Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 1 Average
AAMFP really scarier than The Dark Descent?
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70
RE: AAMFP really scarier than The Dark Descent?

Although comparisons are inevitable, I'd much prefer to try, and judge AMFP as its own thing, and not keep drawing lines back to TDD constantly trying to see if it lives up. It may be so different that such comparisons no longer hold any value.

In any case...we'll see when it comes out.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
08-28-2013, 07:58 AM
Find
BrokenFiend Offline

Threads: 1

Just going from this first post, not reading anything else:

Outlast is not that scary. From what I've seen in the first few minutes from the demo, it could be summed up with "Kid is running from Bane, who's sick of breaking Batmans back".

Amnesia already has been crowned as the scariest game of all time by so many people, the second one surely wont disappoint.
08-29-2013, 07:43 AM
Find
maarten12100 Offline

Threads: 0

(08-29-2013, 07:43 AM)BrokenFiend Wrote: Just going from this first post, not reading anything else:

Outlast is not that scary. From what I've seen in the first few minutes from the demo, it could be summed up with "Kid is running from Bane, who's sick of breaking Batmans back".

Amnesia already has been crowned as the scariest game of all time by so many people, the second one surely wont disappoint.
Outlast = new Erie
Which is the most ADHD glitchy game ever made (you could run and spray at insane speeds)

But I hate to dissapoint you on that second statement quite frankly I disagree.
I think Penumbra BP was scarier than Amnesia TDD
08-29-2013, 08:11 AM
Find
BrokenFiend Offline

Threads: 1

(08-29-2013, 08:11 AM)maarten12100 Wrote:
(08-29-2013, 07:43 AM)BrokenFiend Wrote: Just going from this first post, not reading anything else:

Outlast = new Erie

Which is the most ADHD glitchy game ever made (you could run and spray at insane speeds)

But I hate to dissapoint you on that second statement quite frankly I disagree.

I think Penumbra BP was scarier than Amnesia TDD
I never played it, only watched a couple of Let's Plays, and honestly, I don't like it as much. I think there is too much of the voice in the head, that bugged me. The enemies looked strange and goofy, but not frightening (though the grunts.. eh.) and overall the plot was just strange to me.
08-29-2013, 09:23 AM
Find
maarten12100 Offline

(08-29-2013, 09:23 AM)BrokenFiend Wrote: I never played it, only watched a couple of Let's Plays, and honestly, I don't like it as much. I think there is too much of the voice in the head, that bugged me. The enemies looked strange and goofy, but not frightening (though the grunts.. eh.) and overall the plot was just strange to me.
I think the extraterrestrial things happening in BP are less strange than what goes on in Daniel's wrecked mind.

It is quite nice that it has both a story line and interaction with people for as far as you can call it that.
Though I do agree the enemies in Overture were really not that scary (besides early game the first time you hear Red over the radio and you see and hear the red eyes and growling)
The rock worm was quite poor in both Overture and BP (no offence Rock Worm)
(This post was last modified: 08-29-2013, 09:42 AM by maarten12100.)
08-29-2013, 09:40 AM
Find
Awaclus Offline

(08-29-2013, 09:23 AM)BrokenFiend Wrote: I never played it, only watched a couple of Let's Plays, and honestly, I don't like it as much. I think there is too much of the voice in the head, that bugged me. The enemies looked strange and goofy, but not frightening (though the grunts.. eh.) and overall the plot was just strange to me.
You have to play it (obviously starting with Overture). In Amnesia, it's enough if you just hide whenever there's a monster, but in Penumbra, the monsters don't disappear and actually having to leave your hiding place when you know that the monster is still around is a HUGE thing which loses a lot of power when you see someone else do that instead of doing it yourself.
09-06-2013, 09:54 AM
Find
Alex Ros Offline

Threads: 46

As long as AMFP was made mostly by Chinese Room and approved by Frictional I presume AMFP could be truly a lot more frightening. At least frightening in a very different way. I think, I presume AMFP storyline and scares will be a lot more chained together. The story and characters will be deeper and deeper will be connection in between game protagonist and a player. As a result immersion level will be a lot higher. Finally, with drastically increased immersion level the whole walkthrough will be a lot scarier. It would be harder to calm yourself down by thinking: "It's just a game. It's not real." Well, that's only my presumptions, but... hmm... But as long as Chinese Room already minimized standard game attributes I presume they've been focused on increasing not the scares mechanics but on increasing immersion level. There's no inventory, no need to collect things in order to combine them in the inventory, no need to think about lantern refueling, no need to think about sanity and of how long you may stay in the darkness, etc. Those changes are surely an attempt to minimize a sense of playing a game and contrary increase a sense you're living, experiencing something real. The less there will be left from the usual gaming the more everything is perceived as a real personal life experience. Anyway, once again, that's only my presumptions.
(This post was last modified: 09-07-2013, 01:49 PM by Alex Ros.)
09-07-2013, 01:33 PM
Website Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

To be honest what I find the most interesting about AAMFP is that it seems it's going to be a lot more story focused then TDD. I have played way too many good/ok custom stories/FC that could do horror but having the story either be a confusing mess or a simple excuse for the horror. I find that not having proper story elements to motivate me makes the game more boring or more like torture, So I would not mind if AAMFP is a little less scary than TDD if story is top notch.
(This post was last modified: 09-07-2013, 01:45 PM by WALP.)
09-07-2013, 01:44 PM
Find
Scarypigthing Offline

(09-07-2013, 01:44 PM)The Mug Wrote: So I would not mind if AAMFP is a little less scary than TDD if story is top notch.

My thoughts exactly. There seems to be a real push to tell a cohesive story, and everything we've seen in that department looks top notch. If it doesn't reach the levels of terror that TDD managed (which I have a feeling it won't), it may surpass it in pure quality of presentation.
(This post was last modified: 09-07-2013, 04:30 PM by Scarypigthing.)
09-07-2013, 04:30 PM
Find
The Raining Brains Offline

No. No. NO. Just no. Absolutely fucking no.
09-07-2013, 10:42 PM
Find