Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 1
Dyjamster Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion

Anyways, I like the longer teasers music. Sounds Zimmer inspired with the D minor sort of epic feel. The first teaser I don't like so much, it has the inception brroooong sound with little else but, as said they are too short to extensively comment on. The quiet music at the end of both trailers seems likely that it may be a repeated idea for the game which could be interesting...

The OST is being mastered which could be a sign the game is close to release! hopefully
04-13-2013, 06:12 PM
Find
GiggleBlizzard Offline

Threads: 2

(04-13-2013, 06:12 PM)Dyjamster Wrote: Anyways, I like the longer teasers music. Sounds Zimmer inspired with the D minor sort of epic feel. The first teaser I don't like so much, it has the inception brroooong sound with little else but, as said they are too short to extensively comment on. The quiet music at the end of both trailers seems likely that it may be a repeated idea for the game which could be interesting...

The OST is being mastered which could be a sign the game is close to release! hopefully

What is a D minor sort of epic feel anyway, as far as I know every key sounds the same if you do the right scales. Then again I only have relative pitch hearing and not perfect pitch hearing (which shouldn't make a difference).
04-13-2013, 06:40 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(04-13-2013, 06:40 PM)GiggleBlizzard Wrote:
(04-13-2013, 06:12 PM)Dyjamster Wrote: Anyways, I like the longer teasers music. Sounds Zimmer inspired with the D minor sort of epic feel. The first teaser I don't like so much, it has the inception brroooong sound with little else but, as said they are too short to extensively comment on. The quiet music at the end of both trailers seems likely that it may be a repeated idea for the game which could be interesting...

What is a D minor sort of epic feel anyway, as far as I know every key sounds the same if you do the right scales. Then again I only have relative pitch hearing and not perfect pitch hearing (which shouldn't make a difference).

EDIT: You're right in any case, although some people insist that there is a difference between the keys. Beethoven for example reserved certain keys for certain moods or ideas, although I doubt he really thought there was a tangible difference between them. It's just a useful way to organize your ideas.
(This post was last modified: 04-13-2013, 06:46 PM by Bridge.)
04-13-2013, 06:42 PM
Find
Dyjamster Offline

There are slight differences

With bach and some baroque tuning works on the principle of well temperament. For instance if you tune the piano so the C, and G are a fifth apart mathematically (3/2) and go from there, music in other keys will be out of tune. Piano tuners thus tune everything roughly by ear. In modern music equal temperament is used and each semitone is the twelfth root of 2 (an approximate) apart. It doesn't sound as nice sometimes, well temperament can sound interesting. It's quite complicated to explain but some videos do it quite well. Keys on the piano and other instruments have different amounts of overtones because of this approximation and as such sound ever so slightly different. This is my people in the period who used well temperament may have confessed to liking specific keys.

I wasn't saying the piece was good because it was in D minor, I was just referencing Zimmer's constant use of the D minor piece. For some perfect pitched people key does matter, some can't stand if a piece of music is played in a different key then usual.

Interestingly, songs like 'Hey Jude' are almost always sung in the right key by non musicians when asked to with no reference, and in China, where the pitch of syllables matter for there language, there is a much higher rate of pitch perfect people.

To be honest most people including me can't really tell much differences between keys, like the spinal tap reference above!

Some more interesting stuff here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musical_temperament
(This post was last modified: 04-13-2013, 07:56 PM by Dyjamster.)
04-13-2013, 07:11 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

(04-13-2013, 07:11 PM)Dyjamster Wrote: With modern tuning, on pianos particularly, works on the principle of well temperament. For instance if you tune the piano so the C, and G are a fifth apart mathematically (3/2) and go from there, music in other keys will be out of tune. This is because in the baroque period we simplified the amount of notes from around 18 to 12 which means that we approximate note relations for a 12 note system. Piano tuners thus tune everything roughly by ear. It's quite complicated to explain but some videos do it quite well. Keys on the piano and other instruments have different amounts of overtones because of this approximation and as such sound ever so slightly different.

Um, would you mind linking to these videos you are referring to? As far as I know, there is no difference between the keys, unless you are a machine. Sure, there is a timbral difference between the strings of the piano, but you can play any key in any register so while you cannot go down to G0 in G major you can play A0 and every note up to C8 and there will be no discernible difference in mood. I agree there is a contextual difference, like the example I just gave: If a composer wants that really low tonic he obviously is going to want to transpose it to another key (piano - of course).

