Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 36 Vote(s) - 4.58 Average
[Amnesia] Screenshot criticism thread
CarnivorousJelly Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 41
RE: Screenshot criticism thread

(06-08-2013, 01:25 AM)BeeKayK Wrote: Yes, but they're not 100% working. I've been playing a little with them, and yes, if I look at the billboards while being close to them, they disappear, but if I look away from them, while being inside them, they appear, which doesn't look very good :( Though, great work Kiandra. Are you doing a custom story, or just being awesome?

I'm not sure what to do about that :s Maybe a larger halo size?

Also, I was originally "just being awesome" :p , then I thought of a place that the map could actually be used in my CS so I'll probably spruce it up a little bit more and smack the rest of the map together so it doesn't look like an impractical wall piece :D

[Image: quote_by_rueppells_fox-d9ciupp.png]
06-08-2013, 08:33 AM
Find
VeNoMzTeamHysterical Offline

Threads: 36

What you guys think about this ;D
Cost me 2-3 hours for that little room Tongue
[Image: ad27u8.jpg]

http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-21719.html
Evil Awaking Work In Progress!
Hours Spend 472.
06-08-2013, 07:22 PM
Website Find
Hardarm Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 39

(06-08-2013, 07:22 PM)VeNoMzTeamHysterical Wrote: What you guys think about this ;D

deja vu.

listen to boards of canada
(This post was last modified: 06-08-2013, 08:27 PM by Hardarm.)
06-08-2013, 08:26 PM
Website Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

(06-08-2013, 07:22 PM)VeNoMzTeamHysterical Wrote: What you guys think about this ;D

When looking at how close the ceiling is to collapsing with rocks coming down everywhere, I feel that you should put more small to medium sized rocks on the floor and add some dust.
I mean smaller rocks can obviously fit through those holes the big ones are stuck in so they should have fallen through.
should be some bottles and stuff fallen on the floor due to the shaking that would come from the rocks falling down like that.
Perhaps also have a plank or 2 broken off from the ceiling.
some static dirt decals and such maybe?
06-08-2013, 09:06 PM
Find
VeNoMzTeamHysterical Offline

Threads: 36

(06-08-2013, 09:06 PM)The Mug Wrote:

When looking at how close the ceiling is to collapsing with rocks coming down everywhere, I feel that you should put more small to medium sized rocks on the floor and add some dust.
I mean smaller rocks can obviously fit through those holes the big ones are stuck in so they should have fallen through.
should be some bottles and stuff fallen on the floor due to the shaking that would come from the rocks falling down like that.
Perhaps also have a plank or 2 broken off from the ceiling.
some static dirt decals and such maybe?
THANKS I WORK ON IT Wink

http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-21719.html
Evil Awaking Work In Progress!
Hours Spend 472.
06-08-2013, 09:51 PM
Website Find
Kalidus Offline

Threads: 1

I'm currently working on a full conversion story and feel I have gotten far enough to post a few screens from it. I want it to be a modern looking building, but limited to the Amnesia models it looks like an old manor for now. Can't wait to get new models and items from AAMFP!

So I plan to overhaul the entire look of it after AAMPF is released with, hopefully, more modern looking walls, floors, lights, etc. But the general layout, setup and atmosphere of the areas will remain the same.

The mod will be called The Pavor Hills Incident and it will be an extreme psychological horror with purpose of making the player feel uncomfortable and uneasy non-stop by combining atmosphere, special encounters, effects and the use of sounds and music that have certain effects on the brain.

Here are a few images, you can see all of them in the album.

Spoiler below!

[Image: Amnesia2013-06-0911-02-14-550_zps3c308208.png~original]

[Image: Amnesia2013-06-0910-55-56-619_zpsf668717c.png~original]

[Image: Amnesia2013-06-0911-03-01-951_zpsf17c48fe.png~original]

[Image: Amnesia2013-06-0911-01-32-935_zps60bdcc9e.png~original]

(This post was last modified: 06-09-2013, 11:04 AM by Kalidus.)
06-09-2013, 10:57 AM
Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

Hello my friend. The editting itself is good
Now you need to be working with some lighting.
(Notes added in the spoiler.)

(06-09-2013, 10:57 AM)Kalidus Wrote:
Spoiler below!

[Image: Amnesia2013-06-0911-02-14-550_zps3c308208.png~original]
In this image, you have a very dark right side. Nearly black. It needs a little more light. Light is reflected from walls. Having a pitch black wall is just so unrealistic.

