Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Hell Awakening Prologue: The Dorm
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70
RE: Hell Awakening Prologue: The Dorm

(07-09-2012, 10:04 PM)joesaver Wrote: Great story so far but i think i'm having problems with it.

Spoiler below!
I read some of the spoilers that you and someone else was posting, and i think mine messed up. Apparently a Brute was meant to show up in the TV and Study Hall, right? Well after i picked up the crowbar nothing happened, no statue or Brute or anything. Was i supposed to make the statue disappear as i came out the room i got the TV and Study Hall key from? Because i just snuck around it and it didn't disappear. P.S. Can i get some help on finding the basement key? Kinda stumped on finding it.

Thanks for making such a good map so far! Can't wait to finish it and play Chapter 1! (Please make Chapter 1!)
Thanks for the feedback! Now about your problem:

Spoiler below!
Assuming you did everything correct, after you leave the dorm office you should have keys to 322, and 308. 308 has a Student ID which will unlock the basement's keypad lock.

As for the brute, he will only appear if you have triggered the hallucination in the kitchen in the TV room, otherwise nothing ill happen.

Now putting that aside I've updated the game to v1.1, and here are the changes:
-Adjusted lighting for main hall. Lighting will now work as originally
intended for those playing with brightness settings of 1.0

-Player will now start with 3 oil cans

-Changed some on-screen text

Main reason for the lighting is that I found out that as I was adjusting the lighting for release, I accidentally had set the lighting in Amnesia to 0.85, which made it seem darker than the default setting. This resulted in most people playing a very bright version of the mod, so I fumbled around, and changed it to suit 1.0.

As for the oil, I noticed some people were having a bit of trouble with managing oil (Not just you GregsWorth Tongue), so I gave them a bit extra starting oil.
07-10-2012, 10:39 AM
Find
joesaver Offline

Threads: 0

Thanks for the help! I'll just fumble around in there until it happens.
07-10-2012, 10:10 PM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 20

I'm stuck because I cannot find the crowbar in the TV room, so I'm having the same "Can't find crowbar - don't have lamp oil." problem as the previous poster.

So far the environments are very inventive, but the events confuse me, and I suspect that the door-slap event doesn't work as it should. I was part of the very early playtesting for this, and then I left the forums, so I feel responsible saying this, but this could have used some more playtesting.

I've written a play-by-play review for this, but to sum the important things up:
- So far I've evaded two of the three(?) monster encounters by accident, through leaving the map and coming back.
- The desks are all empty. The player will not know that, so I searched all of them, and instead of finding more lamp oil, I ended up without any oil at all.
- I'm not sure which, but if you enter either the cellar or the TV room, you will get another lamp.

This story is cool, but I'm only giving it a strong 3/5 so far.

Noob scripting tutorial: From Noob to Pro

11-04-2012, 05:42 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Thanks for taking the time to write some feedback Cranky Wink
(11-04-2012, 05:42 PM)Cranky Old Man Wrote: So far the environments are very inventive, but the events confuse me, and I suspect that the door-slap event doesn't work as it should.
Could you be more specific as to which one?

Cranky Old Man Wrote:- So far I've evaded two of the three(?) monster encounters by accident, through leaving the map and coming back.
How did this happen exactly? Do you mean you leaving somehow reseted some aspects of the map which affect the script?

Cranky Old Man Wrote:- I'm not sure which, but if you enter either the cellar or the TV room, you will get another lamp.
Oh! Well, I definitely should fix that. Surprised I never noticed it, and no one pointed it out before.

Cranky Old Man Wrote:This story is cool, but I'm only giving it a strong 3/5 so far.
Thanks for the honest score!

Spoiler below!
Seeing as you're stuck, I'm assuming you haven't been able to leave the dorm yet. Outside there's a note which is actually the "first" insight into the actual plot of the series.

The next installment will be much MUCH better than this, and it's really something to look forward to if I do say so myself.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
(This post was last modified: 11-04-2012, 05:52 PM by Kreekakon.)
11-04-2012, 05:50 PM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

(11-04-2012, 05:50 PM)Kreekakon Wrote: Thanks for taking the time to write some feedback Cranky Wink
(11-04-2012, 05:42 PM)Cranky Old Man Wrote: So far the environments are very inventive, but the events confuse me, and I suspect that the door-slap event doesn't work as it should.
Could you be more specific as to which one?

As I tried to leave the room where I got the crowbar in the cellar, I think I was flung across the room, because all of a sudden I was in a corner and the door was closed. When I opened the door again, I was told something like "You feel a burn.", and I thought that maybe those events were supposed to be executed at the same time.

Quote:
Cranky Old Man Wrote:- So far I've evaded two of the three(?) monster encounters by accident, through leaving the map and coming back.
How did this happen exactly? Do you mean you leaving somehow reseted some aspects of the map which affect the script?

First of all, when you're teleported back to your room, and you hear a scraping sound, as if the statue is moving around as a regular grunt, that spooked me so much that I quit the game. When I loaded it up again, the sound wasn't there anymore.

The second encounter is the grunt in the cellar, that you're told that you must sneak past. I tried to get around it by checking other rooms, but having no lamp oil, the door I opened turned out to be the second entry door to the cellar, so I exited the cellar instead. When I reentered the cellar, the monster was gone.

So, where have you hidden the TV room crowbar?

11-04-2012, 06:07 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

(11-04-2012, 06:07 PM)Cranky Old Man Wrote: As I tried to leave the room where I got the crowbar in the cellar, I think I was flung across the room, because all of a sudden I was in a corner and the door was closed. When I opened the door again, I was told something like "You feel a burn.", and I thought that maybe those events were supposed to be executed at the same time.
No, that was intentional as...

