Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Music Discussion thread
MyRedNeptune Offline

Threads: 3
RE: Music Discussion thread

(07-25-2013, 10:04 AM)Kman Wrote: why would you just stop exploring a genre all together after finding one band you like what the fuck that's like saying "welp i think ice cream is pretty tasty i guess it should be the only dessert i eat until i've had it so much it no longer tastes good and then after that pick another dessert and do the same thing"

i don't get it

I think it's easier to focus that way. I mean, I usually listen to one piece of music at a time, not several. Okay, maybe I rotate between three or so pieces. Tongue But not when I'm trying to become familiar with one, which sometimes takes a while.

I don't know how common this is, but I have a habit of listening to the same music until I feel like I've absolutely exhausted its artistic reserves (usually indicated by boredom from familiarity). I think my record was listening to one piece for 2 weeks. Haha. (it was amazing and I don't regret it) Big Grin

^(;,;)^
(This post was last modified: 07-25-2013, 04:26 PM by MyRedNeptune.)
07-25-2013, 04:21 PM
Find
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 176

For the past 2+ years I have been listening primarily (like 90% of the time) to the subset "Chopin" of the set "classical" and I have not gotten bored of it. I do try to listen to other subsets of this set but all that has done is remind me of how amazing my preferred set is in comparison.

Jes' saiyan.

[Image: p229xcq]
(This post was last modified: 07-25-2013, 05:56 PM by Froge.)
07-25-2013, 05:56 PM
Find
MyRedNeptune Offline

Threads: 3

Hah. That is extreme. Big Grin

^(;,;)^
07-25-2013, 06:55 PM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

i don't understand you people

i dunno what the fun in listening to music is if you get no variety. i mean that album by the brave little abacus has grown to be one of my favorite albums of all time in the last 2 months but even in that time i've only listened to it like 20 times cause i know if i listen to it any more often it's going to lose it's charm and not be as amazing to me anymore. even if it's the most well thought out piece of music ever in your mind that you're listening to after dozens and dozens of listens when you know every little detail of it i don't see how it can still be as appealing as the first ten times you listened to it or whatever.

that's why i only listen to my favorite albums like once or twice a month cause i know if i do it anymore then that they'll lose their magic, and so to stop that from happening i'll listen to some albums i really like or ones that i want to grow on me or i check out totally new bands in between listens

Posting Freak
07-25-2013, 11:53 PM
Website Find
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

(07-25-2013, 11:53 PM)Kman Wrote: i dunno what the fun in listening to music is if you get no variety.
Music is listened to primarily for providing pleasure. Call me narrow-minded, but I don't see how variety = pleasure.
(07-25-2013, 11:53 PM)Kman Wrote: that's why i only listen to my favorite albums like once or twice a month cause i know if i do it anymore then that they'll lose their magic, and so to stop that from happening i'll listen to some albums i really like or ones that i want to grow on me or i check out totally new bands in between listens
I can sympathize with that. I set myself a mandatory 2 week waiting period between listening to my favourite piece, the chopin concerto op. 11 in e minor. It's 40 minutes long so even after hearing the piece hundreds of times I still get a fresh experience each time because 40 minutes is long enough to cram lots of intricate little details into, especially in a genre as ornamental as romantic era music.

07-26-2013, 12:21 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

yea but the music can "provide pleasure" in so many different ways than just sounding melodic and well thought out that i dunno why you would wanna just stick with that. i mean that has it's time and place of course but if i'm pissed the fuck off at someone or something really angry music is going to click with me way more and provide way more enjoyment than say like some random indie pop band (that's the reason why i still consider converge's jane doe to be one of the best albums ever recorded). your mood and emotions don't stay the same your entire life so i don't see why the music you listen to should, because you're going to be able to connect with certain artists and genres much much more depending on your mood. that's why i like it so much more than any other art form i guess, it can provide you with a sense of catharsis.

Posting Freak
07-26-2013, 12:47 AM
Website Find
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

(07-26-2013, 12:47 AM)Kman Wrote: yea but the music can "provide pleasure" in so many different ways than just sounding melodic and well thought out that i dunno why you would wanna just stick with that. i mean that has it's time and place of course but if i'm pissed the fuck off at someone or something really angry music is going to click with me way more
Don't know about you, but for me a good melody can express any range of emotions imaginable.

Pissed the fuck off:

Mellow and heartwarmed:

Intensely depressed:

Energetic and upbeat:

I would post moar but lol4videolimitperpost

07-26-2013, 02:13 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

obv pretty much any genre can accomplish most emotions (especially classical since it's a pretty broad genre) but my point was that a lot of genres are going to portray those emotions way way better than any other genre ever could in my mind. even with that said, with a lot of darker emotions like depression, anger, fear, etc. dissonance works way better to portray the emotion than melody could, because they are much more chaotic and horrible feeling emotions so it fits better a lot of the time

i'd like to hear something that's melodic that's capable of capturing the general feeling of anger this well (still top 5 albums ever btw)

not really dissonant but i don't think i've heard any classical piece that's captured depression and lonliness this well

same thing but with fear and anxiety on this (this guy is a god at making dark ambient omfg)

Posting Freak
07-26-2013, 04:52 AM
Website Find
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

1st video: To be honest, the song felt almost upbeat until the screaming came in. The vocals sound pretty pissed off to me, but they don't portray anger in its pure force as I imagine the emotion. Maybe our definitions of anger are different. To me, the epitome of "anger" isn't throat-crushing rage but rather a subtle, seething sort of venom that takes control of all your desires and directs them towards the source of the hatred. In that song, the screaming feels more so a product of a need to release pent-up energy, but the energy is neither good nor bad. It's just energy, indistinguishable between rage or a burst of excitement.

Edit: To give an example, here is what I'd consider my defining music for anger:

It might seem strange to you, but any time I hear a very loud and furious beat accompanied by screaming vocals I feel it's just a form of self-expression, a destructive release. And destruction does not at all have to stem from anger.

2nd video: Not bad. Sounds like some of the songs from Silent Hill 3. I wouldn't really say it's depression, though. More so just loneliness. For me, "depressing" music has to be slow and deeply crushing, to really convey the feeling of sinking into a pit from which there is no escape nor hope.

3rd video: It portrays anxiety well. I've never felt need to immerse myself in this emotion, though, not even after listening to all the Silent Hill soundtracks and Amnesia's. Maybe it's because my OCD tendencies already give me enough anxiety IRL.

(This post was last modified: 07-26-2013, 06:03 AM by Froge.)
07-26-2013, 05:54 AM
Find
Nice Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 37

/discuss

Sorry but we cannot change your avatar as the new avatar you specified is too big. The maximum dimensions are 80x80 (width x height)
07-26-2013, 10:45 AM
Find