Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Games in which you felt more immersed than in Amnesia
ReadingNotAllowed Offline

Threads: 6
RE: Games in which you felt more immersed than in Amnesia

I used to play Metal Arms: Glitch In The System(Anyone know that game?) back in the day. That game was probably one of the most immersive games I have ever played. Big Grin

Better to have a story and end it, then to never realise it has begun...

- Red
08-08-2013, 04:19 PM
Find
Plazmater Offline

Threads: 24

For me , more immersive than amnesia was penumbra series, from those series was Overture what was immersive for me , och god those spider caves D:
08-08-2013, 04:46 PM
Find
LHudson Offline

Threads: 9

Spec Ops: The Line, fully immersed and it messed up my head in a good way.

As for The Last of Us....I didn't like it. *braces himself*

[Image: sigpic401029_1.gif]
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2013, 04:53 PM by LHudson.)
08-08-2013, 04:53 PM
Find
Nyarlathotep Offline

Threads: 2

Hard for me to really judge a game now on which was more immersive. I definitely take Amnesia over Penumbra though. While I love Penumbra.. The level of polish Amnesia has over it helped keep me from having unwanted hiccups mid-game.

System Shock 2 and Scratches would be next up for me. Scratches is a point and click puzzler with node-based movement, and full 3d rotation. But the game's world is just so well designed. Beautiful art and music, too.

Oh, and Dear Esther. While there's not much interaction, the level of detail in the game still surprises me. It's especially engaging with the oculus rift on.
08-08-2013, 06:03 PM
Find
Macgyverthehero Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 23

I think Minecraft was more immersive to me when it was before beta 1.8.1, I loved to survive in it and expand my cave house I built in a wall in survival mode, but after the hunger meter was added I spent less time in survival and I switched to playing mostly in creative mode.

[Image: Keo88b.gif]
08-08-2013, 07:44 PM
Find
HarshlyCritical Offline

Threads: 2

(08-08-2013, 04:53 PM)LHudson Wrote: As for The Last of Us....I didn't like it. *braces himself*

It's helpful if you give an explanation for your opinion instead of just throwing it out there and running away.
08-08-2013, 08:42 PM
Find
maarten12100 Offline

Threads: 0

(08-08-2013, 06:38 AM)Deep One Wrote:
(08-07-2013, 11:57 PM)maarten12100 Wrote: It is hard not to feel immersed with 39 inch of 4K UHD real estate but....

I wonder how many times we have heard this
2/3 times top Huh
08-08-2013, 10:37 PM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246

(08-08-2013, 03:56 PM)MyRedNeptune Wrote: You didn't understand my point. What I was trying to get across is that it was likely your mindset, and not any serious objective flaws, that largely compromised your enjoyment of Amnesia.

There is a reason for me to make such a bold assumption. I find it ironic how you say that "You never should think it's a game" and then proceed to evaluate Amnesia in gamey terms like physics and difficulty. I'm in no way trying to say that these issues don't exist, but in order for them to hurt immersion, you have to actually notice them in the first place. Also, I'm just going to point out that most of the issues you mentioned are your personal opinion/preference, while the rest can be met with similarly objective flaws in Penumbra.

Judging by how critical, dismissive and finicky you are when talking about Amnesia as compared to Penumbra, I get the impression that your approach to Amnesia was different from your approach to Penumbra. Which means that you can't objectively compare the two.

Well, it's only my personal opinion. This thread is about personal opinions.

(08-08-2013, 03:56 PM)MyRedNeptune Wrote: That, or you just have a taste for very specific things. Nothing wrong with that, but no need to preach it like it's fact.

Yes, I have a taste for very specific things.
But you can call some things as "facts" when knowing about gamedesign and principles about quality. When facts wouldn't exist, everyone could say that a primitive superhero-horror-game where you kill zombies with a chainsaw would be better than Amnesia.

It's not all about personal opinions. Quality and art like high-level gamedesign has principles.
08-09-2013, 12:25 PM
Find
MyRedNeptune Offline

Threads: 3

(08-09-2013, 12:25 PM)Googolplex Wrote: Well, it's only my personal opinion. This thread is about personal opinions.

I know, I was mostly commenting on your general attitude, anyway. Tongue

^(;,;)^
08-09-2013, 12:44 PM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

I was incredibly immersed in Doom 3 back when it first came out. I was little, maybe 10-12 years old and I used to watch my brother play in a dark room and my goodness, I was scared as hell. But it was a fun scared. =P

When it comes to stories, I was quite immersed in the Walking Dead games. Really good sequences and storytelling. Not an incredible amount of gameplay, but the action sequences made up for it. Some things I was not expecting and actually gasped, like
Spoiler below!
when you had to cut off the one leader's leg from the trap.

Amnesia was really up there in immersion though. I think I got stressed from fear and had to quit like, 3 times total. It was pretty intense fun.
08-09-2013, 07:45 PM
Find