Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 36 Vote(s) - 4.58 Average
[Amnesia] Screenshot criticism thread
CarnivorousJelly Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 41
RE: Screenshot criticism thread

(05-27-2013, 10:55 PM)Zokrar Wrote: What do y'all think of this?
<image>

Oooh, I don't believe I've seen any screenshots from you before; you must be a new member :) Hi there!

I like the concept - not sure where you're going with it, but it's looking pretty nifty so far! The sky is pretty black, though. This wouldn't be too bad for nighttime, but you definitely need to darken the ambient light (I think it's a boxlight) to be more suitable to night-time if that's the case. You could throw in a skybox. If you're not sure how to add skyboxes, I can explain in more detail.

The railings either side which connect the gate to the stairs do look a little out of place. You might want to try using the castlebase railing for connectivity's sake. Also, where there are bends or gaps in the railing (such as between the stairs and the flat part), you can throw in welders to make them seem like one, long, connected railing.

Other than that, the stairs seem a little bit stretched. Most models start to look really bad once you've stretched them past 2. Try something around 1.75, or, if you really want that width, you could put two narrow stair cases side-by-side with a welder in the middle to connect them :D

Let me know if I need to clarify anything I said, I tend to ramble a bit and stop making sense once in a while.

(05-28-2013, 06:42 AM)Smoke Wrote: Alright, thanks! But how do I let the color of the window appear in the room? Add a blue pointlight in the center of the room?

Try a blue-ish pointlight by the window, maybe with a radius of 2.5~4 that's about half as bright as the spotlight shining through the window (assuming your spotlight is blue and not white). Or you could make the boxlight slightly blue in colour.

Edit: well this is awkward, I said I'd have a screenshot for this post

[Image: quote_by_rueppells_fox-d9ciupp.png]
(This post was last modified: 05-28-2013, 06:48 AM by CarnivorousJelly.)
05-28-2013, 06:45 AM
Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

(05-28-2013, 06:42 AM)Smoke Wrote:
(05-27-2013, 10:20 PM)BeeKayK Wrote: Yes. More blue. Or change the tone of the billboards. What you can see is that the window emits the most light, and therefore it gives the most color to the room. The candles only have their color, where they are, in the corner.

Why isn't there curtains on the window? If this was a normal house it'd have curtains, I'm pretty sure about that.

How about a carpet? That'd be nice.

A plant is nearly a must! The walls are red, and the window is blue. We need something that is green to fulfill our color-abstinences. You could place it on the table.

EDIT: Oh... I see I'm a little late about that screenshot... sorry... Um, yea, hope it's ok.

Alright, thanks! But how do I let the color of the window appear in the room? Add a blue pointlight in the center of the room?

Well, you obviously have some lights going on already. What you do is changing the color of them.

Have a very bright pointlight close to the window, which is where the brightest light would be.

A darker pointlight, which emits the color around the room.

At last, the red/yellow-ish pointlight at the candles.

Remember to have a boxlight. Maybe something like 0.05 / 0.05 / 0.07

Trying is the first step to success.
05-28-2013, 09:02 AM
Find
Zokrar Offline

Threads: 16

Thanks for the feedback! As for the sky, this screenshot was taken in a nightmare during the story, so the fog is black and everything is distorted/wavey. As for the railings, I hadn't noticed that. Thanks!

05-28-2013, 01:40 PM
Find
Posting Freak

[Image: 20f278x.jpg]

Li'l toilet.

(This post was last modified: 05-28-2013, 01:49 PM by FlawlessHappiness.)
05-28-2013, 01:49 PM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

(05-28-2013, 01:49 PM)BeeKayK Wrote: [Image: 20f278x.jpg]

Li'l toilet.

Nice! But the light was bothering me. The light at the ceiling have no light whatsoever at the ceiling. And you forgot a urinal. Nvm I said that if it's the girl's bathroom.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
05-28-2013, 02:54 PM
Find
Posting Freak

No, there is not much light at the ceiling, since the lamps aren't really pointing at the ceiling. There is a little, since the tiles are reflecting a little.

I have no urinal model. Therefore no urinal Wink

05-28-2013, 03:02 PM
Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79

You could use a border to where the floor and walls texture meet.

Go into GIMP/Photoshop, open up the the wall tiled texture, make it darker and save it out as a separate texture. And add a 6 inch (Give it a 3d look) border at the bottom.
05-28-2013, 04:46 PM
Find
Posting Freak

I'm a complete noob when it comes to textures and editing them.

I'm already having different problems with these.

Since I usually change the tiling of them, it becomes harder to put 2 planes with the same texture together without having a separating line... Hopefully it will not be noticed

05-28-2013, 05:48 PM
Find
CarnivorousJelly Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 41

(05-28-2013, 05:48 PM)BeeKayK Wrote: I'm a complete noob when it comes to textures and editing them.

I'm already having different problems with these.

Since I usually change the tiling of them, it becomes harder to put 2 planes with the same texture together without having a separating line... Hopefully it will not be noticed

Clicking the "Align to World Coordinates" button is the quickest way to fix that :p

Or you could adjust the tile offset (from the plane menu) until they look super fancy and awesome.

Question: If the walls are planes, how are you getting them to light up? Usually, when I put planes in for walls or vertical surfaces, they end up really dark and just looking really bad (ignore me if they're static objects).

[Image: quote_by_rueppells_fox-d9ciupp.png]
05-28-2013, 06:09 PM
Find
Posting Freak

They're basic planes... I don't know what I did. Maybe it's your texture?
Only problem is that chairs go crazy if they touch the walls by a door.

Align to Worl Coordinates cannot be used since they're vertical. Vertical planes go crazy too!

05-28-2013, 06:55 PM
Find