Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Discussion about religion
Danny Boy Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 85
Discussion about religion

Before you start reading, this is mearly a discussion thread where all I am trying ti archive is to both share my thoughs about religion (primerly Christianity) and see what do you guys think about my statements. Some things that your about to read might have abominable mistakes for I am not very familiar whit Biblical events or ideas and I apologice any misunderstandings.

1.Christianity the Enemy of imagination?

Ok so. For all the years I have in living on a country where most of the population is catholic, and for all the years that i spent watching American movies, art, stories and so on. I think I cam to a conclusion. Religions, or anything that consists in having dogmas (for those who don't know. Dogmas are unquestionable "truths" for example: the concept of "God" is a dogma in Christianity) are a mind imitator. They are the short cuts for those who want to know the answerers for questions yet unsolved, but are incapacitated to look for them on their own so they believe in what someone else as told them.

These limitations have locked the human mind from developing from almost over 2000 years. and still imitate us to this very day at economic, political, social and artistical levels. For example: on my country (Portugal) There as been a fight for power between two major political parties that although all they have done was to bring my country to complete economic chaos due to both their corrupcy and Incompetence. The current party in control is the PSD (Social Democratic party) thats as the fame to constantly mention religion, for better manipulation of the people, because although the government is stealing from all of us, they all ways remember us that the crisis is our fault and that we should make sacrifices! Religions as always been used to manipulate people, to make them more docile for them not to revolt to complete government exploitation just like how it was in the medieval ages!

Religion as the tendency to make people not to think outside the box, why? because by their logic, religion already gave them an answer to... well... "everything", so why should they give a damn about everything else that isn't written on the holy book?

In art (Specifically on now days Cinema),Christianity as been used on a Lazy and Insulting level, to both everyone that haves another faith or the lack of it! Look at "Starship troopers 3"! Look at the movie "Signs"! Look at "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" (which the fact that its "based on a true story" even makes it worse!)! Religions influences on movies tend to make their messages, morals and stories completely out of originality and thought, Deus ex Machinas are greatly used in this movies, contradictory morals even more! In cinema, Many movie just seem to have been made for Religious propaganda. and nothing else!

counter argument:

"Every one can use religion for bad motives, The have manipulated it! therefore its not the religion's fault but yes the people!" Yes that is correct, Religion can be very much like a gun, It can save someone in a hostage situation, as well kill a innocent. But this begs the question: So what do you really see as your religion? you believe profoundly on something, that has been edited, cut, added to it. ergo how can you claim that somethings is real, when its was altered since the original writer(s)?

2. The Logic makes no sense

I have following the logic of Christianity for quite some time now. And I most say, I have never seen anything as contradictting and nonsensical in my Entire life.

I am now going to state two Unquestionable "truths" In Christianity and then I am going to compare them and see how they should interact.

well first, as it is normally said. Life is a test, you either have a life off good actions and you go to heaven, or you a sin life and you go to hell. follow? good!

Second: God is everything, is everywhere, knows everything, controls everything. Correct? but wait. there something not right here: How can there be a test, if God knows everything?

Following this logic there only a couple of reasonable conclusions: The "Omni God Argument" concludes that God knows everything, is everything and is everywhere, therefore he is you, he is me and he is all of us! he is the Devil, he is the one who makes us sin, he the one who makes us do things that he does not approve, he was the one who killed thousands of children that died on car accidents, he is the one who brings death to us all, he is the one who has done all the serial killer's deaths, he is the one who makes Atheist say things against religions and then punishes them for it! It makes no sense! God is awful! he is not the loving being that loves you even though he sent you to hell to burn for all eternity! he is the one who makes you to do stuff so that he can punish you for it! It makes no damn sense! its ridiculous!

and by following the "Test" argument: the only logical conclusion is that he does not know everything! therefore he just watches us do the things we do and lets us do either good actions or bad ones just to enjoy himself watching our misery!

I have the tendency to compare religions whit Santa Claus. Every child believes in him whit all their might. but thats because they are 3 to 5 years olds! precisely the age when you are more gullible about everything, therefore more easily manipulated by people who just want your money in their pockets.

