Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Things that would have made Amnesia scarier
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34
RE: Things that would have made Amnesia scarier

Actually I do believe that in one of the original concepts for the brute, he was much larger, but he never made it to the final game, perhaps they did not like him or just because they could simply not fit him through the doors.
Spoiler below!

[Image: jknpDAX.jpg]

[Image: w0KfyYY.jpg] [Image: v2TKzzs.jpg]

02-07-2013, 09:34 PM
Find
Dusty926 Offline

Threads: 2

(02-07-2013, 09:34 PM)martinnord Wrote: Actually I do believe that in one of the original concepts for the brute, he was much larger, but he never made it to the final game, perhaps they did not like him or just because they could simply not fit him through the doors.
Spoiler below!

[Image: jknpDAX.jpg]

[Image: w0KfyYY.jpg] [Image: v2TKzzs.jpg]

I think I now know where the name, "Vagina face." came from.
02-07-2013, 10:10 PM
Find
amnesiabeast Offline

Threads: 0

[quote='Dusty926' pid='198651' dateline='1360271403']
[quote='martinnord' pid='198639' dateline='1360269240']
Actually I do believe that in one of the original concepts for the brute, he was much larger, but he never made it to the final game, perhaps they did not like him or just because they could simply not fit him through the doors.

See, that's what I'm thinking. If you have larger monsters. Those can be the ones you hide from. It makes no sense to hide from smaller ones, those should be the ones we fight. That way you make people who want to fight happy by having some monsters you can fight, but you still have the hiding stuff for larger monsters.

In real life, even if it's a "monster" if it's no bigger than a human, I'm not going to run. Id just kick that thing in the head or throw something at it. You could use a makeshift spear even. But for larger monsters, it's like "okay, now I get it. I have to hide."
02-07-2013, 10:39 PM
Find
ScaryGamingNetwork Offline

(02-07-2013, 10:39 PM)amnesiabeast Wrote: [quote='Dusty926' pid='198651' dateline='1360271403']
[quote='martinnord' pid='198639' dateline='1360269240']

See, that's what I'm thinking. If you have larger monsters. Those can be the ones you hide from. It makes no sense to hide from smaller ones, those should be the ones we fight. That way you make people who want to fight happy by having some monsters you can fight, but you still have the hiding stuff for larger monsters.

In real life, even if it's a "monster" if it's no bigger than a human, I'm not going to run. Id just kick that thing in the head or throw something at it. You could use a makeshift spear even. But for larger monsters, it's like "okay, now I get it. I have to hide."

Once you allow players to be able to defend themselves, it gets rid of one of the main features that made Amnesia so scary. If you are allowed to fight back, you are not going to be as afraid when encountering these 'smaller monsters' that you say you would attack in real life. In the game, they make Daniel out to be so weak and so afraid of everything going on, and since he is so weak the player feels helpless in these situations. But if you gave Daniel any type of way to defend himself, whenever you see a monster you may get scared for a second, but then instead of the terror one feels when running away from a monster that can destroy you while you desperately try to hide in a dark room, you are instead just running up to the monster with a weapon, killing it and eliminating what scared you. After doing this for awhile, one would get used to killing these monsters, and it will start to feel like a chore.

In regards to having larger monsters making an appearance, it would not be so bad. But you have to realize that the bigger a monster is does not mean that the monster is going to be scarier. It seems that often the larger a monster is after a certain point, the less scary it seems. For instance if a monster is 10x my size, i will obviously be able to see it from far away, and therefore also be able to keep an eye on it. If it was my characters size or smaller, its much more likely to sneak up on the player and cause shock.
02-10-2013, 08:03 AM
Website Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

another reason that the monsters have a human size would probably also be the uncanny valley thing:
http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/episode...nny-valley
02-10-2013, 02:33 PM
Find
Bacon Strips Offline

What I would have thought would have made it scarier is this,
- Lantern is darker and more candle-ish.
- The Grunts (the monsters at the beginning of the game) would check some closets not ALL closets but some.
- When the monster try's to kill you, you have a more ragdoll-ish fall and you hear yourself hit the floor and die.

This game is also pretty scary by it self too. but I read a while back someone suggested motion controls and I have to say no that's terrible it won't work it will be unaccurate it be really hard to run and turn valves and things.
(This post was last modified: 05-15-2013, 09:04 PM by Bacon Strips.)
05-15-2013, 09:03 PM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

Please do not post in a thread that's one month old or older.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
05-16-2013, 12:57 AM
Find
CorinthianMerchant Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 84

(05-16-2013, 12:57 AM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: Please do not post in a thread that's one month old or older.

Quit the minimodding, thx.

Still hasn't gotten over the loss of wubwub...
05-16-2013, 10:43 AM
Find
Tiger Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 16

(05-16-2013, 12:57 AM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: Please do not post in a thread that's one month old or older.

JAP, if anyone has anything interesting to add to a discussion, it's not wrong to bump an "old" thread. You should have learned that by now.
05-16-2013, 03:34 PM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

(05-16-2013, 03:34 PM)Tiger Wrote:

JAP, if anyone has anything interesting to add to a discussion, it's not wrong to bump an "old" thread. You should have learned that by now.

I've learned that now. Someone bumped a thread and I didn't scold him/her.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
05-16-2013, 03:37 PM
Find