Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 36 Vote(s) - 4.58 Average
[Amnesia] Screenshot criticism thread
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25
RE: Screenshot criticism thread

I mainly think he's a better mapper just because I feel he's a lot more creative with the assets. Don't get me wrong hardarm is a great mapper, it's just what I've seen from him he uses a lot of basic level ideas/layouts (don't even try to tell me you've never seen a warm mansion base area before, cause that environment is in like every other custom story ever) but then just does it really fucking well.

For example:
[Image: SoH7.jpg]

I don't think I've ever seen someone make a butchers shop/torture chamber/whatever you want to call it quite like this before.
[Image: ruinedhouse1.jpg]

Up until I saw this screenshot I don't think I'd ever seen someone attempt to build a barn before, or even use planes as walls, or use the shadow goo to hold together a building like that

There isn't a very good screenshot of it, but the graveyard area in Deterioration to this day is still probably the best map I've seen in Amnesia. It might not have been the most amazingly mapped, but it was one of the most interesting looking maps I'd ever seen just cause the ideas used in it were totally fresh.

Posting Freak
04-22-2013, 09:06 AM
Website Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

(04-22-2013, 09:06 AM)Kman Wrote: I mainly think he's a better mapper just because I feel he's a lot more creative with the assets. Don't get me wrong hardarm is a great mapper, it's just what I've seen from him he uses a lot of basic level ideas/layouts (don't even try to tell me you've never seen a warm mansion base area before, cause that environment is in like every other custom story ever) but then just does it really fucking well.

For example:
[Image: SoH7.jpg]

I don't think I've ever seen someone make a butchers shop/torture chamber/whatever you want to call it quite like this before.
[Image: ruinedhouse1.jpg]

Up until I saw this screenshot I don't think I'd ever seen someone attempt to build a barn before, or even use planes as walls, or use the shadow goo to hold together a building like that

There isn't a very good screenshot of it, but the graveyard area in Deterioration to this day is still probably the best map I've seen in Amnesia. It might not have been the most amazingly mapped, but it was one of the most interesting looking maps I'd ever seen just cause the ideas used in it were totally fresh.
I dont really think it is fair to compare hardarms mapping skill with a screenshot that is pure custom assets, while streetboat is mainly standard amnesia ones.
I remember one image hardarm made that is abselutely stunning. Hardarm showed me a better version of the image from a different perspective once, but this was all I was able to find and its still goddamn brilliant:

[Image: ALITD12.png]

oh and btw this might be a bit dark on some peoples monitors, looks completely fine on mine but I cant say for your's, just thought you should keep that in mind.

TBH judging from the recent images I think its more like:
Hardarm >= streetboat
hes only slightly superior, and only in their best images can you see the difference in skill.
04-22-2013, 10:55 AM
Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

Page 100 guys Smile

Trying is the first step to success.
04-22-2013, 12:34 PM
Find
Adrianis Offline

Threads: 6

If you guys want to argue about whos the best mapper, you should totally make another thread for it. It started as a joke but now looks kinda lame, and potentially offensive to the people being discussed...

You should also not be using logical operators (<, >, <=, >=) on totally subjective subject material.

Jus sayin

04-22-2013, 12:40 PM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

Just two screenshots from my bedroom level in AFM. I took your advices and I personally think the results are nice. It's just the fact that I don't know where to put the carpet and what to fill in the left part (the second screenshot)

Spoiler below!
[Image: 2e333u1.jpg]
Spoiler below!
[Image: 0w60169.jpg]

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
04-22-2013, 12:59 PM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

(04-22-2013, 12:59 PM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: Just two screenshots from my bedroom level in AFM. I took your advices and I personally think the results are nice. It's just the fact that I don't know where to put the carpet and what to fill in the left part (the second screenshot)

Spoiler below!
Spoiler below!

Not stunning but its starting to look pretty good Jap!
I would say that you should scale that clock down again though, as it looks odd when you compare its size to the size of the closet next to it.
also maybe increase the tiling on the floor a little.
those planks look just a bit too large IMO.
04-22-2013, 01:18 PM
Find
Adrianis Offline

(04-22-2013, 12:59 PM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: Just two screenshots from my bedroom level in AFM. I took your advices and I personally think the results are nice. It's just the fact that I don't know where to put the carpet and what to fill in the left part (the second screenshot)

Spoiler below!
Spoiler below!

Looking much better.
One small thing, in the corner of the ceiling at the top in the first pic, you can see the border of the spotlight which looks a bit strange. Maybe increase the FOV so it covers the corner as well, or add another very faint light to make that border less obvious?

04-22-2013, 01:36 PM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

(04-22-2013, 01:36 PM)Adrianis Wrote:

Spoiler below!
Spoiler below!

Looking much better.
One small thing, in the corner of the ceiling at the top in the first pic, you can see the border of the spotlight which looks a bit strange. Maybe increase the FOV so it covers the corner as well, or add another very faint light to make that border less obvious?
I didn't see any borders. If you mean the white thingy at the corner, then that's a spiderweb I put.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
04-22-2013, 01:40 PM
Find
Adrianis Offline

EDIT: EHEM sorry that's never happened to me before Tongue

Lets try that again...

In the pic, highlighted in red. That's what I was referring to, the circular border of the spotlight, where it's illuminating the ceiling. It's a very obvious circle of light, whereas the rest of the room has quite a natural spread of light

Like I said, only a small thing. Does that help... ?

(today's lesson -> don't drag & drop pictures from the desktop into the comment text editor. Bad, bad things happen)

Attached Files
.jpg   Untitled.jpg (Size: 105.72 KB / Downloads: 164)

(This post was last modified: 04-22-2013, 03:41 PM by Adrianis.)
04-22-2013, 03:12 PM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

the server cant handle the url when I try to connect with it lol
04-22-2013, 03:17 PM
Find