Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

The Most Underrated or Overrated Games/Movies Thread
the dark side Offline

Threads: 9
RE: The Most Underrated or Overrated Games/Movies Thread

im dissing games that are easy! so yes, modern day "lead you by the hand" casual games, basically, to me, any game that allows you to play it when you don't even have the manual because it has no challenge from the Scripting, constantly shows you the controlls, and loads you onto a one way conveyer belt, is a "casual game". i don't enjoy them. they patronise me to the point of offense, and they bore me to tears, i want a challenge, no challenge, no fun!, if there isnt a challenge, there is No point in playing the game, i might as well go an watch a movie, because, basically,All i'm doing is watching a movie while just slamming in "U-S-A" on my keyboard every now and again to not die. how exiting.

many of todays mainstream games are meant to do nothing but be watched for the pretty graphics and mega setpeices, hence the lack of any challenging gameplay, because the publishers want to show off the mega setpeices to everyone, including, if how easy the games are now is anything to judge on, the family dog, sorry, if i want to watch games, ill watch "the wizard", sure, it may be an over-extended nintendo NES commercial, but its also one of the first live action movies to have an Autistic child for the main charachter, and deserves serious kudos for that. when i play a game, i want to play a game, wich means i want to be challenged. (something the Best NES games have in spades by the way).

sorry, a game with no challenge, Bores me, and if im bored, im not enjoying myself,

now, are we gonna get this back on topic? or do we rename this "the, "hey, lets roast the dark side for agreeing with googleplex" thread" ? Tongue

that reminds me. "The Wizard" can Definatly go on my "underated films" list, as a kid i loved it, as it had a main charachter i could relate with, and was about videogames, something i was, and still am, obsessed with, its got some serious nostalgia for me, and i still enjoy watching it even today. it's an innovator too, sure, there were films with autistic charachters before, such as rain man, that were aimed at adults, but i think "the wizard" is the first film, maybe even the only one, aimed at kids that has an autistic main charachter. it deserves some praise for that, doesn;'t it? i feel it is seriously underated, yes, i Know it is an over extended commercial for the NES.. but. still a fun movie and a much loved part of my childhood, and one that showed me i wasnt the "only child like me" in the world.
(This post was last modified: 10-11-2012, 09:20 PM by the dark side.)
10-11-2012, 08:46 PM
Find
Adny Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

@ the dark side

games have evolved so much since they've been made; they're now filled with wonderful game play, unique environments and tear-jerking stories. If you let something as insignificant as the type of cross-hair used completely ruin it for you, that's your loss. Just because you have nonsensical elitist opinions about things that really don't matter doesn't mean everyone is "roasting you" just because they don't agree. If you don't like certain mechanics, you don't have to remind us in every post you make.

Back on Topic:

(inb4 biased opinions/fan boys -- I've watched the first few episodes)

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
is extremely overrated. It has an obsessive cult-like following even though it isn't really that special. The characters -- as zany and cute as they may be -- are pretty cliche. It's everything you'd expect in a show with a target demographic of little girls: characters like the tom boy, cute/innocent, outgoing, brave, girly-girl, etc. Although there are more characters implemented as the series goes on, it's pretty much focused around the one's I listed.

Again, the show isn't bad, it's fine; it's just all-around overrated - especially when compared to other kid's shows that get less than a fraction of the love.

I rate it 3 memes.
10-11-2012, 09:24 PM
Find
CorinthianMerchant Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 84

#Ponyswag yolo*.

In this case, yolo means you obviously love Octavia.

Real talk: It's a 100% fine if you don't like it.

Still hasn't gotten over the loss of wubwub...
10-11-2012, 09:29 PM
Find
Zaffre Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 50

(10-11-2012, 09:24 PM)andyrockin123 Wrote: @ the dark side

games have evolved so much since they've been made; they're now filled with wonderful game play, unique environments and tear-jerking stories. If you let something as insignificant as the type of cross-hair used completely ruin it for you, that's your loss. Just because you have nonsensical elitist opinions about things that really don't matter doesn't mean everyone is "roasting you" just because they don't agree. If you don't like certain mechanics, you don't have to remind us in every post you make.

Back on Topic:
(inb4 biased opinions/fan boys -- I've watched the first few episodes)

is extremely overrated. It has an obsessive cult-like following even though it isn't really that special. The characters -- as zany and cute as they may be -- are pretty cliche. It's everything you'd expect in a show with a target demographic of little girls: characters like the tom boy, cute/innocent, outgoing, brave, girly-girl, etc. Although there are more characters implemented as the series goes on, it's pretty much focused around the one's I listed.

