Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Penumbra series, underrated and overlooked ?
zoroztheg4mer Offline

Threads: 2
Penumbra series, underrated and overlooked ?

To me it seems like Penumbra is terribly overlooked and underrated, who would agree with this, and please tell me why you think this is.

"Red" will live on in all of us ..
11-12-2009, 11:26 PM
Find
ajvitaly Offline

Threads: 12
RE: Penumbra series, underrated and overlooked ?

(11-12-2009, 11:26 PM)zoroztheg4mer Wrote: To me it seems like Penumbra is terribly overlooked and underrated, who would agree with this, and please tell me why you think this is.

It wasn't published or marketed by a major firm like Activision or Electronic Arts. In fact, I hadn't heard of it until Black Plague came out, and it was only on a small comment on a website about a patch being released. If it wasn't for a demo, I would have never looked into it and bought it.
11-12-2009, 11:35 PM
Find
zoroztheg4mer Offline

(11-12-2009, 11:35 PM)ajvitaly Wrote:
(11-12-2009, 11:26 PM)zoroztheg4mer Wrote: To me it seems like Penumbra is terribly overlooked and underrated, who would agree with this, and please tell me why you think this is.

It wasn't published or marketed by a major firm like Activision or Electronic Arts. In fact, I hadn't heard of it until Black Plague came out, and it was only on a small comment on a website about a patch being released. If it wasn't for a demo, I would have never looked into it and bought it.

Would you agree on it being underrated ?

11-12-2009, 11:45 PM
Find
ajvitaly Offline

Threads: 12

(11-12-2009, 11:45 PM)zoroztheg4mer Wrote: Would you agree on it being underrated ?

Absolutely I thought all three games were fantastic and was surprised/annoyed at the mediocre reviews given by the press.
11-13-2009, 02:28 AM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100

When Penumbra collection was on Steam for 5$, (or how much it was) these forums started to fill up with new players, but now they're pretty much dead again.

And the games were absolutely awesome!
I hope Amnesia won't let us down! Wink:

11-13-2009, 11:14 AM
Website Find
PhyOS Offline

Threads: 0

I totally agree. Such a great game has been overlooked, and there's a lot of people who don't know it yet. I got to know it thanks to it being sold on Steam, either way I probably wouldn't have bought it. Now I have the Collector's pack and I'm really happy with it.

I think the main reason why this game has been overlooked, apart from not being known by many, is because it's of the Adventure genre. Nowadays, it's one of the less "used" genres, and well. Not everyone likes it (though it's my favourite genre).

And by the way, Amnesia looks great!
11-13-2009, 02:22 PM
Find
Kedjane Offline

Threads: 13

I think Penumbra have gotten much of the attention it deserves. It's not groundbreaking really and in Sweden there was plenty of talking about the game around the release and most people around (swedish) forums know what the game is though I don't know how many have played/finished it.
The forum have gotten a lot of new members during the sales as well. There hasn't been a lot of noise about the Requiem and Collection release though, if any.
Right now I don't think it's overlooked at all since it's a while old and there hasn't been any significant news since Black Plague. When they release their next one it should get plenty of attention provided it's good though.

Worst regards, Kejdane.
205 characters remaining.
11-13-2009, 04:11 PM
Find
zoroztheg4mer Offline

(11-13-2009, 04:11 PM)Kedjane Wrote: I think Penumbra have gotten much of the attention it deserves. It's not groundbreaking really and in Sweden there was plenty of talking about the game around the release and most people around (swedish) forums know what the game is though I don't know how many have played/finished it.
The forum have gotten a lot of new members during the sales as well. There hasn't been a lot of noise about the Requiem and Collection release though, if any.
Right now I don't think it's overlooked at all since it's a while old and there hasn't been any significant news since Black Plague. When they release their next one it should get plenty of attention provided it's good though.

I still think it pretty underrated by the press. I've seen it's mediocre 7.5 in total from game-review sites and such, and i think it should have quite a bit more attention for the great game that it is. Hopefully alot of people have realized what a great game it is and more people will look into Amnesia ! =)

11-13-2009, 04:16 PM
Find
FreeBooteR Offline

Threads: 1

The series is way underrated. This has to do with gaming review sites not getting any money grease. That's how it works imo. This is why indie publishers have a hard time.
12-13-2009, 02:10 AM
Find
Nothinglikesleep Offline

Threads: 1

Agreed^ If Penumbra really got the attention it deserved then games like dead space, Alone in the dark, shattered memories, shouldn't have been given much more than a glance. Penumbra puts 90 percent of the titles in the survival horror genre to shame. It's very low key, I have yet to meet someone in person who has heard of these games and i like that, but at the same time you know these guys deserve a lot more credit.

iGame
03-26-2010, 02:10 AM
Find