Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 36 Vote(s) - 4.58 Average
[Amnesia] Screenshot criticism thread
CarnivorousJelly Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 41
RE: Screenshot criticism thread

Try making them more transparent (see-through), make sure there are no gaps between your billboards. There are a ton of good tutorials on how to make billboards look nice on the forum and the wiki Smile

If all else fails, open up one of TDD's maps in the level editor and look at how they did it.

[Image: quote_by_rueppells_fox-d9ciupp.png]
(This post was last modified: 03-17-2013, 03:04 AM by CarnivorousJelly.)
03-17-2013, 03:03 AM
Find
NaxEla Offline

Threads: 5

Inside of an abandoned shed in the middle of a forest. It's from a custom story that I abandoned, but thought that I would post it anyway.

[Image: MOUEJN2.jpg]
[large view]

In Ruins [WIP]
(This post was last modified: 03-17-2013, 08:32 AM by NaxEla.)
03-17-2013, 08:31 AM
Find
Hardarm Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 39

(03-17-2013, 08:31 AM)NaxEla Wrote: Inside of an abandoned shed in the middle of a forest. It's from a custom story that I abandoned, but thought that I would post it anyway.

[large view]

Wow, that looks pretty awesome!

Lighting:
It is very nice, but it is too light. KEEP THE SAME COLOUR but try to remove a bit of the brightness, so try to divide by the same number the boxlight values. (Also, try to have a colour variation where the light hits, the rest can be purpley but the center of the light must be blue"

Mapping:
Also the mapping looks pretty nice and claustrophobic. The thing is: Why putting the lamp that way? Make a welder to it instead and THEN attach a lamp to it Smile

Try also lots of static decals, they won't affect the weight of the game like normal decals do.

Try putting some dirt_floor_'s under something you find dirty. Place the height at 0.001 - 0.002 and then Random rotate them by the Y axis. Also try to Rand the size of the object. If you want it to be big 1, then do 1; 1; 1; - 1.1; 1.1; 1.1; will create more variation.

Don't be afraid to use also the static decals "moist_walls" and "dirt_wall_leak", they will give a f**king nice effect overall to the room, story will be taken more serious!

listen to boards of canada
03-17-2013, 08:43 AM
Website Find
NaxEla Offline

Threads: 5

(03-17-2013, 08:43 AM)Hardarm Wrote:
(03-17-2013, 08:31 AM)NaxEla Wrote: Inside of an abandoned shed in the middle of a forest. It's from a custom story that I abandoned, but thought that I would post it anyway.

[large view]

Wow, that looks pretty awesome!

Lighting:
It is very nice, but it is too light. KEEP THE SAME COLOUR but try to remove a bit of the brightness, so try to divide by the same number the boxlight values. (Also, try to have a colour variation where the light hits, the rest can be purpley but the center of the light must be blue"

Mapping:
Also the mapping looks pretty nice and claustrophobic. The thing is: Why putting the lamp that way? Make a welder to it instead and THEN attach a lamp to it Smile

Try also lots of static decals, they won't affect the weight of the game like normal decals do.

Try putting some dirt_floor_'s under something you find dirty. Place the height at 0.001 - 0.002 and then Random rotate them by the Y axis. Also try to Rand the size of the object. If you want it to be big 1, then do 1; 1; 1; - 1.1; 1.1; 1.1; will create more variation.

Don't be afraid to use also the static decals "moist_walls" and "dirt_wall_leak", they will give a f**king nice effect overall to the room, story will be taken more serious!

Thank you Hardarm for the tips

In Ruins [WIP]
03-17-2013, 08:54 AM
Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

(03-17-2013, 02:55 AM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: In the original Amnesia, the billboards look realistic. In my CS, it looked fake. How to make the billboards to look realistic?

If you really want it to look like how it does in the original maps, why not go to the map with the corresponding theme, and copy the billboards from there?

Trying is the first step to success.
03-17-2013, 11:35 AM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

(03-17-2013, 11:35 AM)BeeKayK Wrote:
(03-17-2013, 02:55 AM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: In the original Amnesia, the billboards look realistic. In my CS, it looked fake. How to make the billboards to look realistic?

If you really want it to look like how it does in the original maps, why not go to the map with the corresponding theme, and copy the billboards from there?

I don't. I just wanna it to look realistic. Like how light travels in real life.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
03-17-2013, 12:36 PM
Find
CarnivorousJelly Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 41

I already explained this:
(03-17-2013, 02:17 AM)Kiandra Wrote: Make sure that your billboards are only coming in from one side of the map. Light behaves like both a wave and a particle, meaning it will travel in a (somewhat) linear direction. It also refracts and reflects *slightly*. Due to this nature, unless you have a light source on either side of the church, light (and thus billboards and spotlights) will only be shining in from one side and one angle even if there are windows on both sides.
(and now here's an expansion):
Like this image; there are windows both on the sides and the ceiling, but light is only travelling in from the one on the ceiling. There is still light from the other two windows - you have a brighter outside area and a darker inside area, the light is going to bounce and leak in - but they do not produce the light rays (billboards) that the middle ceiling window does.

Other than that, light rays (billboards) will also be transparent, like in the image I linked, where you can still see the details behind the billboards.

TL;DR: one angle, one side for light (and billboards); if you can't see through your billboards, they're too bright.

[Image: quote_by_rueppells_fox-d9ciupp.png]
(This post was last modified: 03-17-2013, 08:35 PM by CarnivorousJelly.)
03-17-2013, 08:32 PM
Find
Hardarm Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 39

More screenies b1tch4s

[Image: ALITD16.png]

[Image: ALITD17.png]

listen to boards of canada
03-17-2013, 08:55 PM
Website Find
Adrianis Offline

Threads: 6

(03-17-2013, 08:55 PM)Hardarm Wrote:
Spoiler below!

More screenies b1tch4s

[Image: ALITD16.png]

[Image: ALITD17.png]

They look really great. As screenshots, you may want them to be a bit brighter, I'm sure that works in-game but as something to display to people on the internet, the first one especially, just a bit too dark imo...

03-17-2013, 09:04 PM
Find
Adny Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

Everyone else must have their gamma at 11 out of 10, because I cannot see either of those except the light source in the middle.

I rate it 3 memes.
03-17-2013, 09:12 PM
Find