Are you honestly saying you can pick up on inaccuracy in tuning of only a few cents? Even then, that has nothing to do with the keys themselves, which ideally should be completely equal, no matter what some string of wind players are wont to do.
(This post was last modified: 04-13-2013, 07:28 PM by Bridge.)
04-13-2013, 07:24 PM
Find
GiggleBlizzard Offline

(04-13-2013, 07:11 PM)Dyjamster Wrote:

There are slight differences

With bach and some baroque tuning, on pianos particularly, works on the principle of well temperament. For instance if you tune the piano so the C, and G are a fifth apart mathematically (3/2) and go from there, music in other keys will be out of tune. Piano tuners thus tune everything roughly by ear. In modern music equal temperament is used and each semitone is the twelfth root of 2 (an approximate) apart. It doesn't sound as nice sometimes, well temperament can sound interesting. It's quite complicated to explain but some videos do it quite well. Keys on the piano and other instruments have different amounts of overtones because of this approximation and as such sound ever so slightly different. This is my people in the period who used well temperament may have confessed to liking specific keys.

I wasn't saying the piece was good because it was in D minor, I was just referencing Zimmer's constant use of the D minor piece. For some perfect pitched people key does matter, some can't stand if a piece of music is played in a different key then usual.

Interestingly, songs like 'Hey Jude' are almost always sung in the right key by non musicians when asked to with no reference, and in China, where the pitch of syllables matter for there language, there is a much higher rate of pitch perfect people.

To be honest most people including me can't really tell much differences between keys, like the spinal tap reference above!

Some more interesting stuff here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musical_temperament

That's really interesting, thanks a lot. I'm a pianist myself, though not a very traditional one and I rarely play by notes or classical music in general. I have tuned pianos a few times and I do it by ear, but I never really thought about it.
04-13-2013, 07:55 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

(04-13-2013, 07:55 PM)GiggleBlizzard Wrote: That's really interesting, thanks a lot. I'm a pianist myself, though not a very traditional one and I rarely play by notes or classical music in general. I have tuned pianos a few times and I do it by ear, but I never really thought about it.

As an addendum, you should realize that there is a certain class of string player that considers enharmonic notes to be completely different. Therefore, some string players do detect a difference between keys, because they sharpen their sharps and flatten their flats by like 5-20 cents. It's almost imperceptible, but it makes a difference to some people. Therefore, a ridiculous key like Fb major played by (a) string player(s) is likely to sound slightly different from E major.
04-13-2013, 08:08 PM
Find
Dyjamster Offline

Bridge:

You can tell the differences in some cases, keep in mind this is not done nowadays. Equal temperament makes all keys essentially the same but approximates the fifth and third relationships.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uCu5pTBzbU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNY7Eyntlt0

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal_temperament

This is why composers from the past might have preferred keys, nowadays it all sound similar to all but the pitch perfect people except if you are playing in the style of the piece and the relevant tuning.
(This post was last modified: 04-13-2013, 08:23 PM by Dyjamster.)
04-13-2013, 08:20 PM
Find
MyRedNeptune Offline

Threads: 3

(04-13-2013, 01:40 PM)Bridge Wrote:
(04-13-2013, 01:29 PM)GiggleBlizzard Wrote:
(04-13-2013, 01:23 PM)Bridge Wrote: So, am I the only one who's not impressed with Jessica Curry's music? It's not that great.

You're not all alone, I think her stuff for Dear Esther is great but I haven't heard much else so I'm not sure how well she can do other types of music and I'm a bit sceptical on how well she'll do the noisy horror music.

That too, but in general the music for Dear Esther is pretty boring. It's not bad per se, it's just stagnant. All of the themes are severely underdeveloped IMO.

Haha. I don't want to piss anyone off here, but this post made me feel fuzzy inside for a moment. Big Grin

^(;,;)^
04-13-2013, 10:09 PM
Find
GiggleBlizzard Offline

(04-13-2013, 08:20 PM)Dyjamster Wrote: Bridge:

You can tell the differences in some cases, keep in mind this is not done nowadays. Equal temperament makes all keys essentially the same but approximates the fifth and third relationships.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uCu5pTBzbU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNY7Eyntlt0

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal_temperament

This is why composers from the past might have preferred keys, nowadays it all sound similar to all but the pitch perfect people except if you are playing in the style of the piece and the relevant tuning.

Thanks, just watched the first video and that's really interesting, it makes a lot of sense. Man, music science is awesome.
04-14-2013, 02:22 AM
Find