Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Your phobias
MyRedNeptune Offline

Threads: 3
RE: Your phobias

(12-10-2012, 05:15 PM)Bridge Wrote: Evolution doesn't work like that. It is a fact that you cannot inherit anything your ancestors learned while they were alive; you need to be taught about them. I'm not convinced about the "hole phobia" being genetic either. It is possible for a society to be collectively afraid of holes as a result of a smallpox epidemic and it is possible for an individual to become phobic to holes after nearly falling victim to smallpox, but it can never be genetic (all phobias are psychological - e.g. they are developed).
No, I'm sure it's genetic. Animals who were not disgusted by signs of illness in potential mating partners had less healthy children and were at an evolutionary disadvantage.

^(;,;)^
12-10-2012, 11:00 PM
Find
Danny Boy Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 85

(12-10-2012, 11:00 PM)MyRedNeptune Wrote: No, I'm sure it's genetic. Animals who were not disgusted by signs of illness in potential mating partners had less healthy children and were at an evolutionary disadvantage.
Knowledge can't be Inherit trough genes. However. Certain types of behaviors can. Such as disgust to certain odors like the smell of putrefaction.

For example: Lets imagine a group of an unnamed animal, that finds the carcase of a different species. the group split into two. One side there were the ones who were attracted to the smell, and the other side was the ones who were repulsed by the same. Because the group A didn't mind about the smell (that was an indicator that they couldn't digest it) of a dead animal. They ate it. Soon after all of them died from food poisoning. therefore. group B will in the future have more babies that more likely will be repulsed by the smell that dead animals release. and therefore they will more likely survive and have more offspring of their own who are repulsed by the smell as well. and so on and on.

This "evolutionary" behaviors. could in fact explain a lot of things from our times.
For example paranoid people. Nature does in fact reward animals for being paranoid. Imagine two chimps resting near a tree. Suddenly they both notice at the same time some tall grass moving. What could it be they ask them selfs? A lion?! or is it just the wind? One Immediately thinks its a Lion. So it climbs the tree as fast as it could. while the other stays behind thinking it just the wind. when in fact it was a Lion! So that chimp died. therefore the "paranoid" chimps will more likely survive longer and have more offspring than "brave" or chimps.

So its natural to understand why there are still so many nut jobs among us. Because they are still suffering from the "echo" of nature's once favored behavior.
(This post was last modified: 12-10-2012, 11:48 PM by Danny Boy.)
12-10-2012, 11:46 PM
Website Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

(12-10-2012, 11:46 PM)Danny Boy Wrote:
(12-10-2012, 11:00 PM)MyRedNeptune Wrote: No, I'm sure it's genetic. Animals who were not disgusted by signs of illness in potential mating partners had less healthy children and were at an evolutionary disadvantage.
Knowledge can't be Inherit trough genes. However. Certain types of behaviors can. Such as disgust to certain odors like the smell of putrefaction.

For example: Lets imagine a group of an unnamed animal, that finds the carcase of a different species. the group split into two. One side there were the ones who were attracted to the smell, and the other side was the ones who were repulsed by the same. Because the group A didn't mind about the smell (that was an indicator that they couldn't digest it) of a dead animal. They ate it. Soon after all of them died from food poisoning. therefore. group B will in the future have more babies that more likely will be repulsed by the smell that dead animals release. and therefore they will more likely survive and have more offspring of their own who are repulsed by the smell as well. and so on and on.

This "evolutionary" behaviors. could in fact explain a lot of things from our times.
For example paranoid people. Nature does in fact reward animals for being paranoid. Imagine two chimps resting near a tree. Suddenly they both notice at the same time some tall grass moving. What could it be they ask them selfs? A lion?! or is it just the wind? One Immediately thinks its a Lion. So it climbs the tree as fast as it could. while the other stays behind thinking it just the wind. when in fact it was a Lion! So that chimp died. therefore the "paranoid" chimps will more likely survive longer and have more offspring than "brave" or chimps.

So its natural to understand why there are still so many nut jobs among us. Because they are still suffering from the "echo" of nature's once favored behavior.
Continuing on a random rant of thoughts..

The inheritance would be a genetic proneness to an increase in hormones/chemical reactions associated with fear, not any explicit type of fear. A person prone to fears/phobias would have a higher chance or risk to develope phobias.

