Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 1
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 20
RE: Custom stories with Machine for Pigs?

I'm amused by the fact that this topic was basically construed out of thin air, and yet it gets this many replies. Was there even a doubt that any future releases would also contain some form of modding support? (Don't answer that.)

Noob scripting tutorial: From Noob to Pro

(This post was last modified: 05-07-2012, 07:29 AM by Cranky Old Man.)
05-07-2012, 07:29 AM
Find
BrooksyFC Offline

Threads: 11
RE: Is Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs the game they've been talking about?

(05-07-2012, 12:31 AM)joshzilla Wrote: I'm just curious; does anyone know
the date for when this comes out?
Or is it all rumors and guessing for now?
It would be nice to know some information.

All we know it's going to be a LOT scarier than The Dark Decent. Out sometime near Halloween.

Think A Little, Change A Lot
(This post was last modified: 05-08-2012, 08:43 AM by BrooksyFC.)
05-08-2012, 08:43 AM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

(05-08-2012, 08:43 AM)BrooksyFC Wrote:
(05-07-2012, 12:31 AM)joshzilla Wrote: I'm just curious; does anyone know
the date for when this comes out?
Or is it all rumors and guessing for now?
It would be nice to know some information.

All we know it's going to be a LOT scarier than The Dark Decent. Out sometime near Halloween.
What? Who said that it was going to be a lot scarier? The developers? Of course they're going to say that, and probably believe in it too - what developer wouldn't?
My guess is that it's going to be more like Dear Eshter: More scenic, disturbing and surreal. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but Dear Eshter wasn't a directly scary game, so I've have yet to see proof that The Chinese Room can make truly scary games. I'm mostly curious as to how the story arcs and ends, and about if there's going to be any new scripting commands.

(This post was last modified: 05-08-2012, 11:13 AM by Cranky Old Man.)
05-08-2012, 11:12 AM
Find
BrooksyFC Offline

Threads: 11

Yeah I love the atmosphere to Dear Esther. Personally, I prefer a game with less monsters, just creates a better atmosphere. Like in most custom stories, I find jump scares and monster scenes over used, but people do still get really scared by them.

I just hope they have a great story line, atmospheric setting, some good music like on Dear Esther and a bit more freedom with wide open scenes (along with the great horror elements)

http://www.nowgamer.com/features/1272894...aters.html

Think A Little, Change A Lot
(This post was last modified: 05-08-2012, 11:52 AM by BrooksyFC.)
05-08-2012, 11:52 AM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(05-08-2012, 11:52 AM)BrooksyFC Wrote: Yeah I love the atmosphere to Dear Esther. Personally, I prefer a game with less monsters, just creates a better atmosphere. Like in most custom stories, I find jump scares and monster scenes over used, but people do still get really scared by them.

I just hope they have a great story line, atmospheric setting, some good music like on Dear Esther and a bit more freedom with wide open scenes (along with the great horror elements)

Startled, not scared. You can argue semantics but the bottom line is there is no inherent uneasiness before or after a cheap jump scare, which makes it completely pointless. To quote Alfred Hitchcock: "There is no terror in the bang, only in the anticipation of it".

On topic though, am I the only worried about the title? A Machine for Pigs is alright, has a mysterious sound to it and sounds quite cool, but why does it carry the name Amnesia? I understand they are making it in the same universe, but if none of the characters are present (and probably not "the Shadow" either) then why call it Amnesia? One possible explanation is it involves a character with amnesia too and I'm not sure it would work as well a second time (prove me wrong FG!). We can do nothing but speculate at the moment, but this really doesn't seem related to Amnesia at all (though I'm sure it will be awesome).
05-09-2012, 03:14 PM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

RE: [www.nextfrictionalgame.com] Amnesia Discussion

(05-09-2012, 03:14 PM)Bridge Wrote:
(05-08-2012, 11:52 AM)BrooksyFC Wrote: Yeah I love the atmosphere to Dear Esther. Personally, I prefer a game with less monsters, just creates a better atmosphere. Like in most custom stories, I find jump scares and monster scenes over used, but people do still get really scared by them.

