Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

I'm sorry I pirated Amnesia...
Wooderson Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25
RE: I'm sorry I pirated Amnesia...

(07-16-2013, 09:25 PM)Bridge Wrote: Might I infer from the fact that all of you care so much that you actually consider piracy to be a grievous offense in the first place? Then I'd like to remind you that he is still guilty of doing so and by buying it now he is doing little more than mitigating the consequences. I'm not saying I consider it a big deal - I don't - but you guys hardly praise everybody who buys the game and shower them with reps. You might call his account heartfelt, but I call it melodramatic. It deserves acknowledgement as an apology and nothing more.

I agree, but stop being the bad guy.

[Image: luv.gif]
07-16-2013, 09:43 PM
Find
Zaari Offline

Threads: 0

[Image: oprah.gif]

"Marzipan, darling."
07-16-2013, 09:58 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

(07-16-2013, 09:43 PM)Wooderson Wrote:
(07-16-2013, 09:25 PM)Bridge Wrote: Might I infer from the fact that all of you care so much that you actually consider piracy to be a grievous offense in the first place? Then I'd like to remind you that he is still guilty of doing so and by buying it now he is doing little more than mitigating the consequences. I'm not saying I consider it a big deal - I don't - but you guys hardly praise everybody who buys the game and shower them with reps. You might call his account heartfelt, but I call it melodramatic. It deserves acknowledgement as an apology and nothing more.

I agree, but stop being the bad guy.

It's not my fault the OP is being so melodramatic. It's like if someone came up to you and said "I'm so sorry I thought bad thoughts about you. Can you please forgive me?". Nobody cares at all because the only one even remotely affected is the OP. I'm glad he bought the game, honestly, but why is the knowledge he did good not enough to quell his guilt?
(This post was last modified: 07-16-2013, 10:04 PM by Bridge.)
07-16-2013, 10:04 PM
Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

Now, now, let's not bite the heads off of each other just because he gets reputation by saying sorry.
That's the case in a nutshell isn't it?
We're humans. Of course we like it when something is melodramatic. I think it's the fact that he actually made up for his crime that makes us like him. Had he just said sorry, we'd probably be like, "Meh..."

Let's just be happy, shall we? Smile
And if that's impossible, a simple, "Ok", is fine to me.

Trying is the first step to success.
(This post was last modified: 07-16-2013, 10:19 PM by FlawlessHappiness.)
07-16-2013, 10:18 PM
Find
maarten12100 Offline

Threads: 0

Aren't there guidelines for Rep?
I mean over at OCN it must be based on help and not just some story besides that this guy is just someone who does what a lot of gamers do. (gamers with respect)
Pirate, play, like/dislike then according to that either buy it or let it be.
07-16-2013, 10:54 PM
Find
DavidS Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 4

Well, pirating isn`t very respectful towards the people who created the game, even moreso if it is Indy and not some bloated big publisher. It is nice to see people still having a conciousness towards entertainment products and that some of them are not a cig you bumed from a stranger. It also speaks of the quality of Amnesia, having an impact on the OPs mind and making him buy it. I forgot who said it (maybe Cliff Blezinski? could be Garriot or Newell...dunno`, but it fits the big boy) but "The answer to piracy is not in DRM, but in providing better products and service". Imho that is very true. Give people something of high and long lasting value and the piracy at least goes down a bit.

That said, I don`t think this thread is necessary... "self respect is the biggest respect someone can get" (Louie Simmons). No need to seek redemption from someone else here. It is also a bit meladramatic as others have said.

/////////////////////////////////////
07-17-2013, 12:36 AM
Website Find
Wooderson Offline
Posting Freak

Relevent.

[Image: luv.gif]
07-17-2013, 12:45 AM
Find
ReadingNotAllowed Offline

Threads: 6

(07-17-2013, 12:36 AM)DavidS Wrote: Well, pirating isn`t very respectful towards the people who created the game, even moreso if it is Indy and not some bloated big publisher. It is nice to see people still having a conciousness towards entertainment products and that some of them are not a cig you bumed from a stranger. It also speaks of the quality of Amnesia, having an impact on the OPs mind and making him buy it. I forgot who said it (maybe Cliff Blezinski? could be Garriot or Newell...dunno`, but it fits the big boy) but "The answer to piracy is not in DRM, but in providing better products and service". Imho that is very true. Give people something of high and long lasting value and the piracy at least goes down a bit.

That said, I don`t think this thread is necessary... "self respect is the biggest respect someone can get" (Louie Simmons). No need to seek redemption from someone else here. It is also a bit meladramatic as others have said.

I'm pretty sure Gabe Newell said that Smile

Better to have a story and end it, then to never realise it has begun...

- Red
07-17-2013, 12:57 AM
Find
Ashtoreth Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

Bridge, are you always that sour? Here, have a little bit of love: Heart (sorry, I ran out of Ash points!).

And please, let's not turn this thread into a discussion about reputation guidelines. If Bridge can receive +1 for saying "Get a room you two.", and if I can receive +1 for posting images of cute Nationalsozialistische ponies, then the OP deserves tons of rep.

Why did I give him +1? Well, for 3 reasons:

1. I believe that reputation should also be used to distinguish posts that show noble attitudes and good character. His post can also be motivational for other people in the same situation.

2. I can relate to what he said. I started playing Penumbra and Amnesia in my boyfriend's computer, and I was aware that his copies were pirated. When I finally managed to have a new computer that was able to run the games - and I still only have integrated motherboard graphics, but it's sufficient... -, I purchased both from Frictional Games store, at normal price (well, I got a discount on Amnesia for buying the 2 games at the same time). I felt so happy doing it!

3. I'm a soft-hearted person. Blush

____
Edit: typo

(This post was last modified: 07-17-2013, 01:11 AM by Ashtoreth.)
07-17-2013, 12:59 AM
Find
Macgyverthehero Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 23

We accept your apology for admitting thee crime and paying for thee. The shadow shall redraw it's wrath from thou soul.

[Image: Keo88b.gif]
07-17-2013, 04:47 AM
Find