Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Things that would have made Amnesia scarier
xdeath Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Things that would have made Amnesia scarier

Slender Man.
09-25-2011, 06:55 PM
Find
Phobos001 Offline

Threads: 0

IMHO I think a randomization factor would of made replayability alot of fun; The fact that not everything is the same every time you play it would really spice things up! Smile
11-14-2011, 11:27 PM
Find
Kikiyodragon Offline

Threads: 0

My idea to make the "monster in the closet" trick work, would to simply have no real monster. Either a hallucination due to low sanity, or perhaps, a bloodied mess of a corpse could be in there, possibly fall out of the closet when you first open it, kind of like the skulls in the study's drawer.

I also think things, either hallucinations or not, could jump out at you, such as something to appear to move under the pile of corpses in the morgue, or the severed dog head on the table in the study could suddenly "leap" at you. Perhaps "ghosts" of past victims could appear as well, with a low enough sanity level, in the storage, prison or torture rooms.

I also agree with reflections and shadows sometimes appearing, be they cast from monster or nothingness, or perhaps something that looks like a monster, but isn't, such as a statue or pile of rubble or objects cleverly arranged.

The idea of a room appearing orderly upon first visit, clearing through after a puzzle or item is picked up, and returning to the once-pristine room, only to see it a mess of broken or knocked about furniture, books and other objects, and maybe claw marks in the floor or walls, would be neat. Perhaps some broken glass here or there too. Also, the idea of wandering through a pitch-black room, completing a puzzle, and then turning around to see the lights have come on and reveal that the room is full of gore or other disturbing visuals.

A fairly intelligent enemy, only seen once or twice in the game, would be neat. Include a sort of chase where the player must hide, and said enemy will search every crevice it can. You must do what you can to either distract it or hope and wait for it to look for you in a different area, and take this as your chance to escape. You run down hallways or tunnels, and climbing onto ledges will do no good, as this creature can do the same. Maybe have the end of it chase you up a ladder and onto a rickety bridge or board over a long fall. You manage to get across safely if you reach the bridge in time, but the enemy is too heavy for the bridge and it snaps under its weight, sending it down to murky depths below.

That's all I can think of for now. Smile
11-15-2011, 04:26 AM
Find
Keratheras Offline

Threads: 1

I think if they made it scarier, the game would be unplayable, or even Actually give heart attacks to people who aren't good at scary stuff, like me.
But if Amnesia could be uped in scary levels, well i have some ideas! >Big Grin

- Have times where Daniel hllucinates being in a completely dark room, save for a candle and he gets massed by like ten enemies, he falls unconcious and wakes up at the point in the level.

- The Insane version of Alexander's picture, that if you stare at it long enough it will do one of three things.
Expand and make wierd ass noises.
Go out of the picture frame like a 3D movie and slowly try to grab you.
Start talking and making alien speech noises, while looking Right at you.

- Vision zooming on enemies when sanity is low, mainly around their face, while this happens you see Gatherers drooling, or even with a look of complete craziness. You know gatherers having a completely feral and pissed look when the vision zooms with almost gone sanity.

- Like Seanz said, with the extra monster, but i think there should be a level where you can see what the Shadow of the Orb, actually looks like. I'd have an idea that it would be this four-legged beast with tons of small, scary tendrils poking out of it's mouth, red eyes, and it being Huge.

- When you see the dead dogs, the stuffed one should come to life and try to attack you, except when it would kill you, it would only be an elaborate hallucination.

- I would have liked to see the others, not the painting one, but if all of them were put in, it would ruin it for me. I'm really scared of the game in general as i type this, but the game is in such a way that it is so hard to not try playing it some more.

