Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 36 Vote(s) - 4.58 Average
[Amnesia] Screenshot criticism thread
DeAngelo Offline

Threads: 26
RE: Screenshot criticism thread

(03-16-2013, 12:06 AM)Robosprog Wrote: Room is WAAAAY too bright. You shouldn't use that large, bright pointlights near a window, make the spotlight more of a golden colour, and use a large radius with an angle not facing the ground so much - have it affect the bookcases too. Also, billboards seem a little weird and end too suddenly imo, make them a dark gold colour and make sure that the end fades off and no visible hard lines. Have smaller pointlights illuminate the window pane, then the area around it, have a large one for each with incredibly, near 0,0,0 colour, and have it basically the light of the windows just darker.

Use more decals/static decals around bookcases as well maybe (paper?) The lamp is pointless to be honest, no point having it and it may as well be removed. Also, ceiling looks really boring, maybe use the mansionbase roof set? I think I can also see in the far distance of the picture that the bookcase is clipping into the wall - move it out. Also make particles more of the color of the window and set alpha to 0.85 I'd say, so they aren't that blatant.

A lot of what you're saying might as well be another language to me, but I gave your suggestions a shot. I can't really find a good "golden" color but for now I'm using 0.55,0.55,0.00. If there's a better set of numbers you have in mind, let me know. I didn't have any pointlights in my level so I'm not sure what you meant by that, perhaps the light coming from the lamp.

I hate to go against something suggested by such an established member of the community, but 2 things I didn't want to change: 1, the lamp. I'm not sure why you say there's "no point" in having it. I have them scattered around the room to show how a person would illuminate it at night. As for putting paper decals on the floor, I get what you're suggesting, but I've played many custom stories where I go into a library or something and there's crap all over the floor even though the storyline implies the room is in use and well kept. That always breaks realism for me. Feel free to tell me if and how I'm wrong on that though, because I probably am :p

Spoiler below!
[Image: 2013-03-15_00003.jpg]

A Late Night Drink http://www.moddb.com/mods/a-late-night-drink
Check out my LP channel, CatBearGaming, I take all Custom Story requests!
03-16-2013, 01:22 AM
Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79

Seems a bit to "yellow" like someone is raining piss outside. Make it lighter, a cross between tan and yellow, but leaning more on the tanish/white side. Or make it a little bit more orange to signify dusk.

Your second windows billboards are going through the floor I think.
03-16-2013, 04:51 AM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

(03-16-2013, 01:22 AM)DeAngelo Wrote:
(03-16-2013, 12:06 AM)Robosprog Wrote: Room is WAAAAY too bright. You shouldn't use that large, bright pointlights near a window, make the spotlight more of a golden colour, and use a large radius with an angle not facing the ground so much - have it affect the bookcases too. Also, billboards seem a little weird and end too suddenly imo, make them a dark gold colour and make sure that the end fades off and no visible hard lines. Have smaller pointlights illuminate the window pane, then the area around it, have a large one for each with incredibly, near 0,0,0 colour, and have it basically the light of the windows just darker.

Use more decals/static decals around bookcases as well maybe (paper?) The lamp is pointless to be honest, no point having it and it may as well be removed. Also, ceiling looks really boring, maybe use the mansionbase roof set? I think I can also see in the far distance of the picture that the bookcase is clipping into the wall - move it out. Also make particles more of the color of the window and set alpha to 0.85 I'd say, so they aren't that blatant.

A lot of what you're saying might as well be another language to me, but I gave your suggestions a shot. I can't really find a good "golden" color but for now I'm using 0.55,0.55,0.00. If there's a better set of numbers you have in mind, let me know. I didn't have any pointlights in my level so I'm not sure what you meant by that, perhaps the light coming from the lamp.