Startled, not scared. You can argue semantics but the bottom line is there is no inherent uneasiness before or after a cheap jump scare, which makes it completely pointless. To quote Alfred Hitchcock: "There is no terror in the bang, only in the anticipation of it".

On topic though, am I the only worried about the title? A Machine for Pigs is alright, has a mysterious sound to it and sounds quite cool, but why does it carry the name Amnesia? I understand they are making it in the same universe, but if none of the characters are present (and probably not "the Shadow" either) then why call it Amnesia? One possible explanation is it involves a character with amnesia too and I'm not sure it would work as well a second time (prove me wrong FG!). We can do nothing but speculate at the moment, but this really doesn't seem related to Amnesia at all (though I'm sure it will be awesome).
Franchise names are easy to get stuck in. Just look at Final Fantasy, a brand name that alone rescued a whole company from ruin. Unfortunately, this means that every sequel also has to take place in Silent Hill.

(This post was last modified: 05-09-2012, 03:42 PM by Cranky Old Man.)
05-09-2012, 03:41 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

(05-09-2012, 03:41 PM)Cranky Old Man Wrote:
(05-09-2012, 03:14 PM)Bridge Wrote:

Franchise names are easy to get stuck in. Just look at Final Fantasy, a brand name that alone rescued a whole company from ruin. Unfortunately, this means that every sequel also has to take place in Silent Hill.
But I don't think there is any foundation for a franchise as Amnesia doesn't have any overarching storyline; it's already been stated that AMFP is an indirect sequel. The title Amnesia is great because the game focuses centrally on amnesia and so it makes sense. I guess we'll just have to wait and see however whether AMFP is going to incorporate amnesia into its plot as well (which I said may not work again).
05-09-2012, 04:23 PM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

(05-09-2012, 04:23 PM)Bridge Wrote:
(05-09-2012, 03:41 PM)Cranky Old Man Wrote: Franchise names are easy to get stuck in. Just look at Final Fantasy, a brand name that alone rescued a whole company from ruin. Unfortunately, this means that every sequel also has to take place in Silent Hill.
But I don't think there is any foundation for a franchise as Amnesia doesn't have any overarching storyline; it's already been stated that AMFP is an indirect sequel. The title Amnesia is great because the game focuses centrally on amnesia and so it makes sense. I guess we'll just have to wait and see however whether AMFP is going to incorporate amnesia into its plot as well (which I said may not work again).
Personally, I don't care if the game features amnesia or not. What kind of a theme is amnesia? I also don't care if the next Amnesia focuses on Daniel, because that story arc had a closure. All I want to do is basically to hide from monsters and be scared.

05-09-2012, 04:31 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

(05-09-2012, 04:31 PM)Cranky Old Man Wrote:
(05-09-2012, 04:23 PM)Bridge Wrote:
(05-09-2012, 03:41 PM)Cranky Old Man Wrote: Franchise names are easy to get stuck in. Just look at Final Fantasy, a brand name that alone rescued a whole company from ruin. Unfortunately, this means that every sequel also has to take place in Silent Hill.
Personally, I don't care if the game features amnesia or not. What kind of a theme is amnesia? I also don't care if the next Amnesia focuses on Daniel, because that story arc had a closure. All I want to do is basically to hide from monsters and be scared.
Well it pretty much makes the title false which bugs me.
05-09-2012, 05:02 PM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

(05-09-2012, 05:02 PM)Bridge Wrote:
(05-09-2012, 04:31 PM)Cranky Old Man Wrote: Personally, I don't care if the game features amnesia or not. What kind of a theme is amnesia? I also don't care if the next Amnesia focuses on Daniel, because that story arc had a closure. All I want to do is basically to hide from monsters and be scared.
Well it pretty much makes the title false which bugs me.
If you're just wondering about whether AMFP will feature amnesia or not, then the creator has already answered that within the story description:
Spoiler below!
It will.

05-09-2012, 05:51 PM
Find