Quite honestly i hope FG never changes a single thing, maybe adding in difficulties for those who are less brave (difficulties would just lessen the scary elements, or dull them down). Although I jump whenever i see a monster, but Alexander's Insaneface just freaking scares me so bad, everytime i see it.If i were tonot get scared by it, it would require me to desensitize myself with my own emotions. I would love a mod that took out that painting, and replaced it with something nice like food or a happy place.
11-30-2011, 07:28 AM
Find
Unearthlybrutal Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 12

Ghosts/poltergeist at the first levels to make scary feeling to the player

When Life No Longer Exists
Full-conversion mod
11-30-2011, 04:56 PM
Website Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246

Actually there's nothing to make the game scarier.
It is most scary as possible.
11-30-2011, 08:32 PM
Find
Hunter of Shadows Offline

Threads: 21

(11-30-2011, 08:32 PM)Googolplex Wrote: Actually there's nothing to make the game scarier.
It is most scary as possible.
And that is an opinion good sir, one that I will disagree with, if FG had the budget and more staff, I'm sure they could have actually done a lot more to make this game more scary
12-01-2011, 12:30 AM
Website Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246

(12-01-2011, 12:30 AM)Hunter of Shadows Wrote: And that is an opinion good sir, one that I will disagree with, if FG had the budget and more staff, I'm sure they could have actually done a lot more to make this game more scary
They don't need a big budget.

They have their self-made engine and the tools to create the game.
I'm sure, they included all the best ideas they had for Amnesia, they don't let things out, how it is when a publisher jostle to release the game when it isn't ready.
So we get a high-quality game.
The only thing what costs money are the external workers like story writer, composer and voice talents.
For a game you don't need a big budget.
It's not a cinematic action game with high-end blockbuster effects.
Look at the custom stories, the people create without a budget. They work in their free time.

FrictionalGames does the same, they all work at home and meet in the internet only.
A big budget is nice to have, but doesn't influence the quality of the game anyway.
You can make a shit game with big budget and good games without a budget.

It's not the budget, what makes a good game, it's the developers.

(This post was last modified: 12-01-2011, 05:10 PM by Googolplex.)
12-01-2011, 05:02 PM
Find
CorinthianMerchant Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 84

I don't think he original game can be much scarier. but in CSs...

Find your way through a pitch dark room with a monster.

Make a Justin Bieber monster...

Quote: - Like Seanz said, with the extra monster, but i think there should be a level where you can see what the Shadow of the Orb, actually looks like. I'd have an idea that it would be this four-legged beast with tons of small, scary tendrils poking out of it's mouth, red eyes, and it being Huge.

You actually see the shadow TWICE (when escaping The Cells and entering the Inner Sactum). It looks like a red coud coming against you leaving a trail of red goo.

Still hasn't gotten over the loss of wubwub...
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2011, 05:54 PM by CorinthianMerchant.)
12-01-2011, 05:50 PM
Find
Hunter of Shadows Offline

Threads: 21

(12-01-2011, 05:02 PM)Googolplex Wrote:
(12-01-2011, 12:30 AM)Hunter of Shadows Wrote: And that is an opinion good sir, one that I will disagree with, if FG had the budget and more staff, I'm sure they could have actually done a lot more to make this game more scary
They don't need a big budget.

They have their self-made engine and the tools to create the game.
I'm sure, they included all the best ideas they had for Amnesia, they don't let things out, how it is when a publisher jostle to release the game when it isn't ready.
So we get a high-quality game.
The only thing what costs money are the external workers like story writer, composer and voice talents.
For a game you don't need a big budget.
It's not a cinematic action game with high-end blockbuster effects.
Look at the custom stories, the people create without a budget. They work in their free time.

FrictionalGames does the same, they all work at home and meet in the internet only.
A big budget is nice to have, but doesn't influence the quality of the game anyway.
You can make a shit game with big budget and good games without a budget.

It's not the budget, what makes a good game, it's the developers.
You're completely missing the point, I'm not saying it's not the developers, I'm saying they could have done more with more money, and a lot of their commentary and things they've said proves this, for example they wanted to make more monsters, but couldn't because of budget constraints, they probably wanted to add more npc models, but couldn't because of budget constraints.

Because models, dialogue, audio, animations are expensive.

They were barely making ends meet when they were in the process of making Amnesia, the fact they made such a stunningly successful game is a testament to their skill as developers, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't have liked to do more if they'd had more money

12-01-2011, 08:07 PM
Website Find