Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: Would you like to see this happen?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, please!
64.71%
11 64.71%
No, thanks!
35.29%
6 35.29%
Total 17 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Amnesia Series
sarcinelli Offline

Threads: 4
Information  Amnesia Series

Just read the Kotaku Review and saw this:

Quote:"I'm enamored of this approach, of handing a series from developer to developer to see what new ideas they can wring from it. It would never work with big-budget, AAA games, but for small, well-directed indie teams, it's a fascinating proposition. What would a Mojang Amnesia game look like? How about if Stanley Parable-maker Davey Wreden got to make one? Or Lone Survivor's Jasper Byrne, or Gone Home's Fullbright Company? With this template, a series like Amnesia could become less a continuous franchise and more of a philosophy, batted about and re-interpreted by the creators of our age."

What a wonderful idea, please Frictional, make it happen!
Turn this in a continued series and rotate the devs.

What do you guys think?
09-10-2013, 05:15 AM
Find
Cuyir Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Amnesia Series

Personally I loved the fact that TCR developed A:AMFP BUUUUUUUUUT I don't know if I'd trust anyone else on any other franchise to do this. I'd be hesitant about other games being handed off to another studio (which is already done). Would depend HEAVILY on what the game is and who would be developing it.

Plus I think they should stop with Amnesia now. Just let it go. Don't run the setting and brand into the ground. Two games in the same universe is enough. Don't want them to keep churning out ''Amnesias'' just so some people whose first FG game they played was Amnesia keep buying them.

Don't let it become a brand to be milked please.
09-10-2013, 05:21 AM
Find
sarcinelli Offline

Threads: 4

I don't see this as "milking", it's more like a collection of "short stories" all set around a common theme/atmosphere where each developer would get the chance to throw its own spin on the mix.
(This post was last modified: 09-10-2013, 05:28 AM by sarcinelli.)
09-10-2013, 05:25 AM
Find
Cuyir Offline

Look at what happened with the Slender Man fad.

All of those could be considered a ''collection of short stories'' but people have run it into the ground.
I don't want it to turn into a little fad that's then run into the ground. So hopefully FG knows what it's doing.

As for the idea in that quote, which I have to reiterate has happened before, the more I think of it the more awesome examples of it being incredible come to mind (a TES developed and written by Obsidian, ie people who can write and are great with rpgs? Yes please!) but still. It relies heavily on the game and developer. So I can't vote for yes or no, just a ''depends.''
(This post was last modified: 09-10-2013, 05:32 AM by Cuyir.)
09-10-2013, 05:31 AM
Find
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 176

I would dearly like Frictional to give the rights of Amnesia to the very prestigious Chronofrog ™ company next. Chronofrog ™ is an indie team which has many great ideas for the direction that Amnesia and horror games should be heading. In particular, they have done a rigorous scientific analysis of the best classic horror games such as Silent Hill 1-3 as well as the original Amnesia and have come up with an innovative formula for making scary games that provides just the perfect balance of subtlety, ambiance, and story depth. Chronofrog ™ also has a very good idea for the story and gameplay mechanics of that next Amnesia game. In particular, the company wants to focus on an amnesiac girl with green hair who has scary magical powers, a mysterious past, and the villain is a godly powerful clown (clowns are scary, right?). They've also decided to employ JRPG battle mechanics (yes, there will be combat. That's what made Silent Hill so frightening).

[Image: p229xcq]
(This post was last modified: 09-10-2013, 05:50 AM by Froge.)
09-10-2013, 05:33 AM
Find
Cuyir Offline

@chronofrog:

At first I was all ''uhhhhh....what?"

Then I keeled over in laughter.
09-10-2013, 05:37 AM
Find
felixmole Offline

Threads: 7

By the way, it would be Chronofrog ™ or Chronofrog ®, the © having no meaning for trademarks Tongue

(09-10-2013, 05:15 AM)sarcinelli Wrote: Just read the Kotaku Review and saw this:

Quote:"I'm enamored of this approach, of handing a series from developer to developer to see what new ideas they can wring from it. It would never work with big-budget, AAA games, but for small, well-directed indie teams, it's a fascinating proposition. What would a Mojang Amnesia game look like? How about if Stanley Parable-maker Davey Wreden got to make one? Or Lone Survivor's Jasper Byrne, or Gone Home's Fullbright Company? With this template, a series like Amnesia could become less a continuous franchise and more of a philosophy, batted about and re-interpreted by the creators of our age."

What a wonderful idea, please Frictional, make it happen!
Turn this in a continued series and rotate the devs.

What do you guys think?

I agree that a second game is more than enough. We'll see what the next FG project has to offer (it seems great from the very little information we have).
09-10-2013, 05:43 AM
Find