Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3.75 Average
No more Jump scare maps....it is getting unoriginal.
BlueFury Offline

Threads: 30
RE: No more Jump scare maps....it is getting unoriginal.

The type of jumpscares i like are more for increasing the atmosphere, for example: falling items in front of you by someone walking upstairs.

The bad type of jumpscares in my opinion are the flying bodies.

Sticks and stones may break our bones, but words will break our hearts. – Robert Fulghum
02-07-2012, 10:19 AM
Find
UnseenLegend ( NL ) Offline

Threads: 10

But i'm going for the 24/7 jump scares maybe a few.
But im more like the creepy and irritating atmosphere, Like The area around you leaking walls, black leaks.
And random creepy noise and Confusion.
Put all to my story.

[Image: read-image.asp?n=n-20121202110321-m.jpg&r=8]
(This post was last modified: 02-07-2012, 01:38 PM by UnseenLegend ( NL ).)
02-07-2012, 01:37 PM
Find
Miss Rigi Offline

Threads: 3

Honestly, the elimination of jump scares all together wouldn't do as much good as it should. What instead should happen is the use of a proper scare formula.

Whether this is having a series of buildups that climax as a scare or establishing a norm within the game and then breaking it depends on the maker of the story.

Vos rapio meus spiritus absentis.
Voice Actress
02-07-2012, 11:33 PM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 20

I think everybody agrees that only "noobs" use jumpscares in horror, but I went into FEAR 2 with the pretty common attitude of "Do your worst, Alma. Cool " and I staggered out of that APC a bitchslapped man with an adjusted attitude. Although it's cheap, it's okay exactly ONCE per story. ...or a hundred times if you are positive that only immature people will play the story.

Noob scripting tutorial: From Noob to Pro

04-03-2012, 05:04 AM
Find
Frankiescou Offline

Threads: 5

There is nothing wrong with Jumpscares. People make those custom stories because a portion of the people like jumpscares, thats why there is also a portion of "serious" or "atmosphere" custom stories.
You should respect other peoples likes, and they shall respect your likes.
(Except for, ya know, trolls and haters)

My YouTube!
Oatmeal? ARE YOU CRAZY?!
04-03-2012, 05:22 AM
Website Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

(02-06-2012, 09:31 AM)Mattias Wrote:
(02-04-2012, 05:03 PM)Prelauncher Wrote: where you hear strange sounds around you
If you're a modder, you'll realize that random sounds are just scripts that doesn't do anything ^^
There was this map that had ambient sounds of doors being broken down and grunts growling. While it got really overdone and annoying, it made even experienced players uneasy.

The original game used ambient sounds as if Daniel can hear ghosts and memories, and while that's one way of declaring what went on in a place, I don't find it scary, and some places felt so packed with singing sirens and fog, that it started to feel crowded. "I get it! It's haunted! Now shut up!" Sometimes less is more, but I guess it depends on how much imagination you have as a player, and if you read story notes or not.

04-03-2012, 05:25 AM
Find
Kaizy Offline

Threads: 0

Jumpscares are getting a little out of hand but if there's maybe one or two in a map of average length then I wont have problems with that. If it's a map with a plethora of really amateur jumpscares (long corridors/obvious closet scares), then there's no excuse for it.

I play Amnesia Custom Stories a couple times a week on Livestream
Its great fun
http://www.livestream.com/kaizy
Steam account: Krazyw0lfie
04-03-2012, 06:36 AM
Find
Tekkie Offline

Threads: 1

(02-02-2012, 01:43 AM)MrTerribleNightmares Wrote:
Title says it all. I am sick of jump scare maps, it is just not scary anymore. If anyone has a good map WITH NO JUMP SCARES please send it my way, i am bored and have nothing to do.
^This. It's so upsetting when people put a lot of time and effort into a map, only to fill it with naked bodies that suddenly appear and scream loudly when you trigger a script-area; maps should create an unforgettable atmosphere, not just aim to make you jump as much as possible. Remember that first time you were walking down a dark corridor in Amnesia without any oil left in your lantern? The only thing you could hear was the steady 'clicking' of your sanity draining, and other random creepy noises? Back when you couldn't distinguish between hearing a monster nearby and the wind? Yeah... for a map to get more that a 2/5 stars for me, the map itself has to be beautifully made to work with the most fitting sounds chosen for use, the appropriate jump-scares, the correct timings, and a gripping storyline. As a mapper, I can appreciate that maps can take a very, very long time to complete, even when working as part of a team, however... as a scripter, I know for a damn fact there's more that can be done to scare a player than throwing a body at them, or having a scary face suddenly appear for no reason.
(This post was last modified: 04-05-2012, 07:55 AM by Tekkie.)
04-05-2012, 07:52 AM
Website Find
Tiiwh Offline

Threads: 6

The reason why people are making a lot of custom stories with many flying naked men is because a lot of people are looking for that specific custom stories, there are a lot of people that actually enjoy these hundreds of jumpscares. That is why people make them, even though mostly of the ones are just being lazy.

[Image: deaceaf76907.gif]
04-05-2012, 11:03 AM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

How about this? How about we ask the creator how many jumpscares his story contains, before we play the next story? In that way, everybody wins. We could sort the stories according to the number of jumpscares on a review list.

04-05-2012, 11:51 AM
Find