Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Name the 10 most overhyped games of this decade.
Guyra Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Name the 10 most overhyped games of this decade.

I think F.E.A.R. was pretty over hyped. It was a non-scary, only decent FPS game without a great story... I doubt I'll play the expansions or the upcoming sequel. Tongue
02-07-2009, 03:23 PM
Find
jamhaw Offline

Threads: 30

(02-07-2009, 03:23 PM)Guyra Wrote: I think F.E.A.R. was pretty over hyped. It was a non-scary, only decent FPS game without a great story... I doubt I'll play the expansions or the upcoming sequel. Tongue

The expansions apparently are uncanonical, so you don't need to play them story wise although I thought that Perseus Mandate looked pretty cool.
02-07-2009, 05:02 PM
Find
Tommy Gun Offline

Threads: 26

(02-07-2009, 05:02 PM)jamhaw Wrote:
(02-07-2009, 03:23 PM)Guyra Wrote: I think F.E.A.R. was pretty over hyped. It was a non-scary, only decent FPS game without a great story... I doubt I'll play the expansions or the upcoming sequel. Tongue

The expansions apparently are uncanonical, so you don't need to play them story wise although I thought that Perseus Mandate looked pretty cool.

Honestly? Perseus Mandate was better than F.E.A.R by far, it was just more challenging and more interesting, there are some creepy scenes that are better than the original.

Not an image
02-09-2009, 08:03 AM
Find
Kedjane Offline

Threads: 13

I was just talking about FEAR in another forum, I'm seriously hyped on the second one.
The reason F.E.A.R. became so popular is because of the intelligent AI. The enemies respond really fast to everything you do, take cover, tip over shelves and use as cover and so on.
If you can play through the entire game in a dark room at night and not be scared (as in jumping a bit, no games can scare you enough to make you not want to play them these days) you're really not easily scared. I was never "scared" by FEAR the way I was scared by Unreal when I was younger, but I did jump a bit almost every encounter with enemies.
The expansions Extraction Point and Perseus Mandate weren't made by the original FEAR team and both are pretty bland. I've just played through Extraction Point and it was pretty much FEAR with a new weapon, a new enemy and a pretty crazy plot.
However FEAR 2 seems extremely nice if you ask me. I'm getting it the very release date.

(02-09-2009, 08:03 AM)Tommy Gun Wrote:
(02-07-2009, 05:02 PM)jamhaw Wrote:

Honestly? Perseus Mandate was better than F.E.A.R by far, it was just more challenging and more interesting, there are some creepy scenes that are better than the original.

Really? I've just played FEAR and Extraction Point, but I've got Perseus Mandate. IGN gave it 5.2 out of 10, but the reader average was 8.0 so I guess I'll have to see who's right about that.

Worst regards, Kejdane.
205 characters remaining.
02-09-2009, 12:44 PM
Find
dragonmaster Offline

Threads: 17

I don't think FEAR 2 is going to be overhyped. I played the demo, and it is not the scariest game, but one of the most beautiful games i think i have ever seen.
Even though FEAR 1 didn't really scare me much (Neither did dead space, but Penumbra BP and Doom 3 scared me) the action is pretty freakin awesome. And heck, i'm also getting it because they license the engine.

I like horror games but not the ones that give u nightmares :P
But i like the ones that give you an urge to open every door and drawer that you see for a month :D
02-10-2009, 02:19 AM
Find
Tommy Gun Offline

(02-09-2009, 12:44 PM)Kedjane Wrote: Really? I've just played FEAR and Extraction Point, but I've got Perseus Mandate. IGN gave it 5.2 out of 10, but the reader average was 8.0 so I guess I'll have to see who's right about that.

Mhmm, IGN can be pretty unforgiving, but i did enjoy it more than the original, it had built on the original, nd im not a fan of solid shooters, so that's alot coming from me.

Not an image
02-10-2009, 05:07 AM
Find
Kedjane Offline

Threads: 13

(02-10-2009, 05:07 AM)Tommy Gun Wrote:
(02-09-2009, 12:44 PM)Kedjane Wrote: Really? I've just played FEAR and Extraction Point, but I've got Perseus Mandate. IGN gave it 5.2 out of 10, but the reader average was 8.0 so I guess I'll have to see who's right about that.

Mhmm, IGN can be pretty unforgiving, but i did enjoy it more than the original, it had built on the original, nd im not a fan of solid shooters, so that's alot coming from me.

Yeah, I played it through yesterday. Perseus Mandate was better than the original. Fewer longer fights and more focus on the story and scares.

Worst regards, Kejdane.
205 characters remaining.
02-10-2009, 01:20 PM
Find
Tommy Gun Offline

(02-10-2009, 01:20 PM)Kedjane Wrote:
(02-10-2009, 05:07 AM)Tommy Gun Wrote:

Yeah, I played it through yesterday. Perseus Mandate was better than the original. Fewer longer fights and more focus on the story and scares.

Mhmm, i enjoyed it more than its predessor, with introductions of elite units, new enviroments, a dashing of new guns (i think) and a good story with a spooky atmosphere. (especially liked the old underground metro)

Not an image
(This post was last modified: 02-11-2009, 05:16 AM by ARes88.)
02-11-2009, 05:15 AM
Find