Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

GameFront is down... uploaders beware
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 87
GameFront is down... uploaders beware

GameFront is down...

I've tried downloading two custom stories... Darkroom and Tenebris Lake but I get this error message...

[Image: coGzo.png]

This is clearly not the creators fault however since both projects are hosted on that site (that is now malfunctioning) I think it would be a good idea for them to re-ulpoad the projects somewhere else (it should be mandatory for creators to create at least one mirror link in case one goes down) I think other users should do this too. I've notified both creators lets hope we can get this fixed...

**List of good upload sites (I have used them all at one point or another and they work well)**

Mediafire
Fileden
Dropbox
Google Drive
Sky Drive
Filesmelt
Filedropper (warning: semi-unstable site)
Filebox (100GB upload limit)
Filesave

**Additional Notes**

-GameFront (as said before) will store your file forever (as long as people download it)
-Don't trust just one site - look what happened to Megaupload!!!
-BACKUP YOUR STUFF!!! and save yourself time

(This post was last modified: 08-25-2012, 07:02 PM by darkely.)
08-25-2012, 06:50 PM
Find
johnbox Offline

Threads: 5
RE: GameFront is down... uploaders beware

Quote:File Hosting Rules Changelog – 07-05-2012 On July 19, 2012, several new rules regarding Game Front’s file hosting serviceare going into effect.

1. New deletion rules for registered user files. These rules will go into effect on July 19, 2012. After that date, files uploaded to a registered user account will need 1 download every 60 days to avoid deletion.

If a “user file” is not downloaded at least once in a sixty day period, it will be automatically deleted due to inactivity.

If a user file receives at least 1 download every sixty days, it will stay on Game Front indefinitely.

This rule will affect new files you upload, as well as files you already store on the site. After July 19, 2012, if files uploaded to your user account have not been downloaded at least 1 time in a 60 day period, they will be deleted.

that's the problem with gamefront. your files will never be down, as long as there's a download every 60 days. but i would also suggest to upload it somewhere else, so it stays for "future generation". but also i'm not sure, if mediafire hasn't the same rule...

Working on a full conv.-mod, first pictures coming soon...

Working with Blender and other Stuff since 2009.
Using HPL-Engine since 2012 (learning..)
08-25-2012, 06:58 PM
Find
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

@John Box yep like I said my first post. The creators should keep a copy just in case.

08-25-2012, 06:59 PM
Find
Robby Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 38

That's basically how my very first custom story disappeared from the face of the Earth.

Infrequently active. Don't expect an immediate response. Best to contact me at a different locale. If I create a thread, expect me to be quite active.
08-25-2012, 08:17 PM
Website Find
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

(08-25-2012, 08:17 PM)Nemet Robert Wrote: That's basically how my very first custom story disappeared from the face of the Earth.
That's unfortunate however it is not that hard to backup seeing as most of them are under 50MB.

08-25-2012, 08:20 PM
Find
Robby Offline
Posting Freak

I know. I was basically wondering what happened to it. I thought that I accidentally removed it.

Infrequently active. Don't expect an immediate response. Best to contact me at a different locale. If I create a thread, expect me to be quite active.
08-25-2012, 08:25 PM
Website Find
JMFStorm Offline

Threads: 8

I don't get it. Mine's working perfectly :S

08-25-2012, 08:31 PM
Find
johnbox Offline

Threads: 5

(08-25-2012, 08:31 PM)JMFStorm Wrote: I don't get it. Mine's working perfectly :S
because people downloaded your CS at least one time every 60 days.

Working on a full conv.-mod, first pictures coming soon...

Working with Blender and other Stuff since 2009.
Using HPL-Engine since 2012 (learning..)
08-25-2012, 08:34 PM
Find
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

I'm not telling CS makers how to go about making/sharing things but I strongly advise you to upload to MODDB and also upload to other sites (and always keep at least one copy locally (with you)).

08-25-2012, 08:42 PM
Find
Robby Offline
Posting Freak

(08-25-2012, 08:42 PM)darkely Wrote: I'm not telling CS makers how to go about making/sharing things but I strongly advise you to upload to MODDB and also upload to other sites (and always keep at least one copy locally (with you)).
^ This.

08-25-2012, 08:43 PM
Website Find