Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Modeling/Art non-related to Amnesia / SOMA
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 0
RE: Modeling/Art non-related to Amnesia

Quote: Hand-painted seems to be a term used for cartoony textures and not ACTUAL hand-painted textures (tablet), ammiright? Because you can make a texture drawing it yourself with a tablet but people will still call it "normal texture" because it doesn't look like Torchlight or LoL. I drew a lot of textures by hand when I was modeling but for some reason that didn't qualify as "hand-painted", I think the term needs to be rewritten
as "cartoony".
Yeah, what people usually mean when they say hand-painted texture is a texture that looks handpainted, often in the style of, say, World of Warcraft or LoL where there's a lot of painted shadows, soft gradients, an emphasis on edges and highlights, etc, like Traggey did it. Maybe even visible Brush strokes like on some textures in Dishonored.

Of course every texture that you painted is technically a hand-painted texture. For example it is also perfectly possible to hand-paint photorealistic textures using custom made Photoshop brushes or the like. But I think, the point is, most people who judge your work (professionally) don't care how exactly you make your textures. They just want to know if you are able to work in a certain style or not. Wink
(This post was last modified: 03-09-2013, 06:38 PM by xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.)
03-09-2013, 06:36 PM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

I personally think that's unfortunate, because a style is not the same as technique, hand-painting is not a style per say but a technique, if I draw my textures by hand then they are hand-painted, doesn't matter if they look like LoL or photorealistic, I still drew it by hand. I could draw a cartoony texture (with lighting and shading implemented) using only filters and a few strokes, but that would not be handpainted, even if it looked like LoL, because I didn't paint it, I used layers and filters. I fully understand what you mean though, I just think it's a very distasteful way of misusing words because it discredit a lot of people that draw their texture by hand becuase they don't look a specific way, that's how I felt anyway when my texturing technique was questioned the same way as above, even though I painted it by hand.

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
(This post was last modified: 03-09-2013, 07:34 PM by eliasfrost.)
03-09-2013, 07:29 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

This is the traditional way of ''handpainting'' a texture, it has become an style and not just a technique.

There are however other catergories within handpainting such as realistic-handpainting, which is just what it sounds like.

And trust me mate, you could in no way achieve the looks of games such as warcraft or League of Legends by using photoshop filters. You won't even get close. Artists who work on games like these spend countless of hours creating the textures that end up as finall results.
(This post was last modified: 03-09-2013, 09:12 PM by Traggey.)
03-09-2013, 07:47 PM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Well, I usually run around my house, but I actually walk. But that's ok, I can call it whatever I like. Not mocking you, I just think the term is stupidly missleading and wrongly used.

03-09-2013, 08:37 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

It's the term used within the industry and it makes perfect sense to me, care to explain why you find it confusing?
03-09-2013, 09:16 PM
Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8

(03-09-2013, 05:31 PM)Traggey Wrote: Very WIP handpainted texture, do mind... FAR from finished.

A handpainted texture is a texture which is painted using a tablet. A handpainted texture requires lighting and shading being painted into the texture itself, simply using flat colours won't do.

The texture I'm showing here is using flat lighting, AKA there are no lights in the scene, no shadow is being cast on the model, there's no specular maps or anything, what you see, is what I painted.

<image>

Woah HO!!

You should post that on Polycount, see what criticism you can get.(Friggin' aliens on that forum, with their alien knowledge lost to us humans.)

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
03-09-2013, 09:53 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

I'm actually already texturing this with help from a friend of mine, Tamara AKA Firstkeeper, character artist at Blizzard.
03-09-2013, 09:59 PM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

(03-09-2013, 09:16 PM)Traggey Wrote: It's the term used within the industry and it makes perfect sense to me, care to explain why you find it confusing?

I don't find it confusing. I've never said it's confusing. I think it's a restricted term, the barrel that Aldi made is handpainted, even if it doesn't look like LoL it's still handpainted. I think it's restrictive to use handpainted textures only when it comes around to things like cartoony textures, I don't like that, and I don't think it's the right use of the word. The industry might think that, but I think the industry is wrong.

[Image: 21056603.jpg]

03-09-2013, 10:49 PM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

now that the topic is on handpainted textures here's one of my first attempts from the day before yesterday, at doing a rock/brick texture as well as handpainting. sure there were a few filters to get some blur, sharpening, noise and stuff in it but mainly I used my drawing tablet so I would call it handpainting.

I would say that this is probably the best I have gotten so far though it unfortunately did not turn out seamless enough to be tiled.

what you guys think:
[Image: KVR8iZa.jpg]

also heres a little test I did in the material editor, just wanted to see it with a a normal map(note brightened the diffuse a bit to fit the normal map)
Spoiler below!

[Image: f8sucrg.jpg]

03-09-2013, 11:58 PM
Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8

To make a tiled texture, I believe you quarter it into sections, move the sections to the opposite side of the image(So that the middle is now on the outside) and then fix the new center.

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
03-10-2013, 12:21 AM
Find