Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 21 Vote(s) - 4.62 Average
Stuttering, Small freezes and framerate Issues
spidernetlabs Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 10 Years, 2 Months ago RE: Stuttering, Small freezes and framerate Issues

Just an update:
I got some big stutters in the
Spoiler below!

piston room.

09-12-2013, 07:24 PM
Website Find
Jazz Offline

Threads: 0
Solved: 10 Years, 2 Months ago RE: Stuttering, Small freezes and framerate Issues

(09-12-2013, 05:06 PM)jens Wrote: Alright, thanks! Yes, would be nice if someone else also can test.

I'll go over and also change some sounds that currently streams to be loaded to memory instead, because else I think there will be quite often situations where not all sounds get to play. Basically music, voices and base ambient sound is streaming, so will change so that only music and voices stream. Then 4 stream buffers should be enough.

Tested 'aamfp_stutter.exe' and made a new profile. It looks like it has improved a little, but I still experience significant FPS drops in certain areas like, for example, the main hall and the dining room in the mansion... Again: changing/lowering any settings does not seem to work. Performance is exactly the same everytime.

Kind regards,
Jazz
09-12-2013, 07:27 PM
Find
alus992 Offline

"Latest aamfp_stutter.exe[/u], lowered main_settings.cfg (32, 4, 131072), original SDL2.dll, new profile, new game: Much better! No more reproducable stutters! Smile"

After this step number of stutters reduced, but still not perfect. Thx for advices, tests etcSmile
09-12-2013, 07:36 PM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199

New test:
http://thedarkswarm.com/downloads/public...utter3.zip

Went over and fixed all sounds, so it should not be any risk of sounds not playing when using the tweaked main_settings.cfg.

How to test:
- Download file and unzip it. Then copy/move the contents of the folder into the game directory. If you do this correct Windows will prompt you to overwrite and merge files and folders. Do this (but warning that you will destory your regular install and will have to redownload if you want it back later.). You can find the location of the game folder in Steam by right-clicking on the game, properties, last tab and click browse local game files.

- You now have to delete the file My Documents/Amnesia/Pig/main_settings.cfg. The game will create a new one with the new settings.

- Launch the game using the launcher, use the settings as detected and do not tweak them. That is use low, medium or high as suitable for your setup.

- Start a new game and see how it works. If you have stutter, try running the game without vsync (make sure it is not forced in control panel for graphics card) and see if that makes a difference.

When reporting back, please include your system specification with:
OS, Graphics Card, CPU & RAM. Also say what settings you used in the launcher (low, medium or high).
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2013, 09:15 PM by jens.)
09-12-2013, 09:13 PM
Website Find
Damascus Rose Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

When I downloaded the 2nd aamfp stutter zip I found that my mouse settings were changed and no matter how I changed it the mouse was the same speed on the menus, but in game it changes. This is also with the newest test. What's up with that?

[Image: damascusrose2.png]
09-12-2013, 09:29 PM
Find
iral Offline

No stutter at all!

But in the first room I visited my character fall trough the floor Smile

Then he was flying in clouds Smile

I will retest tomorrow if it happens again.

I'm on the GOG version.
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2013, 09:34 PM by iral.)
09-12-2013, 09:34 PM
Find
alus992 Offline

(09-12-2013, 09:13 PM)jens Wrote: New test:

Went over and fixed all sounds, so it should not be any risk of sounds not playing when using the tweaked main_settings.cfg.

How to test:
- Download file and unzip it. Then copy/move the contents of the folder into the game directory. If you do this correct Windows will prompt you to overwrite and merge files and folders. Do this (but warning that you will destory your regular install and will have to redownload if you want it back later.). You can find the location of the game folder in Steam by right-clicking on the game, properties, last tab and click browse local game files.

- You now have to delete the file My Documents/Amnesia/Pig/main_settings.cfg. The game will create a new one with the new settings.

- Launch the game using the launcher, use the settings as detected and do not tweak them. That is use low, medium or high as suitable for your setup.

- Start a new game and see how it works. If you have stutter, try running the game without vsync (make sure it is not forced in control panel for graphics card) and see if that makes a difference.

OS, Graphics Card, CPU & RAM. Also say what settings you used in the launcher (low, medium or high).

Without any modifications after this update/fix...SMOOTH AS F***. Launcher detected settings as low, but after couple of minutes I will try change for higher.

Thanks, much love for y'all Heart

i3 2,13 GHz
1GB RAM
64Bit Win7
1GB GT 330M Nvidia
09-12-2013, 09:40 PM
Find
Mr. Plankton Offline

Hey Jens, what did you tweak in those files? I have the exact same issue with TDD and wanted to try to fix it myself.
09-12-2013, 09:46 PM
Find
CalinTM Offline

Threads: 6

(09-12-2013, 09:13 PM)jens Wrote: New test:

How to test:

So after i replace those files i can start the game from the launcher ? And why we aren't allowed to mess with the settings in the launcher ? Also now i can delete the aamfp_stutter.exe ? Also do i need to tweak the main_settings audio again ?
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2013, 09:55 PM by CalinTM.)
09-12-2013, 09:52 PM
Find
rattlehead Offline

ok with the new update there is almost no stuttering, just a little i the part before the piano.
But in some areas there is a massive fps hit like 60 to 40 maybe.
And i have a system that should run this game at always 60 fps.
But overall is a good improvement.

Settings - high
GPU: HD 7950 3Gb
CPU: i5 3570k
RAM: 8 Gb
note - nothing is overclocked.
09-12-2013, 10:04 PM
Find