[Image: Amnesia2013-06-0910-55-56-619_zpsf668717c.png~original]
This one is pretty basic. "The bedroom". You might want to have a carpet. It's like there is a big emptiness in the middle. That's strange. Either make the room smaller, or have something in there.

[Image: Amnesia2013-06-0911-03-01-951_zpsf17c48fe.png~original]
Here, it comes again with the lighting. Take a good look at the picture. Do you see the dark areas between the lights? These would not happen in real life. Light gets darker, yes, but they do not end just like that. Pointlights, spotlights and boxlights are your friends! Use them!

[Image: Amnesia2013-06-0911-01-32-935_zps60bdcc9e.png~original]
This one is good. Everything seems well lit up. Maybe except for the walls on the left and right. They only have light in the bottom-half, but those lights would light up the whole wall. The lighting at the windows in the far back looks good

Trying is the first step to success.
06-09-2013, 11:44 AM
Find
Kalidus Offline

Threads: 1

(06-09-2013, 11:44 AM)BeeKayK Wrote: Hello my friend. The editting itself is good
Now you need to be working with some lighting.

Thanks for quick feedback! Smile The lighting is one of the things I have struggled with most so far - so your notes are really helpful. I'll get working on it.
06-09-2013, 01:17 PM
Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

Hello guys.
I'm really having trouble with some lighting, so these pictures will not be about level editting. Only lighting.

I'm creating an indoor/outdoor map. And I'm now kinda thinking that I should make it 2 maps instead... That just makes it more complicated since both maps must look exactly the same, when looking outside the windows.

As for the lighting:
Outside should be well lit, since it's daytime. But The sunlight would not reach everywhere inside, because of walls. Of course it should get through windows, but I can fix that with spotlights.

Right now the whole map is just covered in a box light with the values 0.3 0.3 0.3 1.
Maybe that's enough? I just feel like the house is too lit.

Inside
Spoiler below!

[Image: 6rnjg6.jpg]

[Image: ilyvit.jpg]

Outside
Spoiler below!

[Image: 2rm1bic.jpg]

Any tips or help?

(It looks darker because of the IFUS!)
Spoiler below!

Image Forum Upload Syndrome

If it's too dark, then nevermind the pictures.

Trying is the first step to success.
(This post was last modified: 06-11-2013, 04:13 PM by FlawlessHappiness.)
06-11-2013, 04:09 PM
Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79

(Spent like 30 minutes on this demonstration, excuse it's terrible design.)

Picture 1
Spoiler below!
[Image: firstgh.png]
I have set all the Boxlights "Blender Function" under the "Box" property "Add".

Red Outline - The biggest of them, I have this encompassing the area. I set the R/G/B/A to 0.1/0.1/0.1/1. This will be the darkness that simulates the house. And adds a little color to the outside.

Yellow Outline - Second biggest, this encompasses the area outside of the house. Our "lit" area. R/G/B/A to 0.3/0.3/0.3/1

I have them butted up as close as possible (They meet where the door is, and where the window reaches the outside. You'll have to try it out for yourself and fix it accordingly.), but the 0.2 difference in light is somewhat noticeable. So I placed a very thin boxlight with a R/G/B/A to 0.2/0.2/0.2/1 to ease the transition, but it's still somewhat noticeable, but a lot better. (Check the yellow outlines in the picture below.)

Teal Outline - Where the thin boxlight is, see first picture.

Spoiler below!
[Image: secondpl.png]

View from the inside, looking out.

Spoiler below!
[Image: thirdne.png]

//////////////////////
I know you weren't looking for Level Editing tips, but I really have to point out. (Even if your stuff is WIP)

That is sucks badly IMO. If your working on lighting, I'm assuming your close to completing that area/map.

Lighting and level design go hand in hand. If either one is bad, the entire thing will be bad. So work more on your level designing also! Smile

////

I worked on before a really old Mod(It's been Hiatus/cancelled) and I did around 3-4 outside environment maps. Each with different lighting. Early morning, sunny afternoon, dusk and mid-night.

If you want some examples to help you improve your work, I can send them to you. I don't have much need for them anymore.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/amnesia-the-da...1#imagebox

Their are only 4 images that you need to look at. Starting at the "Dusk" deep red/orange sunset, and the 3 images to the right. Ending with the early morning with the village.
(This post was last modified: 06-11-2013, 08:34 PM by Rapture.)
06-11-2013, 08:29 PM
Find