Well.... Help me out here people because I do not understand why on earth do you believe so deeply this bipolarity of a religion.
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2012, 05:30 AM by Danny Boy.)
09-14-2012, 05:29 AM
Website Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25
RE: Discussion about religion

Sexuality thread 2.0

Posting Freak
09-14-2012, 05:37 AM
Website Find
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 16

NOOOOOOOOO! Mother-fucker, you had to do it! You had to tempt this out of everyone! Fuck.
09-14-2012, 05:53 AM
Find
Obliviator27 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 10

This thread could be okay as long as people keep their cool. But on the internet? Probably not. Anyways.

I was baptised Anglican, but never raised in a religious home. It was "Believe whatever you wish to believe"

I feel this is the way parents should teach religion to their children. Due to being raised this way, I saw no reason to believe in a god of any kind. Thus, athiest. I find religion to be silly, but who am I to judge someone for what they think is true?

09-14-2012, 06:07 AM
Find
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

(09-14-2012, 06:07 AM)Obliviator27 Wrote: This thread could be okay as long as people keep their cool. But on the internet? Probably not. Anyways.

I was baptised Anglican, but never raised in a religious home. It was "Believe whatever you wish to believe"

I feel this is the way parents should teach religion to their children. Due to being raised this way, I saw no reason to believe in a god of any kind. Thus, athiest. I find religion to be silly, but who am I to judge someone for what they think is true?
Sorry but I kinda felt smothered.
[Image: Geekation_OkGod.gif]
09-14-2012, 06:14 AM
Find
Adny Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

(09-14-2012, 05:37 AM)Kman Wrote: Sexuality thread 2.0
Now with 20% more flame, guaranteed!

My 2 cents on religionz:

First off, I'm an Atheist. Here are my problems with Christianity in specific:
-Very "pick and choose"-y about what to follow in the Bible, some rules are followed, others completely disregarded (regardless of which testament it's from).
-Openly promotes violence, killing, slavery & bigotry.
-Some say that Bible shouldn't be taken literally, yet contradict themselves by taking parts literally/quoting verses (usually for the sake of argument, which I'm sure there will be later in this thread).
-Many claim it is simply moral guide, but I 100% disagree. To me there is no morality, but simply a punishment/reward system; do good, go to Heaven, do wrong, go to Hell. Having good morals has nothing to do with Religion.

Some Random Quotes:
(The quotes are off the top of my head, they might be a bit off)

-"Bad people will do bad things, and good people will do good things. But, with the help of religion, good people can do bad things as well."

-"If God told you to kill your family and you didn't, I think (to some degree) you are an Atheist."

I rate it 3 memes.
09-14-2012, 06:14 AM
Find
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

I'm an atheist, and my reason is because I never really believed in the first place. When I was 3 and 1/2 years old, a man dressed as Santa came to the school, and so, naturally, all the other kids ate it up. When I was sitting on his lap no thoughts of sugar-plumbs, or toys went fluttering through my mind - rather, I thought "I wonder how much he's being payed to do this." Other magical, bearded men were no exception, no matter how sparkly.
09-14-2012, 06:25 AM
Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40
Heart  RE: Discussion about religion

Heart THERE IS NO GOD Heart

this is the consensus of the teenage mutant ninja turtle clan. there was another one of these threads a while back, by the way. i haven't read any of the posts in here. just weighing in on the vote.

[Image: jao3z.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2012, 06:50 AM by Sexbad.)
09-14-2012, 06:48 AM
Website Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

I was never one to pay too much attention to religion. Most of my family can be considered what I call "dormant Christians". In our everyday life, we do absolutely nothing that has to do with religion , but when an event pops up like the death of the friend, or something else, we usually will do it the christian way. We are still not superly devout in any way though, and mostly just do the things out of family tradition.

On another note, my dad's sister is a very devout christian, and is the leader of a small church organization last time I checked. My dad, although not openly stating it, has expressed distaste at her level of devotion to the religious world.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2012, 06:56 AM by Kreekakon.)
09-14-2012, 06:56 AM
Find
Adny Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

C'mon guys, there can't be a good flame war if everyone's on the same side!

I rate it 3 memes.
09-14-2012, 07:01 AM
Find