Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 84 Vote(s) - 4.31 Average
White Night - Total Conversion v1.1
lizard lips Offline

Threads: 12
RE: White Night - Total Conversion v1.1

Wanted to get it, but it says theres no mirror, but there was a mirror yesterday. What happened?
(This post was last modified: 02-08-2012, 10:37 PM by lizard lips.)
02-08-2012, 10:36 PM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17

(02-08-2012, 10:36 PM)lizard lips Wrote: Wanted to get it, but it says theres no mirror, but there was a mirror yesterday. What happened?
It's something to do with ModDB servers. Likely, they will get back working soon.
I wouldn't recommend downloading from elsewhere because they have old version of the game.

(02-08-2012, 08:35 PM)djdori11 Wrote: Hey Tanshaydar I just want to thank you very very much for creating White Night and releasing it for free and stuff. I finished it today and I liked it a lot! It was amazing! And I even liked the ending even though most people hated it. It has an amazing freaky story and very atmospheric gameplay and good puzzles, although you could include some more monsters. I have a bit of bad stuff to say about the game but these are very minor so I'll just say the good stuff which is everything about the game. Amazing work making it a long mod and making such a big TC which change Amnesia from years 1800 to 2000 and much more. Keep it up, can't wait to see more stuff from you. I have an idea of something you could do - make like a little expansion for White Night that will explain the story more and add some stuff that was missing in the original White Night and will have an normal ending so other people will calm down. But anyway thanks again Tanshaydar for really making the best singleplayer mod of 2011, I like White Night more than Amnesia and Justine! I hope you have a nice day.

I'm glad you enjoyed and thanks for the kind words.
The reason most people hate ending is that they either watch Let's Play videos where Let's Player doesn't read notes or misses a lot of things; or even worse, they don't read notes or care what happens. I've seen people skipping notes, talking to themselves during cutscenes. I'm surprised that they actually expect to understand the story with that kind of attitude, so I really don't care if they don't get it or they hate it. Only Let's Player managed to get everything in game was my fellow developer Russ Money, and he has the closest understanding of script to what I actually put in the game. So, I'm glad you enjoyed ending too, that makes me happier.

With all the notes, cutscenes and flashbacks; David's story is complete. There is no need to say more about him. However, I had two expansions in my mind, which I've stated in modsentry interview; but later, after I've seen how people react to story, I gave up. I mainly thought about back-story of Sofia and Patrick, because their motives, pasts and characteristics weren't deeply inspected in White Night. I have a history for Patrick, reasons for Sofia; but when big majority of people play White Night just for its scares, why should I bother for expansions that will cover the story -which people don't care at all- instead of scares.

As a side note, I thought about multiple endings. In the end, any ending other than the current one just couldn't fit. You can imagine any ending you want, but after going through everything in White Night, all but current one would ruin something. Or it's just that I'm not a good ending person Smile

I know I wrote a long post, but I piled my thoughts and while I have the opportunity, I felt like expressing them Shy

And if it's ok for you, I'd like to hear what you didn't like in White Night, because for my next project I'm taking all the good and bad sides of White Night into consideration.

(This post was last modified: 02-09-2012, 12:30 AM by Tanshaydar.)
02-09-2012, 12:29 AM
Website Find
steeler989 Offline

Threads: 0

Well then at least make a new modern project for Amnesia. NEVER GIVE UP ON AMNESIA!!! NEVER!!!
02-09-2012, 04:28 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(02-09-2012, 04:28 AM)steeler989 Wrote: Well then at least make a new modern project for Amnesia. NEVER GIVE UP ON AMNESIA!!! NEVER!!!
PROBABLY not the best thing to say...

Posting Freak
02-09-2012, 05:55 AM
Website Find
Cryaotic Offline

Threads: 13

(02-09-2012, 04:28 AM)steeler989 Wrote: Well then at least make a new modern project for Amnesia. NEVER GIVE UP ON AMNESIA!!! NEVER!!!
The problem with only sticking to the HPL2 engine is you are severely limited in things modders would like to do.

Letting Tan branch out into other engines will help him open up possibilities for things he would not have been able to do in the engine Amnesia runs on - that is not to say HPL2 is a bad engine it's simply limited in certain respects.

