Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average
Amnesia: The Dark Descent - Dark Shadows
Techeable Offline

Threads: 1
Amnesia: The Dark Descent - Dark Shadows

Hi to all, it took like 3 weeks for me to make this map, because this is my fourth one Confused,

I'm presenting to you:
[Image: darkshadows.png](Image not made by me, however the Text "Dark Shadows" is made by me xD)

Description:

You are in the year 1852, your name is John and you live and work in a castle, but something bad happened and you are instructed to rest in your study with your friend Dave, but while you are there... working such as always, bad things are happening in the other Sectors of the Castle, you will find out what happened by exploring this Abandoned-Like Castle.

Screenshots:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/855/amnesia5.png/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/832/amnesia7.png/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/41/amnesia6.png/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/818/amnesia4.png/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/99/amnesia3.png/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/812/amnesia2g.png/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/28/amnesia1.png/

Download link:

Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?5ey7usem1swes63

Updates:

8/8/2012: Fixed a ScreenShake script problem, my fault :\
Fixed some script problems, like items not removing from the inventory, and an ending script.

8/9/2012: Improved atmosphere a little bit with boxlights and billboards, made some levels darker,
and replaced some puzzles with other puzzles (like instead of a key I made that you need to use a crowbar),
removed the ton of items that was gave to you at the beginning of the Custom Story,
removed flying naked guys script, it was not looking that good... removed the stone hammer and stone chipper script, it was a fail :\.

8/10/2012: Fixed a script that was not working, improved a little bit some billboards (not all, sorry for that :\).

8/11/2012: Fixed a bug that I didn't see in the Living Quarters.

Known Bugs:

Spoiler below!
1. Some monsters that when spawn and you don't look at them, they disappear (probably an AddEnemyPatrolNode problem).

2.My friend, when he tried to combine the Stone Hammer and the Chipper, the combination didn't work, but mine did.

The ending:

Spoiler below!
I know that the ending isn't that much exciting, so I'm going to change it a little in some days.

Now that I said everything, I hope you will enjoy my Custom Story and see ya! Tongue
(This post was last modified: 08-13-2012, 06:15 PM by Techeable.)
08-08-2012, 02:50 AM
Find
Fishnugget Offline

Threads: 6
RE: Amnesia: The Dark Descent - Dark Shadows

The map doesn't work
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2012, 07:17 AM by Fishnugget.)
08-08-2012, 06:54 AM
Find
linus22 Offline

Threads: 0

IS AWESOME! Big Grin
08-08-2012, 07:37 AM
Find
Techeable Offline

(08-08-2012, 06:54 AM)Fishnugget Wrote: The map doesn't work
What's the problem? maybe I can help...
08-08-2012, 01:32 PM
Find
Adny Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

*SPOILERS - Oh, and these are my opinions about this mod*

I played it up until the infirmary, and after exploring all the rooms couldn't find any way to progress; regardless, I think I got the gist of the overall quality of the mod. Here are my thoughts on things to improve for the future and a overall review:

Story: Unless there was some awe-inspiring plot twist at the end that I didn't experience, I'd say it was a pretty average story. For me, the story itself wasn't an issue, but the way it was told to the player was. The grammar, spelling and overall content of notes/diaries left a lot to be desired, I shouldn't need to spend 5 minutes figuring out what you're trying to tell me in a note. The actual information in the note was very bland as well, and in some cases didn't make any sense, be sure to add as much detail as possible; a bad note is just as immersion breaking as bad sound and bad visuals.

Intro: Camera work was a bit jerky, but overall good; I'd suggest adding some screen effects to simulate the grogginess when you wake up. Also, try to avoid dumping a ton of resources on the player at the very beginning of your mod, it takes away the feeling of accomplishment when the player searches through the environment and finds these things on their own.

Lighting: I found the lighting to be rather poor; it seems that in every level you didn't use a box light or any point lights. The way light travels and expands in the real world undoubtedly requires both of these things to be present if you have any major light source. It doesn't make sense to have a very wide open window with a significant amount of light coming through and have a pitch black corners in a room. Also, it seems many of your light sources cut through the walls they were mounted on, and spreading into the next room, which isn't very appealing visually. In terms of atmosphere, you need less overall lighting, it felt like everytime I looked around a corner there was a light; there's no mystery or build up when that happens because the player can see everything.

