Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 1
MyRedNeptune Offline

Threads: 3
RE: Amnesia:Justine: I want permadeath in the Machine for Pigs.

(11-21-2012, 05:09 PM)Googolplex Wrote: But it is also bad when you save always by pressing F5 or via main menu.

So, I want to say, that Penumbra did it right. You have to find an artifact where you can save. You don't save in the main menu, you save in the game world. Amnesia also have this artifacts, but they're not for saving.

It would be great, if there were 20-30 artifacts in AMFP where you will be able to save. Not restarting the level again or even the complete game! That would be frustrating and people will lose interesting to play again.
I find this opinion interesting because mine is the complete opposite. I very much dislike saves implemented as part of the game environment. When I am immersed in the game, I don't want to think or be reminded of the mechanics. That's why I think Amnesia's autosaves work well for immersion (apart from when all the monsters are removed after death and there are no unique post-death events to spice it up).

The only game in which I like how it was implemented is the Witch's House. Smile

^(;,;)^
(This post was last modified: 11-21-2012, 05:45 PM by MyRedNeptune.)
11-21-2012, 05:45 PM
Find
pinkribbonscars Offline

Threads: 0

The original Resident Evils did save games the best. Limited ink ribbons and those typwriters. I wouldn't mind a save system like that in AMFP.
11-21-2012, 08:06 PM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Quote: But it is also bad when you save always by pressing F5 or via main menu.
I agree, this is the worst, because hitting the save button becomes a reassuring, almost therapeutic action. Everytime the game gets scary, you just hit F5 real quick and say to yourself "Phew - whatever comes, I just saved so nothing bad can happen." In a way, the saving button becomes your anchor to the real world, constantly calming you down and reminding you that you're just playing.

The game that solved the problem best was of course Planescape: Torment. Big Grin Your Character is immortal - Seeing him get back up after a few minutes of lying dead is an integral and often necessary part of the story. (With some surprising plot twists concerning this ability later on!)
But obviously, Planescape is no horror game and not in the slightest comparable to Amnesia...
11-21-2012, 08:36 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(11-21-2012, 08:36 PM)Hirnwirbel Wrote:
Quote: But it is also bad when you save always by pressing F5 or via main menu.
I agree, this is the worst, because hitting the save button becomes a reassuring, almost therapeutic action. Everytime the game gets scary, you just hit F5 real quick and say to yourself "Phew - whatever comes, I just saved so nothing bad can happen." In a way, the saving button becomes your anchor to the real world, constantly calming you down and reminding you that you're just playing.

The game that solved the problem best was of course Planescape: Torment. Big Grin Your Character is immortal - Seeing him get back up after a few minutes of lying dead is an integral and often necessary part of the story. (With some surprising plot twists concerning this ability later on!)
But obviously, Planescape is no horror game and not in the slightest comparable to Amnesia...
I still save scummed the hell out of Planescape, so I don't think it's a real solution at all. Even if you can't die you still have to walk all the way back to where you were.
11-21-2012, 09:50 PM
Find
Damascus Rose Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22
RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion

(11-21-2012, 03:23 PM)Deep One Wrote: It is well-known fact that Oswald's expedition in Mexico ended in horrific tragedy. I think he lost his daughter there, and now, due Oswald's low mental state, he sees her everywhere. Or maybe it really is her ghost, we don't know.
Something like this; maybe his mistake caused his daughter's death and he feels guilt and the memories plague him

[Image: damascusrose2.png]
11-21-2012, 10:33 PM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

FIND OUT, IN THE NEXT EPISODE...

OF AMNESIA: A MACHINE FOR PIGS.

As much as I would like to try and keep all suspicions to 0, until I play, I can't help checking out this thread. I should stop coming here.
11-21-2012, 10:57 PM
Find
Damascus Rose Offline
Posting Freak

(11-21-2012, 10:57 PM)Statyk Wrote: FIND OUT, IN THE NEXT EPISODE...

OF AMNESIA: A MACHINE FOR PIGS.

As much as I would like to try and keep all suspicions to 0, until I play, I can't help checking out this thread. I should stop coming here.
Haha I feel the same :p

[Image: damascusrose2.png]
11-22-2012, 03:20 AM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Quote: I still save scummed the hell out of Planescape, so I don't think it's a real solution at all. Even if you can't die you still have to walk all the way back to where you were.
I meant it more as a solution in terms of making a save system fit logically into the game world and story, not so much in terms of actual gameplay Wink I agree, all that backtracking was just as bad as in other games.

I think when it comes to solutions for the die-and-reload-problem in horror games, we need to try and think outside the box. Which is always easier said than done Big Grin
For example we could think of other things than dieing that could happen to the player. Enemies that don't just hit you in the face until you lose all your hp but do something else. Something that matters to you in the context of the game world and story, but not in terms of mere gameplay mechanics... (like losing hp, having to restart from a checkpoint...)
(This post was last modified: 11-22-2012, 11:48 AM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
11-22-2012, 11:48 AM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

(11-21-2012, 03:23 PM)Deep One Wrote: It is well-known fact that Oswald's expedition in Mexico ended in horrific tragedy. I think he lost his daughter there, and now, due Oswald's low mental state, he sees her everywhere. Or maybe it really is her ghost, we don't know.

Source on his daughter existence please.

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
11-22-2012, 12:13 PM
Find
Deep One Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 9

I assume that the girl in halloween trailer is his daughter, I mean she whispers "daddy" at the end of video and she seems to be quite important character. That wouldn't make much sense if she would be just a random girl, right?
Just speculating Wink
11-22-2012, 12:59 PM
Find