Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Will Frictional Games make more Sea/Air monsters?
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0
RE: Will Frictional Games make more Sea/Air monsters?

Quote: A thought just occurred to me, what kind of sea monster would they make?Humanoid, gigantic and more horrifying version of known deep sea life, or merfolk?
Tubifex-infested divers? (Tubifex was the inspiration for the Shadow in Amnesia) I think it would be in some way human - like again. They seem to be very fond of the whole "used to be human once" - theme for their monster designs. Big Grin
Quote: I think yes in the future they would. With the Kaernk they took the first step to water monsters. I hope to see more water creatures.
I think the Kaernk was not so much a step in the direction of water monsters, but rather an experiment in terms of game mechanics. It was a play on the ol' "The floor is lava" - game everybody used to play as a kid...
(This post was last modified: 11-02-2012, 11:16 AM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
11-02-2012, 11:15 AM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76

It's an interesting purposal. But, I think the problem doesn't rely on making them. It would rely in the path nodes.

How are you going to make an aerial monster move into the air and such? What if there's an obstacle?
And the water monsters:
It would be almost the same, but the player would need to swim.

Amazing ideas, Rock Worm Wink

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
(This post was last modified: 11-02-2012, 11:46 AM by The chaser.)
11-02-2012, 11:45 AM
Find
maarten12100 Offline

The water lurker was actually a ground monster so we have yet to see any.
11-02-2012, 12:35 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Quote: How are you going to make an aerial monster move into the air and such? What if there's an obstacle?
...well Skyrim did it. Big Grin On a more serious note - so did Drakan: Order of the Flame, in 1999 no less. Now obviously, HPL 2 isn't up to such a task in its current state, but I guess if they wanted to have that feature in HPL 3 they would theoretically be able to implement it.
11-02-2012, 01:09 PM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

Threads: 83

(11-02-2012, 01:09 PM)Hirnwirbel Wrote:
Quote: How are you going to make an aerial monster move into the air and such? What if there's an obstacle?
...well Skyrim did it. Big Grin On a more serious note - so did Drakan: Order of the Flame, in 1999 no less. Now obviously, HPL 2 isn't up to such a task in its current state, but I guess if they wanted to have that feature in HPL 3 they would theoretically be able to implement it.
Didn't remember Skyrim made a flying monster, that's cool. What would be funny (well for the monster, but annoying to us) is if the monster was able to snatch the lantern you use to light your way Tongue

(11-02-2012, 11:15 AM)Hirnwirbel Wrote:
Quote: A thought just occurred to me, what kind of sea monster would they make?Humanoid, gigantic and more horrifying version of known deep sea life, or merfolk?
Tubifex-infested divers? (Tubifex was the inspiration for the Shadow in Amnesia) I think it would be in some way human - like again. They seem to be very fond of the whole "used to be human once" - theme for their monster designs. Big Grin
Quote: I think yes in the future they would. With the Kaernk they took the first step to water monsters. I hope to see more water creatures.
I think the Kaernk was not so much a step in the direction of water monsters, but rather an experiment in terms of game mechanics. It was a play on the ol' "The floor is lava" - game everybody used to play as a kid...

Hadn't heard of Tubiffex, but good to know the Shadow's inspiration. Yes, the 'used to be human once' theme would fit the Frictional Games theme. Good point with the Kaernk, definately don't want to stay in the water long.
11-02-2012, 01:30 PM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76

Skyrim has a very different engine from HPL2. In HPL, the monster are... retarded? They need a lot of resources to work well.
In skyrim, the intelligence of enemies has more work.

Of course, I would love to have an assault rifle in amnesia and kill some grunts, but that would be very hard to implement.

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
11-02-2012, 04:53 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Quote: Didn't remember Skyrim made a flying monster, that's cool.
Yeah, Dragons are kind of like... the central theme of Skyrim Wink But it was more of a joke anyway, since one can't expect a small team like Frictional to achieve the same results as >200 Bethesda employees with a budget in the millions.
Quote: What would be funny (well for the monster, but annoying to us) is if the monster was able to snatch the lantern you use to light your way [img]images/smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Haha yes it would ^^ Well, you could still have a swarm of bats that extinguishes your lantern, or something along those lines, even with the current engine I guess.
(This post was last modified: 11-02-2012, 04:55 PM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
11-02-2012, 04:54 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

(11-02-2012, 04:54 PM)Hirnwirbel Wrote: Haha yes it would ^^ Well, you could still have a swarm of bats that extinguishes your lantern, or something along those lines, even with the current engine I guess.
Going slightly off topic, I just want to say I love how Gary's Dark Secret's executed the part where you lose your flashlight.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
11-02-2012, 04:56 PM
Find
Deep One Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 9

(11-02-2012, 01:46 AM)The Rock Worm Wrote: A thought just occurred to me, what kind of sea monster would they make? Humanoid, gigantic and more horrifying version of known deep sea life, or merfolk?
Imagine worms like this swimming in the dark ocean... that would freak me out
[Image: dhole-by-michael-komarck.jpg]

Btw, I googled "deep sea monster" and got this
Spoiler below!
[Image: deep-sea-penis-monster.jpg]
nature is scary..
11-02-2012, 07:59 PM
Find
The Rock Worm Offline

Threads: 83

(11-02-2012, 07:59 PM)Deep One Wrote:
(11-02-2012, 01:46 AM)The Rock Worm Wrote: A thought just occurred to me, what kind of sea monster would they make? Humanoid, gigantic and more horrifying version of known deep sea life, or merfolk?
Imagine worms like this swimming in the dark ocean... that would freak me out
[Image: dhole-by-michael-komarck.jpg]

nature is scary..
I love that monster worm image. I did find this news article http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/...00x450.jpg that features new deep sea critters, including a Kermadec Ridge Worm with a Xenomorph mouth! Imagine a big one of this in the deep sea... it could get you before you could even sea it!!!
11-02-2012, 10:31 PM
Find