Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 2.13 Average
Rose marry hill and Haunted house comes togheter in a indie game!
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75
RE: Rose marry hill and Haunted house comes togheter in a indie game!

(05-01-2013, 02:28 PM)immaturegames Wrote:
(05-01-2013, 02:23 PM)Mr Credits Wrote: immaturegames, mrsomeepicrandomguy, why don't you guys look into the Unity engine?

At the basic level it's free, and has a very wide set of features. (More than HPL2, honestly) I'm sure with your levels of experience you'd both be fine in learning how to work with it.
Yea where moving to udk. Thank you

Sorry smoke for what he did, going to talk to him.

And could someone remove this thread? Cant to it myself

Edit the first post and click "Delete Post".

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
05-01-2013, 02:35 PM
Find
CorinthianMerchant Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 84

(05-01-2013, 01:00 PM)immaturegames Wrote: Well then just stop looking here if you don't like it, not any harder than that guys

And if a moderator could remove this thread because everyone is so harsh I dont want the thread any more.

Go get some humility and learn to take criticism maturely instead of going "DONT LYKE IT DONT WATCH IT CLOZE DIS THREED EVRYONE IZ 2 MEAN" when people doesn't give you unconditional praise.

Regarding your project, I must say that I agree with Kman completely. Create a regular CS instead of a new "indie game".

Still hasn't gotten over the loss of wubwub...
05-01-2013, 02:38 PM
Find
Adrianis Offline

Threads: 6

(05-01-2013, 02:23 PM)Mr Credits Wrote: immaturegames, mrsomeepicrandomguy, why don't you guys look into the Unity engine?

At the basic level it's free, and has a very wide set of features. (More than HPL2, honestly) I'm sure with your levels of experience you'd both be fine in learning how to work with it.

Unity is great, but there is a lot of groundwork needed to get to the level of functionality that HPL2 has already. If you're intention is to create a game like Amnesia, and you have access to the HPL2 source code, then it would be better to work with that because you can change or add to existing functionality.

Starting a new Unity project with the intent of having the same functionality as HPL2 would essentially require you to repeat much of what has been done in HPL2 already, in terms of gameplay programming. Reinventing the wheel only makes sense if you don't already have access to said wheel.

If the intention is not to use much of the functionality that HPL2 offers, then Unity would be a better option. I'm sure immaturegames and mrsomeepicrandomguy already have the intention of making a game like Amnesia so it makes sense.

Good luck to you guys, go ahead and do what you think is best Smile

(This post was last modified: 05-01-2013, 02:43 PM by Adrianis.)
05-01-2013, 02:40 PM
Find
Tomato Cat Offline

Threads: 2

(05-01-2013, 02:40 PM)Adrianis Wrote:

Unity is great, but there is a lot of groundwork needed to get to the level of functionality that HPL2 has already. If you're intention is to create a game like Amnesia, and you have access to the HPL2 source code, then it would be better to work with that because you can change or add to existing functionality.

Starting a new Unity project with the intent of having the same functionality as HPL2 would essentially require you to repeat much of what has been done in HPL2 already, in terms of gameplay programming. Reinventing the wheel only makes sense if you don't already have access to said wheel.

If the intention is not to use much of the functionality that HPL2 offers, then Unity would be a better option. I'm sure immaturegames and mrsomeepicrandomguy already have the intention of making a game like Amnesia so it makes sense.

What you're saying about groundwork is true. =p

They both had mentioned "indie game," so I figured their plans involved something unique from ATDD and simply required an engine to work with.
05-01-2013, 02:48 PM
Find
Artyom Offline

Threads: 27

If I were you, I would most defiantly make either a cs or a FC before even touching the source code itself.

Also the maps looks... bad, most of the rooms were poorly detailed and the mix of entities made it look strange and out of frame.

I'm not claiming to be the best mapper in the world but seriously I could do a lot better then this.

So as a conclusion, I'd say that this would make a decent FC mod but a Indie game... No.

Still It's great that you have the ambiance to actually make a Indie game.

- Inactive account -
05-01-2013, 05:59 PM
Find
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 87

(05-01-2013, 02:40 PM)Adrianis Wrote:

I highly doubt these clowns have access to the games source code.

The fact that immaturegames flips on a dime to change to a new engine just shows his/her commitment to the project.

05-01-2013, 06:21 PM
Find
Streetboat Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

Warning lights went off in my head the moment I saw that their names were 'immaturegames' and 'mrsomeepicrandomguy'... -____-

[Image: signature-2.png]
05-01-2013, 07:49 PM
Find
Adrianis Offline

Threads: 6

(05-01-2013, 06:21 PM)darkely Wrote: I highly doubt these clowns have access to the games source code.

The fact that immaturegames flips on a dime to change to a new engine just shows his/her commitment to the project.

Is there any reason in particular that you feel you need to insult them? Did they offend you in some way? The fact that they want to go elsewhere is hardly surprising, considering the level of unsolicited abuse they're receiving, for... what exactly? Proposing a project? No, switching engine shows that they are still committed to the project, not the opposite.

05-01-2013, 10:25 PM
Find
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 87

(05-01-2013, 10:25 PM)Adrianis Wrote:
(05-01-2013, 06:21 PM)darkely Wrote: I highly doubt these clowns have access to the games source code.

Is there any reason in particular that you feel you need to insult them? Did they offend you in some way? The fact that they want to go elsewhere is hardly surprising, considering the level of unsolicited abuse they're receiving, for... what exactly? Proposing a project? No, switching engine shows that they are still committed to the project, not the opposite.

That was an insult? whatever you say champ. They said that they had the engine files when in reality they don't - they lied.

At first they wanted to make a game with the HPL2 engine, but now they want to swap to Unity or UDK. The entire thing seems fishy and I'm not the only one.

It's funny how you call me specifically out when there are others here saying similar things.

05-01-2013, 10:49 PM
Find
OriginalUsername Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 42

(05-01-2013, 10:49 PM)darkely Wrote:
(05-01-2013, 10:25 PM)Adrianis Wrote:

That was an insult? whatever you say champ. They said that they had the engine files when in reality they don't - they lied.

At first they wanted to make a game with the HPL2 engine, but now they want to swap to Unity or UDK. The entire thing seems fishy and I'm not the only one.

It's funny how you call me specifically out when there are others here saying similar things.

This is true, I may have offended them..
05-01-2013, 10:53 PM
Find