Environment: Some decent level design and a few cool hubs. It seems the extent of your detailing was adding a bed, some furniture and a few chairs. There were a quite few flickering/overlapping textures, I'd suggest you set up developer mode if you haven't already and test out your maps much more often. Most rooms felt empty; I'd rather see one small highly-detailed room than 10 large, rushed maps.

Billboards: Every window needs billboards. No exceptions. If done properly, it can look very beautiful.

Fog: You are using way too much fog. Fog is supposed to be a really subtle element, but leaving it default white and not fixing the fade distances looks very bad, especially when the fog cuts through walls and other objects in the environment. I'd suggest fixing the fade distance, setting the alpha value to 0.5f, and try to make the color of the fog match the nearest light source to it (i.e. orange if it were near a torch).

Scares: Far too many jump scares and flying naked guys for my taste. Amnesia is built around subtlety; jumpscares are a bore-fest o' snores. Focus on using very small, subtle sounds and environmental things; this is what Amnesia is all about. Also, there were a few very cool events that I haven't seen before and really enjoyed (i.e. the brute in the dungeon that breaks down the door/the surgery in the infirmary).

Design/Game play: A few of your level transitions didn't make sense, they didn't seem to follow any sort of logical progression (i.e. a mansion set bedroom to cellar/castle set dungeon). There were key hunts (sometimes multiple) in every level, try to think of more creative ways to have the player progress, or at the very least use items other than keys (i.e. crowbar, needle, etc). The level design in some areas felt a bit overwhelming, it felt like some of the hubs had hubs inside of them; I'm all for giving the player choices and the freedom to explore in their own desired order, but there has to be some limitation. Perhaps you could combine some of the very small levels together and decrease the total number of levels? Finally, one of the things that bothered me the most was that at the start of every level, the player would fall 2-3 meters. Please for the love of all that is good, make sure the PlayerStartArea and the floor the player is spawning on have the same vertical (y-axis) height. If the floor's y height is at 2.5, the PlayerStartArea should be as well.

Overall, I'd rate this 2.5/5. An average mod with a few unique events, and a cool story (bro).

I rate it 3 memes.
08-08-2012, 03:13 PM
Find
Techeable Offline

(08-08-2012, 03:13 PM)andyrockin123 Wrote: *SPOILERS - Oh, and these are my opinions about this mod*

I played it up until the infirmary, and after exploring all the rooms couldn't find any way to progress; regardless, I think I got the gist of the overall quality of the mod. Here are my thoughts on things to improve for the future and a overall review:

Story: Unless there was some awe-inspiring plot twist at the end that I didn't experience, I'd say it was a pretty average story. For me, the story itself wasn't an issue, but the way it was told to the player was. The grammar, spelling and overall content of notes/diaries left a lot to be desired, I shouldn't need to spend 5 minutes figuring out what you're trying to tell me in a note. The actual information in the note was very bland as well, and in some cases didn't make any sense, be sure to add as much detail as possible; a bad note is just as immersion breaking as bad sound and bad visuals.

Intro: Camera work was a bit jerky, but overall good; I'd suggest adding some screen effects to simulate the grogginess when you wake up. Also, try to avoid dumping a ton of resources on the player at the very beginning of your mod, it takes away the feeling of accomplishment when the player searches through the environment and finds these things on their own.

Lighting: I found the lighting to be rather poor; it seems that in every level you didn't use a box light or any point lights. The way light travels and expands in the real world undoubtedly requires both of these things to be present if you have any major light source. It doesn't make sense to have a very wide open window with a significant amount of light coming through and have a pitch black corners in a room. Also, it seems many of your light sources cut through the walls they were mounted on, and spreading into the next room, which isn't very appealing visually. In terms of atmosphere, you need less overall lighting, it felt like everytime I looked around a corner there was a light; there's no mystery or build up when that happens because the player can see everything.

Environment: Some decent level design and a few cool hubs. It seems the extent of your detailing was adding a bed, some furniture and a few chairs. There were a quite few flickering/overlapping textures, I'd suggest you set up developer mode if you haven't already and test out your maps much more often. Most rooms felt empty; I'd rather see one small highly-detailed room than 10 large, rushed maps.

Billboards: Every window needs billboards. No exceptions. If done properly, it can look very beautiful.

Fog: You are using way too much fog. Fog is supposed to be a really subtle element, but leaving it default white and not fixing the fade distances looks very bad, especially when the fog cuts through walls and other objects in the environment. I'd suggest fixing the fade distance, setting the alpha value to 0.5f, and try to make the color of the fog match the nearest light source to it (i.e. orange if it were near a torch).

