Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion Topic Part 1
Themaagen Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs Discussion

(04-22-2013, 04:23 PM)bluel0bster Wrote:
(04-22-2013, 03:26 PM)Themaagen Wrote: I meant use Jack the Ripper in kinda the same way they used The Order of the Black Eagle. Diaries, newspaper articles, that sorta thing Smile And I can't think of all the streets of London, they would coincidently choose those streets, but yeah maybe who knows

But that's what I love with Amnesia -historical details. What other game takes place in the 1800 Prussia?
Just remembered reading that the game would take place in the past and present, so we might have scenes around the time of Jack the Ripper :p Maybe just a dialog "Have you heard of this Jack the Ripper fellow? " "Oh yes, dreadful! Why can't he be more civilised! "

Well, I really hope not... seems kinda cheesy for an FG game.
Yes, very! The dialog thing was a joke, but i do think that the Jack the Ripper killings could be implemented in the some way without ruining anything Smile Not that they should force it. I trust them with the writing. But living in London in that time, i would think it impossible to not hear of JTR in some way... I mean it was a world news back then on a count of how brutal it was, wasn't it?
(This post was last modified: 04-22-2013, 05:46 PM by Themaagen.)
04-22-2013, 04:48 PM
Find
n0rtygames Offline

Sorry if this has been asked (There's a lot of volume on the forum, so please tell me off if it has been!) but has there been any hint at AAMFP supporting surround sound setups with a little more ease than TDD?

I haven't gotten around to playing Dear Esther yet, so I don't know how The Chinese Room tend to deal with audio. I have been lead to understand that Frictional limited audio options for sensible compatibility issues?

Student at Miskatonic University. Also make games and rather enjoy horrors!
04-22-2013, 06:40 PM
Find
Deep One Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 9

(04-22-2013, 06:40 PM)n0rtygames Wrote: Sorry if this has been asked (There's a lot of volume on the forum, so please tell me off if it has been!) but has there been any hint at AAMFP supporting surround sound setups with a little more ease than TDD?

I haven't gotten around to playing Dear Esther yet, so I don't know how The Chinese Room tend to deal with audio. I have been lead to understand that Frictional limited audio options for sensible compatibility issues?

Yes: http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-13623.html

Quote: How can I best enjoy the sound of AMFP?
I'll start by getting the negatives out the way, the games sound will struggle on laptop speakers, as they can just about get to the right volume level for the internet let alone game titles.

The best way to enjoy AMFP's audio is on a home theatre system or a PC equivalent (something like this http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduc...-CL&tool=3 (please note this isn't tested on AMFP, I'm just using it as an example)). A subwoofer and a good set of speakers will allow you to experience the game in all of it's fear inducing quality.
04-22-2013, 06:56 PM
Find
n0rtygames Offline

Ah, fantastic. Thank you very much for the direct link. I was struggling to find some things Smile

Student at Miskatonic University. Also make games and rather enjoy horrors!
04-22-2013, 07:03 PM
Find
samueljustice00 Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 2

That's changed a bit, we ended up doing a total remix on the game due to the general setup of most players being headphones/home theater setups. The game will run in surround but the assets themselves have been designed for a 2 channel stereo setup. This means that whilst 3D sounds will pan to rear speakers, the ambience and non 3D sounds will only play in stereo.

The game will absolutely be best enjoyed with a good 2.1 setup or some nice headphones.

A quick google shows some nice reviews for good 2.1 speakers http://bestpcspeakers.org/best-computer-speakers/

Here's something interesting for you folks, a quick windows search for extension .ogg in The Dark Descent sound folder shows around 1500 files, Pigs is now upto 2700!

Audio Lead - Frictional Games
(This post was last modified: 04-22-2013, 09:59 PM by samueljustice00.)
04-22-2013, 09:50 PM
Find
fancreeper Offline

Threads: 3

sigh*
04-22-2013, 09:55 PM
Find
Paddy™ Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 43

(04-22-2013, 09:50 PM)samueljustice00 Wrote: Here's something interesting for you folks, a quick windows search for extension .ogg in The Dark Descent sound folder shows around 1500 files, Pigs is now upto 2700!

I have a question which isn't important in the slightest, but out of curiosity: are all of those AAMFP sounds new or are there some .ogg files from the original game included?

I'm looking forward to the release of the game so I can visit your site and get all the behind the scenes info Big Grin Did you also manage the creation of the enemy sounds?
04-22-2013, 10:11 PM
Find
samueljustice00 Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 2

(04-22-2013, 10:11 PM)Paddy Wrote:
(04-22-2013, 09:50 PM)samueljustice00 Wrote: Here's something interesting for you folks, a quick windows search for extension .ogg in The Dark Descent sound folder shows around 1500 files, Pigs is now upto 2700!

I have a question which isn't important in the slightest, but out of curiosity: are all of those AAMFP sounds new or are there some .ogg files from the original game included?

I'm looking forward to the release of the game so I can visit your site and get all the behind the scenes info Big Grin Did you also manage the creation of the enemy sounds?

99.9% is new content, only one or two sounds from TDD. The enemies were extra fun to design, but lips are sealed!

Audio Lead - Frictional Games
04-22-2013, 10:15 PM
Find
MyRedNeptune Offline

Threads: 3

^You guys rock. Smile

^(;,;)^
04-22-2013, 10:25 PM
Find
rtjhbfvsrry Offline

Threads: 1

Enemies, plural! That should settle some of the fears earlier in this thread that they were reusing too much old stuff and that wouldn't be scary.
04-22-2013, 10:30 PM
Find