Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3.63 Average
To Give Is To Force
soobaek1 Offline

Threads: 0
RE: To Give Is To Force

Hi, is the storyline an analogy to the process of abortion?

If it's true, I hail to you. You're brilliant!
12-13-2011, 08:05 PM
Find
MooseTheScared Offline

Threads: 1

Never had time before to play this one, but today I finished it. Very good story indeed, despite the weird monster spawns. Actually they didn't seem too weird considering the overall atmosphere of madness and surrealism of the story.

The end was the most confusing part for me:
Spoiler below!

I couldn't figure out the connection between the protagonist and the grunt monsters. As I understood the whole story consisted of visions of possible protagonist transformations if he would be forced to be born against his will, but what's with the grunt that killed itself in the cave beneath the stares? And with transformation after the sacrifice? Did the protagonist turn into some kind of monster and that's why he wanted never to be born in the first place?

12-22-2011, 02:15 PM
Find
convolution223 Offline

Threads: 15

(12-13-2011, 08:05 PM)soobaek1 Wrote: Hi, is the storyline an analogy to the process of abortion?

If it's true, I hail to you. You're brilliant!

Thank you! That I got you to analyze and interpret what I made is the ultimate reward for my hard work. I was very happy to read this.

To answer your question: Yes, I would say so.

(12-22-2011, 02:15 PM)Romendakil Wrote: Never had time before to play this one, but today I finished it. Very good story indeed, despite the weird monster spawns. Actually they didn't seem too weird considering the overall atmosphere of madness and surrealism of the story.

The end was the most confusing part for me:
Spoiler below!

I couldn't figure out the connection between the protagonist and the grunt monsters. As I understood the whole story consisted of visions of possible protagonist transformations if he would be forced to be born against his will, but what's with the grunt that killed itself in the cave beneath the stares? And with transformation after the sacrifice? Did the protagonist turn into some kind of monster and that's why he wanted never to be born in the first place?

Thanks!
The main plot guidelines I wanted to make sure were possible interpretations for the story are in the Extras folder included within this Custom Story's folder (they're written in my sketchbook so I took photos). I'm sorry but I don't want to answer any story questions directly because I don't want to tell people what to think. I tried to make something that gets you to think and is personal to me, but is able to be personal to others, too. I feel like an absolute, definitive story would alienate people from really identifying with the mood I was going for (and I know how odd it is for me to talk about alienating people when the graphic nature and horror in it is inherently alienating to some). But I think I can answer that last question without stepping on others' interpretations. The protagonist certainly felt like he was a monster, whether or not he truly was one, or if he was destined to become one from the start is up for debate.
I don't mean to shirk your questions but part of the fun is coming up with the answers yourselves. Recently I've developed this absurdist viewpoint where I believe reality cannot be seen objectively. So it is what it is to you and that's just as true as anyone else's opinion.
But please, discuss your opinions. Other people's thoughts help broaden our own perspectives and it's all very interesting.
I want to make smart games that start discussions. Smile

(This post was last modified: 12-23-2011, 01:24 AM by convolution223.)
12-23-2011, 01:01 AM
Find
MooseTheScared Offline

Threads: 1

(12-23-2011, 01:01 AM)convolution223 Wrote: I don't mean to shirk your questions but part of the fun is coming up with the answers yourselves.

I actually didn't expect to get a crystal-clear explanation of the storylineSmile Was just asking to make sure I hadn't missed something important. I do enjoy stories where there is space for different interpretations (as in original Amnesia itself) and which are real stories with some ideas behind them, setting a mood corresponding to those ideas. You did a good job creating such a story, so I wish you good luck with your future projects!
12-23-2011, 08:51 AM
Find
convolution223 Offline

(12-23-2011, 08:51 AM)Romendakil Wrote:
(12-23-2011, 01:01 AM)convolution223 Wrote: I don't mean to shirk your questions but part of the fun is coming up with the answers yourselves.

I actually didn't expect to get a crystal-clear explanation of the storylineSmile Was just asking to make sure I hadn't missed something important. I do enjoy stories where there is space for different interpretations (as in original Amnesia itself) and which are real stories with some ideas behind them, setting a mood corresponding to those ideas. You did a good job creating such a story, so I wish you good luck with your future projects!
Thanks again! I don't think you missed anything. Except you've thought about the grunt monsters but what about the invisible creature that chases you down the tunnel, leaving swarms of flies in its wake? Another possible transformation or is it something else entirely? Wink

12-23-2011, 06:23 PM
Find
SierenH Offline

Threads: 2

Spoiler below!
I found a key but I tried all the doors i could find and it wouldnt open any of them
12-25-2011, 02:18 AM
Find
NurseRedheartFiM Offline

Only thing I've had trouble with is the pus, the other two things I've found. Other than that this is a very nice CS so far
Spoiler below!
I especially like the lighting in the windows room (The room before the staircase)
(This post was last modified: 08-13-2012, 10:06 AM by NurseRedheartFiM.)
08-13-2012, 09:54 AM
Find
convolution223 Offline

(08-13-2012, 09:54 AM)ZomBrony Wrote: Only thing I've had trouble with is the pus, the other two things I've found. Other than that this is a very nice CS so far
Spoiler below!
I especially like the lighting in the windows room (The room before the staircase)
Thank you! Big Grin I already have a story and levels planned out for another Custom Story. I'm just waiting to see the new game engine HPL3. I've also been working on a movie script (it's now 115 pages, so maybe it'll be a novel, or a series of films, or both!). This is the first time I'm telling anyone about that so congrats, you're the first to know! If it becomes a hit, you can gloat about it. It's not a horror movie or any kind of movie really. i'm going to try something new.

If you need help with the pus:
Spoiler below!
you need to pop the boils with something sharp and have a glass jar to put it in, combine items in your inventory, let me know if you need help finding the items
(This post was last modified: 08-14-2012, 03:02 AM by convolution223.)
08-13-2012, 06:17 PM
Find
Alordex Offline

Brilliant story-line. Good gameplay, and overall really fun!

The only part I had trouble with was the spider legs.
What confused me was the name Nemjawhatsit. It made
me think to look for giant man eating spiders, not a little spider
laying on its back next to a spiderweb.

5/5 Great Fantastic map.
09-10-2012, 05:36 AM
Find
convolution223 Offline

Thanks, I did a bit of research on things, so the nemisiidae spider is a real thing and they are actually much smaller. But I see your point.
I chose them for their lying-in-waiting-whilst-hiding method of preparing themselves to pounce on their prey.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nemesiidae

Big Grin I really appreciate that last sentence. Made me smile. Thanks
(09-10-2012, 05:36 AM)Alordex Wrote: Brilliant story-line. Good gameplay, and overall really fun!

The only part I had trouble with was the spider legs.
What confused me was the name Nemjawhatsit. It made
me think to look for giant man eating spiders, not a little spider
laying on its back next to a spiderweb.

5/5 Great Fantastic map.
09-10-2012, 07:03 AM
Find