Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 2.25 Average
Opinions on how TCR & FG are dealing with AAMFP criticism
Draug Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 5
RE: What Is Frictional Games Feelings Towards All The Criticism For AMFP??

(09-12-2013, 07:26 PM)pagan Wrote:
(09-12-2013, 06:49 PM)pinkribbonscars Wrote: What's the issue over not being able to grab random objects in the enviroment?
It decreases the feeling of presence, that you're really there. In ATTD there were so many things to do, even when nothing happened, in pigs, in 95% of the playtime, you can do nothing but walking and reading notes. Scavenging stuff and interacting with objects (and proper puzzles) may not be essential for the story itself, but they did exploration meaningful and they did the gameplay much more involving.

Mhh I don't really get it. What do you mean with "so many things to do"? You can stack objects, throw objects and... yeah. There is no really purpose for this. Does this really make such a huge difference for so many players? I can understand your argument, that you feel more involved into the game though I can't say that this apply to me.
09-12-2013, 07:32 PM
Find
Ahiam94 Offline

Threads: 2

I, personally, loved the game for what it was, especially the story, I loved the story. So dark and gruesome. I just hated the fact that it took forever to release and it was less than half the size of The Dark Descent. I mean, they pushed it off for almost a whole year, so how long was the game when they decided to delay it last October? Yeah, I was a little disappointed with the whole no inventory thing, but after reading Ossie's post, I think differently. I just really hope they release an expansion or something to make the game longer. That, or they hurry up and give us a way to make Custom Stories with the game.

I want a Flugelhorn!
09-12-2013, 07:36 PM
Find
Kurton Offline

Threads: 8

The fact that only puzzle related objects could be physically interacted with made every instance of these objects a dead giveaway. Only a short ways through I found myself thinking, "Well, here's something I can pick up. I know what that means."

(This post was last modified: 09-12-2013, 10:25 PM by Kurton.)
09-12-2013, 07:37 PM
Find
bluel0bster Offline

Threads: 11

(09-12-2013, 07:26 PM)pagan Wrote: It decreases the feeling of presence, that you're really there. In ATTD there were so many things to do, even when nothing happened, in pigs, in 95% of the playtime, you can do nothing but walking and reading notes. Scavenging stuff and interacting with objects (and proper puzzles) may not be essential for the story itself, but they made exploration meaningful and they made the gameplay much more involving.

The devs explained that if we could interact with objects as much as we could in TDD, it would drastically reduce performance.

You can actually interact with more items than it appears, it just so happens that "pigs" has way more objects in it than TDD, which results in the illusion that there's considerably less to interact with. It's a perspective thing.
09-12-2013, 07:37 PM
Find
pagan Offline

Threads: 0

(09-12-2013, 07:32 PM)droog Wrote:
(09-12-2013, 06:49 PM)pinkribbonscars Wrote: What's the issue over not being able to grab random objects in the enviroment?
It decreases the feeling of presence, that you're really there. In ATTD there were so many things to do, even when nothing happened, in pigs, in 95% of the playtime, you can do nothing but walking and reading notes. Scavenging stuff and interacting with objects (and proper puzzles) may not be essential for the story itself, but they did exploration meaningful and they did the gameplay much more involving.

Mhh I don't really get it. What do you mean with "so many things to do"? You can stack objects, throw objects and... yeah. There is no really purpose for this. Does this really make such a huge difference for so many players? I can understand your argument, that you feel more involved into the game though I can't say that this apply to me.

Well it made me feel much more immersed, it made me feel i'm really there. In pigs i felt i'm just an observer thru Mandus' eyes, as i couldn't really interact with the game's world. I just followed Mandus thru an empty world.
09-12-2013, 07:52 PM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

(09-12-2013, 07:36 PM)Ahiam94 Wrote: I just hated the fact that it took forever to release and it was less than half the size of The Dark Descent.

I was okay with that until I learned that there were supposed to be different endings. I mean, they decided to took a year to "make something bigger" as they said, but in the end they cut off whole 2 endings? Really? What was the point?

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
09-12-2013, 07:53 PM
Find
Toothbrush Offline

Threads: 1

I'm also curious how TCR is dealing with some of the sheer insulting reviews i've read about both Dear Esther and AAMFP.
Some of the reviews readed upon this forum saddened me ; people should realise the effort and love of both FG and TCR put into their games!
How can some hate(#) something that's obviously made with a lot of love
(( I like to exaggerate, not saying all bad reviews are written by haters !! The use of the word "hate" in the remark above was merely to make a nice match/contrast with the word "love" ))

*shakes heavily clenched fists at the finally darkened skies , while growling with blanc rolled eyes and foam dripping from his lips towards the herd of whiners while suddenly recalling a very fitting quote : ...........

"Opinions are like assholes,everyone has one and they all stink!"
Wink
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2013, 08:19 PM by Toothbrush.)
09-12-2013, 08:17 PM
Find
Draug Offline
Posting Freak

(09-12-2013, 07:52 PM)pagan Wrote:
(09-12-2013, 07:32 PM)droog Wrote:

Well it made me feel much more immersed, it made me feel i'm really there. In pigs i felt i'm just an observer thru Mandus' eyes, as i couldn't really interact with the game's world. I just followed Mandus thru an empty world.

I see, thank you for the explanation of your opinion.
09-12-2013, 08:26 PM
Find
Alex Ros Offline

Threads: 46

As long as I am myself a movie editor in the past and scriptwriter right now for 5 years already I can easily imagine, that the situation with a Machine of Pigs is ABSOLUTELY SATISFYING both for Frictional and Chinese Room. When my own works were and are causing just right now both positive and negative reactions I realize that I did make something unexpected and innovative. More than a pleasant feelings for an author I might say with my own personal life and working experience.
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2013, 08:57 PM by Alex Ros.)
09-12-2013, 08:55 PM
Website Find
Argoon Offline

(09-12-2013, 05:38 PM)pinkribbonscars Wrote: I think alot of people are basing their reviews on scare factor, instead of horror factor. Alot of them didn't even understand the story lol

I'm starting to believe this was what made me not like AMFP so much compared to ATDD, not being a native english speaker i had a hard time relating my self to the story or even comprehend all the story aspects. This was not a problem on ATDD because i add much more to worry about then to understand totally the story or have any feelings about it, but the extreme focus of AMFP on the story in detriment of the scary gameplay was a huge problem for me.

But even i can't comprehend why i have this feeling about this game, i have Dear Esther and i loved it, i almost cried when i saw the caverns for the first time, and i think is a master peace. But perhaps because of the connection of AMFP to ATDD i just can't let comparing the two.
09-12-2013, 09:10 PM
Find