I hate to go against something suggested by such an established member of the community, but 2 things I didn't want to change: 1, the lamp. I'm not sure why you say there's "no point" in having it. I have them scattered around the room to show how a person would illuminate it at night. As for putting paper decals on the floor, I get what you're suggesting, but I've played many custom stories where I go into a library or something and there's crap all over the floor even though the storyline implies the room is in use and well kept. That always breaks realism for me. Feel free to tell me if and how I'm wrong on that though, because I probably am :p

*PIC*

Well, i like it. But, it looked liked a bit green-ish. I agree that the lamp do have an importance, but turn it off. A regular person will turn it off in the day to save stuff to burn.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
03-16-2013, 07:00 AM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Now, i learn some things since i say bad things about my screenshot to make people to see it. I am very sorry for that. Thanks all of you for giving me a lesson.
Spoiler below!

Hallway.
[Image: 7121kk.jpg]

Spoiler below!

The Grand Hall.
[Image: MTHME3J.png]

Please give me your constructive feedback so that i can fix whatever what is wrong.
Also, please note that it is still a work in progress.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2013, 12:19 PM by PutraenusAlivius.)
03-16-2013, 12:18 PM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

(03-16-2013, 12:40 PM)Robosprog Wrote: You aren't using a boxlight, use one (0.075,0.075,0.075), your spotlights are pure white, light isn't like that, make them more of a creamy/yellowy colour thats not too bright, all of your rooms have no detail, add decals to the floor, bookshelves, etc. Make them actively look like a mansion not a game map.

That is why i said it's still a work in progress. I am now adding bookshelves.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
03-16-2013, 12:46 PM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

(03-16-2013, 01:07 PM)Robosprog Wrote:
(03-16-2013, 12:46 PM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote:
(03-16-2013, 12:40 PM)Robosprog Wrote: You aren't using a boxlight, use one (0.075,0.075,0.075), your spotlights are pure white, light isn't like that, make them more of a creamy/yellowy colour thats not too bright, all of your rooms have no detail, add decals to the floor, bookshelves, etc. Make them actively look like a mansion not a game map.

Why post a WIP screenshot to be criticized then dismiss the criticism because its WIP?.. Why?
Sorry for that. I was busy today. In Monday, i got a test, i have to study more.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
03-16-2013, 02:03 PM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

(03-16-2013, 03:03 PM)Robosprog Wrote:
(03-16-2013, 02:03 PM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote:
(03-16-2013, 01:07 PM)Robosprog Wrote:
(03-16-2013, 12:46 PM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote:

Why post a WIP screenshot to be criticized then dismiss the criticism because its WIP?.. Why?
Sorry for that. I was busy today. In Monday, i got a test, i have to study more.
You're 11, if a test is affecting you this much you should talk to your parents and find a way to help your nerves, seriously.
The test does not affect me that much. I got a practice on 30th of March which is very hard. Each day we got a test. So my mind is literally killing me.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
03-16-2013, 03:44 PM
Find
ingedoom Offline

Threads: 12

Is it possible to get some critique on this menu bg screenshot?
Spoiler below!

[Image: 2p5az5x73rxx98ufg.jpg]

[Image: 23778.png]
03-16-2013, 04:41 PM
Website Find
No Author Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 10

(03-16-2013, 04:41 PM)ingedoom Wrote: Is it possible to get some critique on this menu bg screenshot?
Spoiler below!

[Image: 2p5az5x73rxx98ufg.jpg]

Yes, it's possible.
The menu looks fine. Add some fogs would do the trick.

[Image: the-cabin-in-the-woods-masked-people.jpg]
03-16-2013, 04:47 PM
Find
DeAngelo Offline

Threads: 26

OK, I see what you guys are saying about the lamp. My CS is gonna be a pretty linear story-focused one so I actually didn't plan on giving the player any tinderboxes in the first place, but I'll keep that "examine area" trick in mind for any future times I want to have a lamp for decoration but not have it be lightable. I've added the colors you suggested and moved the billboards so they don't clip through the floor (I hope)

Here's a screen with your suggestions. From this angle, the far billboards almost look like they're clipping, but I went up to them and they fade right before they hit the floor so I think I got the angle perfect.

Spoiler below!
[Image: 2013-03-16_00001.jpg]

A Late Night Drink http://www.moddb.com/mods/a-late-night-drink
Check out my LP channel, CatBearGaming, I take all Custom Story requests!
03-16-2013, 04:55 PM
Find