Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

2013-02 Tuesday 19th, Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Status Update
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25
RE: 2013-02 Tuesday 19th, Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Status Update

(02-19-2013, 09:38 PM)Minecrawler Wrote:
(02-19-2013, 09:30 PM)Traggey Wrote: I was fully able to immerse myself in Amnesia, I'm sorry mate but I just don't see your argument here.

Surely do you feel immersed in Amnesia, but the game did some things wrong compared to Penumbra or general game mechanics. As I said, if the texts would be improved that it do no longer looks like hints given to you by someone else, the immersion would be even more intensive. Because Amnesia's way was a break-down of immersion.

Perhaps english language interpretation is different to german, but in german the texts doesn't feel immersing like I remember it in Penumbra's formulation.

In german, we never say "You" when I mean myself or when I am the character and not someone called Daniel. We say "I".

This is a Googolplex alt, isn't it.

Posting Freak
02-19-2013, 11:48 PM
Website Find
Diz Offline

Threads: 4

(02-19-2013, 09:33 PM)Zgroktar Wrote: Well I don't want be Daniel because he is sadistic maniac, with severely pliable and weak character, who doesn't even have a courage to face his monstrosities, but needs a comfort of oblivion by inducing amnesia to himself. That is one of the major points of this game, you must travel in a skin of a man so despicable and to experience his world. You may have something in common with him, and you can relate to some things, but that doesn't mean ''you must be him'', and that was surely not an idea from Frictional.

I think it partially was, and if it is not the case, then I certainly believe it mildly is the way it turned out for a lot of players at least.

I believe what Minecrawler tried to say was how the game gives you a chance to relate to or be the protagonist. When you start the game, you know next to nothing, just like him, and especially whenever not reading diary entries and experiencing flashbacks, not much happens that makes it impossible to feel you are playing as yourself, if sucked into the game. You start to uncover recent past through flashbacks and diary entries, and you start to question whether you really could have done any of this, as would Daniel.

You can do and think in what way you like throughout the game, but I believe the game gives you a good opportunity to feel as if you are in fact this very person. Whether or not you would want to be him is another question, but the human mind acts in strange ways while fearing for ones life and living through terror, and at the very least, taking a drink to make you forget might very well even change you as a person, or at the least make you view your past crazy actions through diary entries and flashbacks from a different perspective, so even though Daniel's past feels like somebody who would be the complete opposite of you, I still think it is fully possible to feel responsible for any action you learn that you did while playing the game. You do not even know anything of his past or what he did until further out in the game anyway. I feel this is one of the things that can mess with one's mind when playing the game. ^^

Really excited for A Machine For Pigs now!

Radidsh is my alternate name. Hungry for horror games? Check out my channel!
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2013, 12:55 AM by Diz.)
02-20-2013, 12:53 AM
Find
NylePudding Offline

Threads: 23

Can't wait to start using those awesome new assets (and monsters!) in my own custom stories!

I also made a deal with my friend that we would play the game through in one sitting in a darkened room the day it came out, but I might chicken out...

02-20-2013, 09:06 AM
Find
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0

Quote: This is a Googolplex alt, isn't it.
Of course it is - there were exactly two german fans of the Gothic series in this forum. One is me, the other... Big Grin
Quote: Because when you say "Find something" that sounds like a hint given by the computer or an other person, but not by you.
Aah, I think here lies the language problem! You see, the translation for "find something" in this case would not be "finde etwas", but rather "etwas finden". It's an abbreviated way of writing a short note to yourself, a to do list basically. Only in english you don't use the infinitive ("to find something") for that, as you would in german, you use an imperative (I think it's an imperative?)...
Anyway, I'm glad we agree that player written notes need to come back to gaming! No more handholding, make the player think for himself again Wink
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2013, 12:02 PM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
02-20-2013, 11:18 AM
Find
Amedra Offline

Good to hear this news Smile)
02-20-2013, 11:29 AM
Find
obZen Offline

Thanks Jens, This is great news! I was really looking forward to a feb/mar release but I know the wait will be well worth it. April-June can't come soon enough!
02-20-2013, 02:29 PM
Find
Hunter of Shadows Offline

Threads: 21

(02-19-2013, 11:48 PM)Kman Wrote: [

This is a Googolplex alt, isn't it.

Don't think so, this guy has some really stupid quibbles, but his logic isn't entirely batshit insane retarded, his english doesn't suck anywhere near as bad, and he's not as annoying

What he's saying is still very arrogant...and extremely retarded(seriously man, of all the things to have a criticism for), not denying that by any means

Also I laugh at all the people complaining about delays, grow up the delays are a good thing, it means we'll be getting a fantastic game
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2013, 05:29 PM by Hunter of Shadows.)
02-20-2013, 05:27 PM
Website Find
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 16

(02-20-2013, 05:27 PM)Hunter of Shadows Wrote: Don't think so, this guy has some really stupid quibbles, but his logic isn't entirely batshit insane retarded, his english doesn't suck anywhere near as bad, and he's not as annoying

So um, not big on the G-plex, are you guys?
02-20-2013, 05:29 PM
Find
Hunter of Shadows Offline

Threads: 21

(02-20-2013, 05:29 PM)failedALIAS Wrote:
(02-20-2013, 05:27 PM)Hunter of Shadows Wrote: Don't think so, this guy has some really stupid quibbles, but his logic isn't entirely batshit insane retarded, his english doesn't suck anywhere near as bad, and he's not as annoying

So um, not big on the G-plex, are you guys?

Considering his nasty habit of stating his opinions as fact, disregarding logic and considering everyone who disagrees with him to be retarded, no not really
02-20-2013, 05:31 PM
Website Find
Minecrawler Offline
Banned

(02-20-2013, 11:18 AM)Hirnwirbel Wrote: Aah, I think here lies the language problem! You see, the translation for "find something" in this case would not be "finde etwas", but rather "etwas finden". It's an abbreviated way of writing a short note to yourself, a to do list basically. Only in english you don't use the infinitive ("to find something") for that, as you would in german, you use an imperative (I think it's an imperative?)...

Yes, that's exactly what I noticed now. I don't know how the interpretation is in english, when I say "Find the key for wine ceallar", but I think that means the same as "I have to find the key for wine cellar".
And here is the problem in translation to german. Because that would mean "Finde den Schlüssel zum Weinkeller", what means back in english: "You have to find the key for wine cellar". That's a paradoxon and in german it's bad for the immersion, when you translate english texts in 1:1 what would reads like texts written by an other person to you!

I was wondering why you english guys didn't understand my problem. But now I know why...

That was the misunderstanding, so I hope that all is clear now.
Hope to fix that in AMFP.
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2013, 05:48 PM by Minecrawler.)
02-20-2013, 05:33 PM
Find