Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 36 Vote(s) - 4.58 Average
[Amnesia] Screenshot criticism thread
No Author Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 10
RE: Screenshot criticism thread

(01-27-2013, 01:12 PM)Kman Wrote: Well yeah that's what spotlights are for. Besides not having to worry about shadows makes them just that much easier to use.

It would be easier if the point light can cast shadows

[Image: the-cabin-in-the-woods-masked-people.jpg]
01-27-2013, 01:30 PM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

(01-27-2013, 01:30 PM)TheNoAuthor12 Wrote: It would be easier if the point light can cast shadows

It would also murder your PC.
01-27-2013, 03:19 PM
Find
No Author Offline
Posting Freak

(01-27-2013, 03:19 PM)martinnord Wrote:
(01-27-2013, 01:30 PM)TheNoAuthor12 Wrote: It would be easier if the point light can cast shadows

It would also murder your PC.

And Why is that ?

01-27-2013, 03:25 PM
Find
Streetboat Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

Really?

Why do you think? It's graphically intensive to compute shadows, having just a few shadow-casting spotlights alone can harm your FPS, if every single light cast shadows, the engine would shudder to a halt.

Pointlights are nice. Using them in conjunction with spotlights can create some wonderful effects.

[Image: signature-2.png]
01-27-2013, 07:53 PM
Find
CarnivorousJelly Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 41

Awkwardly interrupting a light discussion to present a screen shot
Spoiler below!

[Image: guardian_angel_by_rueppells_fox-d5t080a.png] Sorry, quality's kinda crummy. Not sure if I want to include this in my map or not - billboards are iffy things Confused

Although I, too, agree that pointlights are boss (you should see the ridiculous set-up I have for this map alone).

[Image: quote_by_rueppells_fox-d9ciupp.png]
(This post was last modified: 01-28-2013, 08:40 AM by CarnivorousJelly.)
01-28-2013, 08:39 AM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

Looks really good Kiandra, my only recommendation is to add a large/medium sized (based on the objects in scene, I'd go with a radius of maybe 8-9) in front of the angel against the wall. Make it match the light coming down but darker, but a bit noticeable, Basically try to simulate reflective light. Again, only a subtle light, but it'll make it feel a bit more natural.

EDIT: I also suggest sizing the tile smaller. The rocks on the ground seem a bit too big.

And I'm with Kman... How are pointlights a bitch? When used right, they can make a convincing scene just fine. The fact that they don't cast shadows is a LOT more controllable and helpful than you may think...
(This post was last modified: 01-28-2013, 08:53 AM by Statyk.)
01-28-2013, 08:50 AM
Find
No Author Offline
Posting Freak

(01-28-2013, 08:50 AM)Statyk Wrote: And I'm with Kman... How are pointlights a bitch? When used right, they can make a convincing scene just fine. The fact that they don't cast shadows is a LOT more controllable and helpful than you may think...

That is WHEN used right.

01-28-2013, 09:05 AM
Find
CarnivorousJelly Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 41

A geeze, awkwardly interrupting the derailing of this thread again Confused
Spoiler below!

Does it look better now (and as a background)? Big Grin I know you didn't mean "put a torch in" by "add a point light in front of the angel", I just thought maybe a torch would look kind of cool!
[Image: the_dark_descent_by_rueppells_fox-d5t2p5a.png]
(also, obviously using pointlights wrong would make a scene look uglier than Mr. FlappyJaw's backside, but the same holds true for spotlights and boxlights. For me, pointlights were the easiest to figure out and make use of. Yay, I contributed to derailing the thread)

[Image: quote_by_rueppells_fox-d9ciupp.png]
(This post was last modified: 01-29-2013, 12:29 AM by CarnivorousJelly.)
01-29-2013, 12:29 AM
Find
No Author Offline
Posting Freak

(01-29-2013, 12:29 AM)Kiandra Wrote: A geeze, awkwardly interrupting the derailing of this thread again Confused
Spoiler below!

Does it look better now (and as a background)? Big Grin I know you didn't mean "put a torch in" by "add a point light in front of the angel", I just thought maybe a torch would look kind of cool!
(also, obviously using pointlights wrong would make a scene look uglier than Mr. FlappyJaw's backside, but the same holds true for spotlights and boxlights. For me, pointlights were the easiest to figure out and make use of. Yay, I contributed to derailing the thread)

That looks really nice! I like it !
I hope I'll find how to use pointlights in the right way.

01-29-2013, 12:43 AM
Find
Danny Boy Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 85

(01-29-2013, 12:29 AM)Kiandra Wrote: A geeze, awkwardly interrupting the derailing of this thread again Confused
Spoiler below!

Looks good... I like the lighting. Though those billboards bother me a bit. Maybe you should try to make them a bit less opaque.
01-29-2013, 02:02 AM
Website Find