Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 36 Vote(s) - 4.58 Average
[Amnesia] Screenshot criticism thread
Hardarm Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 39
RE: Screenshot criticism thread

(01-09-2013, 10:52 PM)Robosprog Wrote: [Image: p56KI.png]

Looks great, I have tested your story and I have to say this is the best map you released so far! Even though the light could be less "greenie".
A story must mantain a certain style but Eternium seems to vary too much.
Maybe the room is too dark with these 2 windows, but rest is really good made. You've probably got to show another bit of the story though.

Experimenting:

[Image: ImmagineFigaALITD02.png]

This is a storage room, that has been a bit modified by the chemicals. It's from ALiTD. Smile
I have raised a little the gamma for you all to see a little bit more!
EDIT: Haven't known of Danny Boy's previous pics in ANY way, so I haven't copied the glowing mushrooms, I thought it was a nice idea, even to detach and use as temporary carry-with-you source of light but well. Yeah. Busted.

listen to boards of canada
(This post was last modified: 01-10-2013, 12:59 AM by Hardarm.)
01-10-2013, 12:35 AM
Website Find
CarnivorousJelly Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 41

@ Robo:
I like the claustrophobic feeling the room creates (although that might just be my dislike of underground areas and tunnels). Considering it's made of dirt and stone, the air (ignoring the light dust particles) is really clean - maybe a bit of fog or dust - unless you were intending for a clear view. Also, the blue thingy on the floor which I can't identify really grabs attention but it looks really out of place and odd. If I could tell what it was, I might be able to say something a little bit more helpful about it.

I, too, have some more screen shots from my cs's development =)
Spoiler below!

1. Reflections are coming from a grate with water inside on the floor (sort of like in the chem lab of TDD)
[Image: cistern_map_by_rueppells_fox-d5s9va1.jpg]
2. Sorry for the blurry bit - I decided after taking the screenshot that I didn't want blood streaming down onto the skull and photoshopped it out. Also, there's no ceiling (currently a WIP)
[Image: where_there_is_death____by_rueppells_fox-d5s9uo0.jpg]
3. Same map as the other two images. I was trying to give the orchid a glow-y light-source effect without having it actually glow. Halo BB looks awful on it so I ended up throwing a bajillion tiny point lights around it =s
[Image: unlikely_place_by_rueppells_fox-d5s9uhk.jpg]

Let me know if they're too dark and I'll brighten them up a bit =D
Edit: Brightened them and changed a few angles because centered stuff is boring c:

[Image: quote_by_rueppells_fox-d9ciupp.png]
(This post was last modified: 01-22-2013, 01:21 AM by CarnivorousJelly.)
01-22-2013, 12:52 AM
Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79

The bloody tree on top of the skull is a nice touch.
01-22-2013, 01:32 AM
Find
CarnivorousJelly Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 41

(01-22-2013, 01:32 AM)Rapture Wrote: The bloody tree on top of the skull is a nice touch.

Hehe, thank you Big Grin

[Image: quote_by_rueppells_fox-d9ciupp.png]
01-22-2013, 01:50 AM
Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

(01-25-2013, 08:31 PM)Robosprog Wrote:
Spoiler below!

[Image: tavrbwf.gif]

It's looks nice.. Maybe a little too nice.
The walls are very clean. How about adding some moist or leak to the walls?

Trying is the first step to success.
01-25-2013, 11:21 PM
Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

(01-25-2013, 11:31 PM)Robosprog Wrote: after all, player will spend an hour or so in that room.

Then you better make a lot of details Smile

Trying is the first step to success.
01-26-2013, 12:38 AM
Find
NaxEla Offline

Threads: 5

[Image: xE6RlgG.jpg]

In Ruins [WIP]
01-26-2013, 06:57 PM
Find
Danny Boy Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 85

Pretty. But a bit too uniform. needs bit more verity of tones and light sources Smile
01-26-2013, 07:30 PM
Website Find
Adny Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

(01-26-2013, 06:57 PM)NaxEla Wrote: [Image: xE6RlgG.jpg]

Its too bright for the amount of light sources (1) given. Light can stretch quite a ways, but it doesn't make sense for the area directly under that ceiling hole to be the same color/brightness than an area near the corner of the map.

Also billboards could use work. Try playing with the color levels so that they match the environment around it - the shade of blue doesn't really match.

Also fog. use some of that.

I rate it 3 memes.
01-26-2013, 07:33 PM
Find
NaxEla Offline

Threads: 5

(01-26-2013, 07:30 PM)Danny Boy Wrote: Pretty. But a bit too uniform. needs bit more verity of tones and light sources Smile

I was actually planning, from the beginning, to have only one light source (the broken roof) in this area. But if you think it will look better with multiple light sources of different tones, I will try it out. Do you have any suggestions on what other light sources I could use other than torches?

andyrockin123 Wrote:Its too bright for the amount of light sources (1) given. Light can stretch quite a ways, but it doesn't make sense for the area directly under that ceiling hole to be the same color/brightness than an area near the corner of the map.

Also billboards could use work. Try playing with the color levels so that they match the environment around it - the shade of blue doesn't really match.

Also fog. use some of that.

Thanks for the reply. For the fog, do you mean like fog areas, global fog, fog particles?

In Ruins [WIP]
01-26-2013, 08:37 PM
Find