Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 1
sasaluvsamnesia7 Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion

(04-13-2013, 01:52 PM)wtfomg Wrote: nope. dear esther ost is amazing , while penumbra and amnesia ost was okay, nothing memorable imo. so im sure Jessica Curry will do a better job than Mikko hopefully.
silent hill 2 has the best soundtrack, hope the sound design and music is dark , creepy and disturbing.

--

Nothing memorable? I beg to differ.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyC8xcyBPnI

I love Daniel's Theme, it's so good. I listen to it often. And I also love the suitor chase music in Justine. It's more terrifying then the chase music in TDD, that's for sure.

I've never played Dear Esther so I cannot say anything about its music. But from both teaser trailers for A Machine for Pigs, I really enjoyed what I heard from Jessica thus far, so I am not at all worried about the ambiance and music. I really liked it.
(This post was last modified: 04-14-2013, 05:48 AM by sasaluvsamnesia7.)
04-14-2013, 05:42 AM
Find
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 176

I thought the chorus in Daniel's Theme was pushing it.

[Image: p229xcq]
04-14-2013, 05:59 AM
Find
TankiCam Offline

(04-14-2013, 05:42 AM)sasaluvsamnesia7 Wrote:
(04-13-2013, 01:52 PM)wtfomg Wrote: nope. dear esther ost is amazing , while penumbra and amnesia ost was okay, nothing memorable imo. so im sure Jessica Curry will do a better job than Mikko hopefully.
silent hill 2 has the best soundtrack, hope the sound design and music is dark , creepy and disturbing.

--

Nothing memorable? I beg to differ.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyC8xcyBPnI

I love Daniel's Theme, it's so good. I listen to it often. And I also love the suitor chase music in Justine. It's more terrifying then the chase music in TDD, that's for sure.

I've never played Dear Esther so I cannot say anything about its music. But from both teaser trailers for A Machine for Pigs, I really enjoyed what I heard from Jessica thus far, so I am not at all worried about the ambiance and music. I really liked it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6qcd2tl7R8
just throwing that out there aswell. Love this song.
04-14-2013, 06:55 AM
Find
Zgroktar Offline

Threads: 1

(04-13-2013, 06:42 PM)Bridge Wrote:
(04-13-2013, 06:40 PM)GiggleBlizzard Wrote:
(04-13-2013, 06:12 PM)Dyjamster Wrote: Anyways, I like the longer teasers music. Sounds Zimmer inspired with the D minor sort of epic feel. The first teaser I don't like so much, it has the inception brroooong sound with little else but, as said they are too short to extensively comment on. The quiet music at the end of both trailers seems likely that it may be a repeated idea for the game which could be interesting...

The OST is being mastered which could be a sign the game is close to release! hopefully

What is a D minor sort of epic feel anyway, as far as I know every key sounds the same if you do the right scales. Then again I only have relative pitch hearing and not perfect pitch hearing (which shouldn't make a difference).

EDIT: You're right in any case, although some people insist that there is a difference between the keys. Beethoven for example reserved certain keys for certain moods or ideas, although I doubt he really thought there was a tangible difference between them. It's just a useful way to organize your ideas.

Not only Beethoven, but Mozart and many more included, and considering from what I read about their opinions about the keys, the considered them as a symbols of a certain idea or a feeling. Personally I can feel the difference between the keys, especially the minor ones. C minor, D minor, F-sharp minor, and all the rest actually create a special feeling that it is highly distinguishable from others. Beethoven's work in C minor all have the same feeling, as those few in D or C-sharp minor, and actually from what I've heard all works in C minor sound very similar, Haydn Symphony in C minor, Mozart Piano Concert in C minor, Beethoven Violin Sonata in C minor, Bach's Prelude and Fugue in C minor. Try to compare them.
04-14-2013, 11:31 AM
Find
Scammel Offline

Complete guess as to game's backstory: Following the death of his children, our heartbroken, unstable protagonist Mandus seeks a way to bring them back (as implied by the poem on the main site). In the course of his feverish studies into theories of the afterlife, he stumbles across a substance with otherworldly power: Vitae.

Realising just how much of the stuff is required to pull off the ability to raise the dead, he creates a vast facility for the torture of pigs and extraction of vitae, throwing up a public façade of a meat processing factory. It begins to dawn on him that this isn't enough however, so he begins abducting the 'pigs' of society - criminals, the homeless, orphans - and subjects them to similar treatments Alexander inflicted on his prisoners. It's these poor, broken souls that stalk the corridors of the factory, driven insane by pain and degradation.

Oh, and he loses his memory somewhere along the line.
(This post was last modified: 04-14-2013, 06:25 PM by Scammel.)
04-14-2013, 11:56 AM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(04-14-2013, 11:31 AM)Zgroktar Wrote: Not only Beethoven, but Mozart and many more included, and considering from what I read about their opinions about the keys, the considered them as a symbols of a certain idea or a feeling. Personally I can feel the difference between the keys, especially the minor ones. C minor, D minor, F-sharp minor, and all the rest actually create a special feeling that it is highly distinguishable from others. Beethoven's work in C minor all have the same feeling, as those few in D or C-sharp minor, and actually from what I've heard all works in C minor sound very similar, Haydn Symphony in C minor, Mozart Piano Concert in C minor, Beethoven Violin Sonata in C minor, Bach's Prelude and Fugue in C minor. Try to compare them.

That has nothing to do with the keys themselves however.
04-14-2013, 01:27 PM
Find
Dyjamster Offline

Well, I always prefer composing in certain keys. Maybe due to the sounds, probably just due to the layout of the notes on a piano that I prefer
04-14-2013, 02:07 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(04-14-2013, 02:07 PM)Dyjamster Wrote: Well, I always prefer composing in certain keys. Maybe due to the sounds, probably just due to the layout of the notes on a piano that I prefer

Naturally. There certainly is a practical and sometimes timbral difference between the keys that one should always consider. Do you have any of your compositions uploaded anywhere?
04-14-2013, 03:47 PM
Find
Lleviathyn Offline

Threads: 3

(04-14-2013, 11:56 AM)Scammel Wrote: Complete guess as to game's backstory: Following the death of his children, our heartbroken, unstable protagonist Mandus seeks a way to bring them back (as implied by the poem on the main site). In the course of his feverish studies into theories of the afterlife, he stumbles across a substance with otherworldly power: Vitae.

Realising just how much of the stuff is required to pull off the ability to raise the dead, he creates a vast facility for the torture of pigs and extraction of vitae, throwing up a public façade of a meat processing factory. It begins to dawn on him that this isn't enough however, so he begins abducting the 'pigs' of society - criminals, the homeless, orphans - and subjects them to the similar treatments Alexander inflicted on his prisoners. It's these poor, broken souls that stalk the corridors of the factory, driven insane by pain and degradation.

Oh, and he loses his memory somewhere along the line.
That sounds like it could actually be the story. Possibly, he took the Amnesia mixture after he found out the magnitude of what he was doing, like Daniel.
(This post was last modified: 04-14-2013, 04:50 PM by Lleviathyn.)
04-14-2013, 04:50 PM
Find
Deep One Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 9

I think his illness caused the amnesia, not amnesia mixture.
04-14-2013, 05:36 PM
Find