Let the man do as he pleases I say.

02-09-2012, 07:50 AM
Find
djdori11 Offline

Threads: 1

(02-09-2012, 12:29 AM)Tanshaydar Wrote: And if it's ok for you, I'd like to hear what you didn't like in White Night, because for my next project I'm taking all the good and bad sides of White Night into consideration.
Hey thanks for answering I can understand what you're saying. It's okay.
Now about what I didn't like about White Night is:
1. Not enough story explanation. I mean, I liked the ideas and the story of White Night but still you need to investigate it to understand it good, so you could made it a bit more understandable. But overall I really liked the crazy story and story telling and I like bad endings too Wink
2. Some strange sections - the brick section is really too long and frustrating. And some puzzles like the key in the bath could have been explained a bit by a note or something..
3. Little bugs like stopping music and if the first monster kills you, when you respawn it's gone.
Oh and there are bugs that probably caused from your changes to the Amnesia style but are still strange:
The hint says avoid looking at enemies or your sanity will drain but it will always drain just before "Crystal Clear" changes. It can't get worse than "Crystal Clear" which is strange, and also sometimes your sanity drains in the darkness and sometimes not, so this is strange too.
4. Not enough action, cutscenes, dialog. There are really not enough monsters and jumpscares in the game. There are a lot of points in the game where you just walking a very very long hallway which is strange. And making that game less scary or interesting.
So I think that's all the stuff that you could improve, I really can't wait for your next game. Be sure to reference White Night and Amnesia in it too Wink
(This post was last modified: 02-09-2012, 05:25 PM by djdori11.)
02-09-2012, 01:18 PM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

I personally would love to stick to HPL2, though the limitations are not something I'd overcome with tricks this time. Waiting for HPL3 is another idea but I don't think it will be as easy as HPL2 to deal with. Also, as much as I love this community and people in it, White Night is the best I could give.

@djdori11
Thanks for taking your time.
Sanity system is something I tried to get rid off, but after a save/load it comes back, and I had to re-disable it manually in game.

(This post was last modified: 02-09-2012, 06:00 PM by Tanshaydar.)
02-09-2012, 05:59 PM
Website Find
djdori11 Offline

(02-09-2012, 05:59 PM)Tanshaydar Wrote: I personally would love to stick to HPL2, though the limitations are not something I'd overcome with tricks this time. Waiting for HPL3 is another idea but I don't think it will be as easy as HPL2 to deal with. Also, as much as I love this community and people in it, White Night is the best I could give.

@djdori11
Thanks for taking your time.
Sanity system is something I tried to get rid off, but after a save/load it comes back, and I had to re-disable it manually in game.
No problem.
Btw man, did you already start making your next game, or you still writing it and stuff?
Can you make a progress report or something? I'm looking forward to this game Wink
Oh and, did you ever wrote the real White Night story explanation? I want to see if my understanding of the story is right or not..
02-10-2012, 03:48 PM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

(02-10-2012, 03:48 PM)djdori11 Wrote: No problem.
Btw man, did you already start making your next game, or you still writing it and stuff?
Can you make a progress report or something? I'm looking forward to this game Wink
Oh and, did you ever wrote the real White Night story explanation? I want to see if my understanding of the story is right or not..

I can't give any info about it at the moment. I'm behind the roadmap.
I have a game design document for White Night, and every single info is in there, but I didn't write a public explanation. There is no need to ruin people's different explanations and interpretations.
I can easily say no one got the complete story, however there are few who got close. Russ Money's explanation is the closest one.

02-10-2012, 05:22 PM
Website Find
djdori11 Offline

(02-10-2012, 05:22 PM)Tanshaydar Wrote:
(02-10-2012, 03:48 PM)djdori11 Wrote: No problem.

I can't give any info about it at the moment. I'm behind the roadmap.
I have a game design document for White Night, and every single info is in there, but I didn't write a public explanation. There is no need to ruin people's different explanations and interpretations.
I can easily say no one got the complete story, however there are few who got close. Russ Money's explanation is the closest one.
Okay, so what is Russ Money's explanation?

02-10-2012, 06:01 PM
Find