Scares: Far too many jump scares and flying naked guys for my taste. Amnesia is built around subtlety; jumpscares are a bore-fest o' snores. Focus on using very small, subtle sounds and environmental things; this is what Amnesia is all about. Also, there were a few very cool events that I haven't seen before and really enjoyed (i.e. the brute in the dungeon that breaks down the door/the surgery in the infirmary).

Design/Game play: A few of your level transitions didn't make sense, they didn't seem to follow any sort of logical progression (i.e. a mansion set bedroom to cellar/castle set dungeon). There were key hunts (sometimes multiple) in every level, try to think of more creative ways to have the player progress, or at the very least use items other than keys (i.e. crowbar, needle, etc). The level design in some areas felt a bit overwhelming, it felt like some of the hubs had hubs inside of them; I'm all for giving the player choices and the freedom to explore in their own desired order, but there has to be some limitation. Perhaps you could combine some of the very small levels together and decrease the total number of levels? Finally, one of the things that bothered me the most was that at the start of every level, the player would fall 2-3 meters. Please for the love of all that is good, make sure the PlayerStartArea and the floor the player is spawning on have the same vertical (y-axis) height. If the floor's y height is at 2.5, the PlayerStartArea should be as well.

Overall, I'd rate this 2.5/5. An average mod with a few unique events, and a cool story (bro).
Thank you for your post, I don't have much experience (especially in creating levels, writing notes, etc) and with your post you said what can i do to improve a little bit my Custom Story, thanks for that.
Now I'll try to do what you suggested to me Shy. (And before your post i didn't even know the billboards)
(This post was last modified: 08-09-2012, 01:22 AM by Techeable.)
08-08-2012, 03:42 PM
Find
HumiliatioN Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 64

It was some sort of interesting story and mod to play.

Spoiler below!
But now what's the point after going back to cellar from Principal's prison?

Where I go now, huh?

It's pretty good so far, expect couple jumpscares ruins the atmosphere.

“Life is a game, play it”
08-08-2012, 04:17 PM
Find
Techeable Offline

(08-08-2012, 04:17 PM)HumiliatioN Wrote: It was some sort of interesting story and mod to play.

Spoiler below!
But now what's the point after going back to cellar from Principal's prison?

Where I go now, huh?

It's pretty good so far, expect couple jumpscares ruins the atmosphere.
You need to go back in the Living Quarters, the door to the principal saloon is opened... i'll add a memento in that scene.
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2012, 04:25 PM by Techeable.)
08-08-2012, 04:22 PM
Find
HumiliatioN Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 64

Okay I finished it. It was good. Interesting and nice little mystery ending.

My review:

Spoiler below!

Story: Make's sense and it's some point of understable, not unique, but really basic one and okay.
6/10

Scares: Few really unique, but too much unpredictale scares what ruins instantly atmosphere in my opinion. 5/10

Environment: This was something really good what I enjoyed. Lots of rooms to explore, but sadly way many empty ones and I see you just copied other rooms and only changes places between them. Mansionbase textures are so overdone and you must use other wallsets too and create something different too. 7/10

Particles / Billboards: Nope. This was really foggy gameplay I see almost everywhere that fog and it creates creepy atmosphere, but you little ruined to use it too much. There was no billboards sad, maybe when you create sequel add those and don't use fog too much. 4/10

Mapping: Really well maded. Few overlapping textures, but whole manor or mansion was nicely created and I enjoyed it a lot this time there are couple flaws too and pretty bored searching too much empty rooms. 8/10

Puzzles: Not cool key hunting over again you are not using creativity to make something different only too much keys to collect and opening doors and one secret book puzzle and you failed making that "secret wall thing" you can smash it just throwing chair at it, no need to collect hammer or chipper. 4/10

Overall: Nothing fancy to experience here, but it's basic story when you are bored or you wanna waste too much time to play this, i'm not judging or hating it just helping and giving tips when you make the sequel. Couple jumpscares what things many players to hate it right away.

I give you 6 out of 10. Mediocre, nicely done.

“Life is a game, play it”
08-08-2012, 05:06 PM
Find
CorinthianMerchant Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 84

Andyrockin and HumiliatioN, the reviewers Gotham deserves...

Still hasn't gotten over the loss of wubwub...
08-08-2012, 05:17 PM
Find