Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

How do I add an Image to my signature?
4WalledKid Offline

Threads: 23
Question  How do I add an Image to my signature?

I want to add an image to my signature but it ask for a Remote URL! What is this and where do I find it?

[Image: 4walledkidbanner_zps1514b7f6.png]
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2012, 09:41 PM by 4WalledKid.)
10-12-2012, 05:57 PM
Website Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25
RE: How do I add an Image to my signature?

Upload the image to an image hosting site like tinypic.com and paste the URL. Alternatively, copy the image's location and place [IMG][/IMG] tags around it in your signature.
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2012, 06:34 PM by Bridge.)
10-12-2012, 06:34 PM
Find
4WalledKid Offline

(10-12-2012, 06:34 PM)Bridge Wrote: Upload the image to an image hosting site like tinypic.com and paste the URL. Alternatively, copy the image's location and place [IMG][/IMG] tags around it in your signature.
What do I have to include in the location? C:, Folders?

10-12-2012, 08:49 PM
Website Find
Adny Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

Images can only be taken from internet sources; no folders! Upload whatever you'd like to an image-sharing website then copy the image's URL and paste it into the image box. Easy-peasy.

I rate it 3 memes.
10-12-2012, 08:50 PM
Find
4WalledKid Offline

(10-12-2012, 08:50 PM)andyrockin123 Wrote: Images can only be taken from internet sources; no folders! Upload whatever you'd like to an image-sharing website then copy the image's URL and paste it into the image box. Easy-peasy.
Ok, thanks for your replies guys!

10-12-2012, 08:53 PM
Website Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(10-12-2012, 08:53 PM)4WalledKid Wrote:
(10-12-2012, 08:50 PM)andyrockin123 Wrote: Images can only be taken from internet sources; no folders! Upload whatever you'd like to an image-sharing website then copy the image's URL and paste it into the image box. Easy-peasy.
If you want a little more detailed explanation of why you can't upload from your computer:

All images are made from a collection (called an array) of dots (pixels - short for picture elements) that have a value from 0 to 16.7 million with 24bit color depth and different colors have different values assigned to them. Whenever you open a website or open up an image in an image viewer, the program goes through all of the pixels and checks their value. It draws a color on the screen depending on the value it found. Whenever you press refresh, the browser needs to go through the source code again and draw all of the pixels all over again. Since there is no such thing as permanent data, the website's source code needs to have a place to store the image. You can store it in a subdomain on the website but most of the time it is stored in memory on your computer.

All of the images (that are uploaded along with the website) you see on the internet must be placed into a temporary folder in order for the website to work properly. Because you cannot place images in other people's temporary folders, in order to share an image from your hard drive with other people image hosting sites were invented. They set aside memory on their servers to store your image. Then, whenever the website needs to get the image data, it goes to the website where you hosted the image instead of your hard drive, which means everybody can see it. They will no longer get a copy of it on their hard drive because it already exists in another place. The reason people cannot see images from your hard drive is because your hard drive is not connected directly to the internet and to the browser there is no such thing as "C:\".

Not sure if you were really interested in that but if you were curious well, now you know.
10-12-2012, 11:03 PM
Find
4WalledKid Offline

(10-12-2012, 11:03 PM)Bridge Wrote:
(10-12-2012, 08:53 PM)4WalledKid Wrote:
If you want a little more detailed explanation of why you can't upload from your computer:

All images are made from a collection (called an array) of dots (pixels - short for picture elements) that have a value from 0 to 16.7 million with 24bit color depth and different colors have different values assigned to them. Whenever you open a website or open up an image in an image viewer, the program goes through all of the pixels and checks their value. It draws a color on the screen depending on the value it found. Whenever you press refresh, the browser needs to go through the source code again and draw all of the pixels all over again. Since there is no such thing as permanent data, the website's source code needs to have a place to store the image. You can store it in a subdomain on the website but most of the time it is stored in memory on your computer.

All of the images (that are uploaded along with the website) you see on the internet must be placed into a temporary folder in order for the website to work properly. Because you cannot place images in other people's temporary folders, in order to share an image from your hard drive with other people image hosting sites were invented. They set aside memory on their servers to store your image. Then, whenever the website needs to get the image data, it goes to the website where you hosted the image instead of your hard drive, which means everybody can see it. They will no longer get a copy of it on their hard drive because it already exists in another place. The reason people cannot see images from your hard drive is because your hard drive is not connected directly to the internet and to the browser there is no such thing as "C:\".

Not sure if you were really interested in that but if you were curious well, now you know.
Actually, I was trying to figure out that same question. You just clarified it right now. Thank you very MUCH! Smile

10-12-2012, 11:08 PM
Website Find
destroier234 Offline

Threads: 2

how do I add GIF ?

04-21-2013, 09:05 PM
Find
Tiger Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 16

(04-21-2013, 09:05 PM)destroier234 Wrote: how do I add GIF ?

same process.

Source: Look at my signature.
04-21-2013, 09:15 PM
Find