't the amount of oil being moderated by the script depends on how often do you use it? I'm talking about oil tanks mostly, not bottles.

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
11-30-2011, 01:02 AM
Find
Zoridium JackL Offline

(11-30-2011, 01:02 AM)Kein Wrote: Wasn't the amount of oil being moderated by the script depends on how often do you use it? I'm talking about oil tanks mostly, not bottles.
yeah, oil tanks would change ho much oil they gave you depending on how much oil you already had, but all the other oil was standard (except the big one)

11-30-2011, 05:48 AM
Find
OptimusMX Offline

Threads: 1

1. Tinderboxes are too plentiful. I'm still in the process of my first run and I'm at around 50 or so of them. Call it my OCD but I love to check every little nook and cranny for secrets.

2. Its just fine. There is just enough oil to get through the game, even more so if you know how to manage your lantern use.

3. Even though they are plentiful, you don't ever get a good look till you are spotted, and even then you don't see it till your killed.
12-03-2011, 04:22 PM
Find
Scooch Offline

I ended the game with 13 oil cans and 40 tinderboxes. I feel monsters appeared a healthy amount of times.
01-17-2012, 06:33 AM
Find