Again, the show isn't bad, it's fine; it's just all-around overrated - especially when compared to other kid's shows that get less than a fraction of the love.
I agree with you. I can't go... well, anywhere without seeing a pony. In fact, there's already a Dwarf Fortress mod based off of the show. Anyway, before I get attacked, I'll put this on. You should too.
[Image: cObjb.jpg]

As of September 2nd, 2014, I've left the Frictional forums. Check my profile for more details.
10-11-2012, 10:10 PM
Find
CorinthianMerchant Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 84

I really don't want to shove anything down your throat, but a majority of the bronies aren't obsessive, annoying fanboys. Many of us are quiet, civil, kind and often very talented artists, musicians and animators, wich is one of the main reasons that I love the show with all my heart.

ON-TOPIC:

It felt like almost no one took their time to explore the posibilities wirh the creators in Spore, and only judged because of the removed content. The endless possibilities and that you can make up lore about your creations are the main reasons why I love Spore.

Also, "Somebody that I used to know" is so overrated it's scary.

Still hasn't gotten over the loss of wubwub...
(This post was last modified: 10-11-2012, 10:24 PM by CorinthianMerchant.)
10-11-2012, 10:17 PM
Find
Adny Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

(10-11-2012, 10:17 PM)CorinthianMerchant Wrote: a majority of the bronies aren't obsessive, annoying fanboys. Many of us are quiet, civil, kind and often very talented artists, musicians and animators
I honestly don't consider the types of fans you described as bronies, only the crazies earn that name in my book. I'm well aware that there are varying types of fans for everything, MLP is no exception. My main point is that I don't see why it gets so much attention to begin with - it just feels like an internet fad.

Quote:wich is one of the main reasons that I love the show with all my heart.
I don't think your love of the fan base is a valid reason to love the show; that seems like an "apples to oranges" concept. You should love the show because it's a good show, not because someone else likes it.

Quote:Also, "Somebody that I used to know" is so overrated it's scary.
Spoiler below!

[Image: but-you-didnt-have-to-cut-me-off-gotye-in-a-car.jpg]

I rate it 3 memes.
(This post was last modified: 10-11-2012, 10:40 PM by Adny.)
10-11-2012, 10:39 PM
Find
Obliviator27 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 10

(10-11-2012, 09:24 PM)andyrockin123 Wrote: (inb4 biased opinions/fan boys -- I've watched the first few episodes)

Honestly, I agree with this.
Fanbase, you so cray cray.

I just get a kick out of the people who invert their colon whenever the topic shows up. On either side. Good fun.

10-11-2012, 10:56 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

(10-11-2012, 09:24 PM)andyrockin123 Wrote: Again, the show isn't bad, it's fine; it's just all-around overrated - especially when compared to other kid's shows that get less than a fraction of the love.
I pretty much agree with you. For instance, I like shows like Jimmy Two-Shoes just as much as I like MLP, but you don't see any of this extreme love for that show.

I can probably shed some light on why I think it's so popular though. I get the feeling it has such a large following because of some combination of lowered expectations of craft for children cartoons, and ESPECIALLY a "My Little Pony" cartoon. I feel that the main reason so much people praised it in the first place is due to the biased view that it's a My Little Pony cartoon that's not complete shit, in turn giving it way more credit than equally deserving shows (Like Teen Titans IMO).

After it had stabilized a standard beginning fanbase due to reasons I said above which periodically produces awesome fan content, it attracts more fans mostly due to the growing fanbase until it snowballs into what it is today.

EDIT: The fanbase is also likely the reason MLP remains popular. For example, I watched all the episodes of Jimmy Two-shoes just as crazily I did MLP. But Jimmy Two-Shoes had no fanbase to fall back to after finishing all the episodes while MLP did, so it's easy to see which show was able to stand the test of time in my brain.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2012, 05:36 AM by Kreekakon.)
10-12-2012, 05:32 AM
Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8

Excessive language:

Spoiler below!

Also overrated: Modern kids shows. I swear, my children will never be allowed near broadcasted TV. Comparing back then to now: Modern kids shows are insultingly patronizing. You never hear "hell", you never hear "die","death", or "dying". It's all about "Destroy" as if that is somehow better. I remember shows like DBZ that didn't beat around the bush. When someone died, they fucking died. They didn't "disappear" or "implode" or "be destroyed" they fucking died. Then they went to hell, not the "Underworld", and not "off camera". If they came back, then they were sent back down there again. Because fuck them.

Then there's the dumbed down acting. Power Rangers Samurai, for instance. You can tell that none of the "actors" actually want to be there. They practically read their lines off of a teleprompter.

Similar to AAA gaming, they chose nice and shiny over quality. There simply is no money in art.

It's going to be either video games or dvd cuts of older shows. Screw them all!

/90'skidrant

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
10-12-2012, 08:00 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

Overated: Any of the top 20 or so people with the highest subscriber count on YouTube.

Also, HOW DOES THIS THREAD HAVE 9 PAGES AND NO ONE'S MENTIONED MINECRAFT BEING OVERATED YET. I am disapoint in you people.

Posting Freak
10-12-2012, 08:44 AM
Website Find