Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Things that would have made Amnesia scarier
RaisingInsanity Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Things that would have made Amnesia scarier

I'm not sure if this has been said before (sorry for not reading all the posts so far), but I somehow think this could work in some way.
I wonder if any of you have experienced the feeling when you walk down the stairs, It's pitch black and you cannot see anything. Your vision has not gotten used to the darkness, and suddenly something looks like it appeared right before your eyes, or like if something flashed in front of you or just beside you. However, after you've gotten the shit scared out of you, you see nothing and proceed.
Also, when walking past a room you saw something there, but when you went backwards to see what it was it was in fact just a normal piece of furniture, a candle or something like that.
10-07-2012, 06:30 PM
Find
Mark Vladimir Benson Lee Offline

Threads: 0

(11-22-2010, 04:43 PM)davva Wrote:
flcn27 Wrote:(I had 40 tinderboxes and 8x oil for lantern after the prison)

how is that possible :S :O

throughout the whole game i was struggeling ALL the time with lampoil, it just baffels me how you could have so many tinderboxes and oils Tongue (after the scariest part in the game)

I didnt use them ata all it became from: 'I should sva some' to 'lantern is better'
I ended up with 127 tinderboxes.Tongue
12-30-2012, 01:10 AM
Find
Tetrafish Offline

Threads: 3

There was one time I entered the last large area (where you're fist knocked out / taken prisoner by the gang of grunts). Er, when I was going up that first set of stairs before it turns 90 degrees to the left -leading to the door. I think it was the combination of the fog and the shadow's sinewy infection of the area. In my mind, for a fraction of a second - it looked subtly like a large creature or apparition. I felt scared (like, chills up my spine), and I stopped moving for a moment, but soon resumed moving forward knowing it wasn't something in the game (and it was never there all the other times I've been there).

So, I'd have to say that with the right combination of things in the environment and their placement - it could be possible to trick the person viewing it into seeing something else that isn't there. At some point you get used to seeing and dealing with the monsters. But you don't expect to see something like a dragon or a vicious apparition. Something that doesn't come after you - just staying in one spot... daring you to move. It'd be for a 'creep out' rather than a jump scare.
12-30-2012, 09:42 AM
Find
felixmole Offline

Threads: 7

One thing that would have made Amnesia scarier?

I am not against the fact that monsters despawn, but I think it should be less appearant. In the storage I saw twice a monster heading to a dead-end... only not to find it when walking all the way to that dead-end...
12-30-2012, 01:00 PM
Find
str4wberrypanic Offline

Threads: 24

New monsters.

12-30-2012, 05:03 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

(12-30-2012, 05:03 PM)str4wberrypanic Wrote: New monsters.

Assuming that you're implying that new monsters will make the game scarier because we've never seen the monsters before, then there's no point to that. Why? Because the first time ever we played Amnesia, the Brute, Grunt, and ones we're all now familiar with were also "new" to us at the time.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
12-30-2012, 05:10 PM
Find
str4wberrypanic Offline

(12-30-2012, 05:10 PM)Kreekakon Wrote:
(12-30-2012, 05:03 PM)str4wberrypanic Wrote: New monsters.

Assuming that you're implying that new monsters will make the game scarier because we've never seen the monsters before, then there's no point to that. Why? Because the first time ever we played Amnesia, the Brute, Grunt, and ones we're all now familiar with were also "new" to us at the time.
I mean, the first time i've played, i got killed by the grunt. After i saw him, i become more familiarized, so, the fear i felt before wasn't the same, because i already know him and he appeared a lot.

12-30-2012, 05:48 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

(12-30-2012, 05:48 PM)str4wberrypanic Wrote: I mean, the first time i've played, i got killed by the grunt. After i saw him, i become more familiarized, so, the fear i felt before wasn't the same, because i already know him and he appeared a lot.

That's "after" you saw him. New monsters would share the same effect as that before being seen, and getting familiarized with.

For a game like Amnesia, I'd say its monster variety count is okay. Having too much can sometimes diminish the experience by having too many monsters to "know" when compared to having a sense of dread/attachment to fewer a variety of them.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
12-30-2012, 06:28 PM
Find
str4wberrypanic Offline

(12-30-2012, 06:28 PM)Kreekakon Wrote:
(12-30-2012, 05:48 PM)str4wberrypanic Wrote: I mean, the first time i've played, i got killed by the grunt. After i saw him, i become more familiarized, so, the fear i felt before wasn't the same, because i already know him and he appeared a lot.

That's "after" you saw him. New monsters would share the same effect as that before being seen, and getting familiarized with.

For a game like Amnesia, I'd say its monster variety count is okay. Having too much can sometimes diminish the experience by having too many monsters to "know" when compared to having a sense of dread/attachment to fewer a variety of them.
I think you're right. Maybe i just got tired of them and wanted new monsters.

12-30-2012, 06:36 PM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

I Got Some Suggestions.
------
1. No Monster Music
- If you are chased by someone, is there a music?

2. Smart Monster's
- If a Monster saw you and you go to a room and hide in a closet, maybe the monster will search for you or something.

3. Random Spawn
- I think the monster's spawn should be random. If you are killed or play again, you know their location.
(EXAMPLE : First Playthrough : Grunt on Room IV
: Second Playthrough : Grunt on Room XI)
--------

Are they good?

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
01-03-2013, 01:07 AM
Find