Spoiler below!
...you can hear a soft chuckle when it shows "You feel a burn". Originally the chuckle was going to go with the door slam, bu the slam drowned out the laugh, so I changed it.

Cranky Old Man Wrote:First of all, when you're teleported back to your room, and you hear a
scraping sound, as if the statue is moving around as a regular grunt,
that spooked me so much that I quit the game. When I loaded it up again,
the sound wasn't there anymore.

There is ambient noise in the main hall being played at random, so you might've heard that. Although I don't recall you ever being teleported back to your own room. Can you be even more specific under what circumstances this happens?

I'm actually suspecting that this actually might be a bug having to do with the PlayerStartAreas, although no one else I've seen play the mod has run into such an issue before.

Cranky Old Man Wrote:The second encounter is the grunt in the cellar, that you're told that you must sneak past. I tried to get around it by checking other rooms, but having no lamp oil, the door I opened turned out to be the second entry door to the cellar, so I exited the cellar instead. When I reentered the cellar, the monster was gone.
Hmm...I "could" try, and fix that slightly with a bit more scripting, and model editing.

Cranky Old Man Wrote:So, where have you hidden the TV room crowbar?

Spoiler below!
It's on the last TV table at the far end of the TV room.

Image by BandyGrass
(This post was last modified: 11-04-2012, 06:28 PM by Kreekakon.)
11-04-2012, 06:23 PM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

(11-04-2012, 06:23 PM)Kreekakon Wrote: No, that was intentional as...

Spoiler below!
...you can hear a soft chuckle when it shows "You feel a burn". Originally the chuckle was going to go with the door slam, bu the slam drowned out the laugh, so I changed it.
Oh, okay. After I saw a grunt just appear before me, lock my sight into looking at it, and then just vanish, I just can't tell what's supposed to happen and what's not supposed to happen.

Quote:
Cranky Old Man Wrote:First of all, when you're teleported back to your room, and you hear a
scraping sound, as if the statue is moving around as a regular grunt,
that spooked me so much that I quit the game. When I loaded it up again,
the sound wasn't there anymore.
Can you be even more specific under what circumstances this happens?

I'm actually suspecting that this actually might be a bug having to do with the PlayerStartAreas, although no one else I've seen play the mod has run into such an issue before.

Yeah, I suspected that as well. It's when you leave the TV room map (or possibly the cellar map), that you end up at the game start spawn again. The scrapings came and went, as if something made of stone was taking steps, so maybe there was something going on downstairs that I just didn't see.

Quote:
Cranky Old Man Wrote:The second encounter is the
grunt in the cellar, that you're told that you must sneak past. I tried
to get around it by checking other rooms, but having no lamp oil, the
door I opened turned out to be the second entry door to the cellar, so I
exited the cellar instead. When I reentered the cellar, the monster was
gone.
Hmm...I "could" try, and fix that slightly with a bit more scripting, and model editing.

You could just lock the level doors while the grunt is there, blaming some demonic force.

Quote:
Cranky Old Man Wrote:So, where have you hidden the TV room crowbar?

Spoiler below!
It's on the last TV table at the far end of the TV room.

Thank you. I looked there too, but I will look closer now.

Edit:
The crowbar isn't there. I made laps around that table, looking for it, but there's just a TV there.
Is it possible that you remove the TV crowbar when the player picks up the cellar crowbar, and that this will only make the game beatable if the player picks up the TV crowbar first? ...but I went to the TV room first, so if there was a crowbar there, I missed it on my first search.

(This post was last modified: 11-04-2012, 06:40 PM by Cranky Old Man.)
11-04-2012, 06:32 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

(11-04-2012, 06:32 PM)Cranky Old Man Wrote: Edit:
The crowbar isn't there. I made laps around that table, looking for it, but there's just a TV there.
Is it possible that you remove the TV crowbar when the player picks up the cellar crowbar, and that this will only make the game beatable if the player picks up the TV crowbar first? ...but I went to the TV room first, so if there was a crowbar there, I missed it on my first search.
I think I may know what might be a possible issue with all the weird bugs in your game. Do this if you haven't already:

Delete ALL old files from the beta testing maps I gave you. It's likely that these outdated maps may be interfering with the final version.

Image by BandyGrass
11-04-2012, 06:43 PM
Find
Cranky Old Man Offline
Posting Freak

(11-04-2012, 06:43 PM)Kreekakon Wrote:
(11-04-2012, 06:32 PM)Cranky Old Man Wrote: Edit:
I think I may know what might be a possible issue with all the weird bugs in your game. Do this if you haven't already:

Delete ALL old files from the beta testing maps I gave you. It's likely that these outdated maps may be interfering with the final version.
That fixed it! Big Grin The TV map is updated now, and I even hear the correct voice-overs now. (The crowbar is there, and you will not get teleported upon leaving.)
...although you can still leave the cellar to avoid the grunt encounter.

I liked how the part ended.
Spoiler below!
I stood there hesitating for awhile, and decided to head out anyway. I figured something like that would happen, so I made it back inside on my first try. Smile

(This post was last modified: 11-04-2012, 07:23 PM by Cranky Old Man.)
11-04-2012, 07:22 PM
Find
wretic91 Offline

Threads: 11

Gonna try it out, and record it.. and then when i've done that, I will pass my opinion on!
02-10-2014, 03:14 PM
Find