Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: do you believe that the taking down of parts 2 and 3 of the castle horror series, and both parts of a laugh in the darkness were just? why?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
yes
80.00%
4 80.00%
no
20.00%
1 20.00%
Total 5 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
a few questions regarding the castle horror series
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70
RE: a few questions regarding the castle horror series

(09-01-2012, 03:00 PM)Obliviator27 Wrote: I think that the move to remove download links was agreed upon by Frictional themselves, as they don't want their game to have pirated content in it. Don't quote me on that one.
Yeah, it was. I'm not sure Frictional themselves was involved, but I know for sure that the mods had reached an unanimous decision to remove pirated content.

Quote:As far as people flaming the content goes, there's a bit of an elitist
mindset around these forums. Quality is expected and, well....(Note,
this is my opinion) the stories aren't very good. They seem slapped
together and hastily made, with little actual storyline. When creating a
custom story, it's expected that you'll have a story attached to it,
with some actual thought put in. Having random things fly at your face
is a cheap tactic and not scary, really. It's startling. which is a
human reaction to something approaching you at a high speed.
Actually, I'm thinking the main reason people give them shit is because of the main focus on jumpscares. Their mapping is actually pretty decent in my opinion, at the very least it's definitely not horrible.

As for the Castle Horror series, while I don't like jumpscares either, what I respect the series for is its absolute devotion to silliness. Just like with the Small Horse series, the mod knows what it's set out to be, and does not try to half-bakingly stuff some high-tier disturbing storyline, or horror elements into it. It is made out exactly for the people who like jumpscares/silliness, and doesn't try to be anything else it's not. For that, I have to give them credit.
09-01-2012, 03:11 PM
Find
Obliviator27 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 10

See, the issue is that a lot of people will mistake jumpscares as bad, while they're not. They're effective if used sparingly and they actually make sense. Not having a random box or something fly at you for no good reason.

09-01-2012, 03:14 PM
Find
kira1000 Offline

Threads: 1

then perhaps it should be mentioned in a sticky or important post, recently gave some advice to an individual working on a diablo custom story. I agree that some of the jump scares can get repetitive, however when you get posts like 'shitty maps are cancer, and those who like them are as well' that is taking things a bit too far.
09-01-2012, 03:14 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

The decision to remove custom stories from these forums that had copyrighted material where the copyright does not allow redistribution of said materials, was made early July 2012.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
09-01-2012, 03:15 PM
Website Find
kira1000 Offline

thanks for that, only happened two months ago.
09-01-2012, 03:16 PM
Find
Obliviator27 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 10

(09-01-2012, 03:14 PM)kira1000 Wrote: then perhaps it should be mentioned in a sticky or important post, recently gave some advice to an individual working on a diablo custom story. I agree that some of the jump scares can get repetitive, however when you get posts like 'shitty maps are cancer, and those who like them are as well' that is taking things a bit too far.
I believe that Streetboat is working with Vyzor on that one, and Vyzor is modelling for it. As it's a tribute to Diablo in general, the only assets he could possibly rip are the ones from Diablo 3, and those wouldn't fit in the setting. I'm pretty sure making a tribute story is quite alright.

09-01-2012, 03:19 PM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(09-01-2012, 03:11 PM)Kreekakon Wrote: Actually, I'm thinking the main reason people give them shit is because of the main focus on jumpscares. Their mapping is actually pretty decent in my opinion, at the very least it's definitely not horrible.
I would care to disagree, sure the jumpscares are one of the more annoying aspects of them, but I definitely think the mapping is indeed very, very shitty. That's one of the main reasons I can't really enjoy them, it feels like they just threw the maps together in a few minutes.

Posting Freak
09-01-2012, 08:49 PM
Website Find
kira1000 Offline

I understand. Just thought it would be better to be safe rather then have it locked after release. I would like to request that this thread be locked, if anyone disagrees then ok. Just want to prevent a flame arguement since I have learnt why the akedowns happened and I see that I am in the minority.
09-01-2012, 10:17 PM
Find
Streetboat Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

(09-01-2012, 03:19 PM)Obliviator27 Wrote:
(09-01-2012, 03:14 PM)kira1000 Wrote: then perhaps it should be mentioned in a sticky or important post, recently gave some advice to an individual working on a diablo custom story. I agree that some of the jump scares can get repetitive, however when you get posts like 'shitty maps are cancer, and those who like them are as well' that is taking things a bit too far.
I believe that Streetboat is working with Vyzor on that one, and Vyzor is modelling for it. As it's a tribute to Diablo in general, the only assets he could possibly rip are the ones from Diablo 3, and those wouldn't fit in the setting. I'm pretty sure making a tribute story is quite alright.
Yeah, that's me. We aren't ripping anything from Diablo 3, because quite frankly, Diablo 3 is a big pile of dookie. It's a tribute to Diablo 1 only, and Vyzor is doing all the models for me. The issue was, I believe, that I'm using music from the game that was released in 1996, from a company that no longer exists. Confused

[Image: signature-2.png]
09-02-2012, 12:44 AM
Find