I do not believe one can inherit any phobias. You can be prone to recieve phobias, but any explicit phobia cannot be linked to you genetically. I've heard or read somewhere that the only fear one is born with is the fear of heights and the fear of high-pitched/loud noises (this might be humbug - but I will go around believing it until proven otherwise).

As for nut-jobs and natural selection; many of today's genetic imperfections are due to the lack of natural selection. I'm not saying we should kill children born with genetical imperfections, but it can sometimes be fun to play with the thought of wheter someone who has trouble seeing past 10 meters would be able to survive on the savanna.

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

(This post was last modified: 12-11-2012, 12:15 AM by Acies.)
12-11-2012, 12:13 AM
Find
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 176

(12-10-2012, 09:59 PM)failedALIAS Wrote:
(12-10-2012, 09:49 PM)Danny Boy Wrote: CATS!!!

Are you serious? Cats are the most awe-. . . Nice music by the way. Cats are the most awesome animal we humans have the honor of walking beside, or wearing them as wittle hats cause they're so cuddly and soft!
I like you a lot.

[Image: p229xcq]
12-11-2012, 01:10 AM
Find
Focalize Offline

Threads: 6

The fear of cats doesn't necessarily offend every cat.

[Image: 31651619.jpg]
And some of you really actually seriously looked it up? Oops should've warned you in bold or red. You learn something new everyday. Smile
12-11-2012, 01:53 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

If you tell people not to look something up because it's sick or disturbing, that's just going to make it more likely that they're going to look it up, because people are stupid and curious as fuck. I mean hell how do you think things like 2 Girls 1 Cup get so famous?

Posting Freak
12-11-2012, 02:00 AM
Website Find
Focalize Offline

Threads: 6

(12-11-2012, 02:00 AM)Kman Wrote: If you tell people not to look something up because it's sick or disturbing, that's just going to make it more likely that they're going to look it up, because people are stupid and curious as fuck. I mean hell how do you think things like 2 Girls 1 Cup get so famous?
Ha ha then I guess it isn't that bad as long as curiosity is satisfied. By the way I never watched that. I spend more time on cat videos and adventure time. It's nice to stay on the happy side of YouTube, the dark side's cookie is a lie.
12-11-2012, 02:24 AM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76

Hey, let's actually put phobias or fears. Mine are (without being Dolan):

-Bees
-Stalkers
-Things that fly (bugs)
-Stupid people
-Stupid TV channels
-Douchebags

I actually love syringes, spiders, heights, and some s**t Nemet dislikes. Pretty much like Obliviator Smile

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
12-11-2012, 10:50 PM
Find
Tiger Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 16

(09-12-2012, 09:14 PM)Obliviator27 Wrote: When I was first shown that video, I was in awe.
Everybody who has seen it goes "nopenopenopenope".
I feel like I may be the only one who wants to go do that.
I thought it was pretty cool too
(12-11-2012, 10:50 PM)The chaser Wrote: actually love syringes
Yeah...Dude, we don't wanna know about your drugproblems________________________________________________________

1. Spiders. I agree to what Robosprog said, they're fascinating but the horror is far more superior.
2. Clowns (yes, clowns)
3. Dolls (they're really scary k?)
4. I'm also quite scared of Scarecrows too
(This post was last modified: 12-11-2012, 11:06 PM by Tiger.)
12-11-2012, 10:54 PM
Find
Zaffre Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 50

(12-11-2012, 10:50 PM)The chaser Wrote: Hey, let's actually put phobias or fears. Mine are (without being Dolan):

-Bees
-Stalkers
-Things that fly (bugs)
-Stupid people
-Stupid TV channels

-Douchebags

I actually love syringes, spiders, heights, and some s**t Nemet dislikes. Pretty much like Obliviator Smile
There's a fair share of all of those in this video. Skip to 5:09.

If you're wondering what they were talking about, a woman's husband asked for a divorce so he cut off his p@#!is.

EDIT: Thinking of something else. Fixed.

As of September 2nd, 2014, I've left the Frictional forums. Check my profile for more details.
(This post was last modified: 12-11-2012, 11:15 PM by Zaffre.)
12-11-2012, 10:56 PM
Find