Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: Improve the game?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Hell yeah!
20.83%
20 20.83%
Nah lets forget about the game..
29.17%
28 29.17%
No, it's fine the way it is! (added by pluto)
50.00%
48 50.00%
Total 96 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 52 Vote(s) - 2.46 Average
Disappointed with AAMFP
Khelim Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Amnesia: AMFP is underwhelming (minor spoilers)

(09-13-2013, 11:15 PM)bluel0bster Wrote:
(09-13-2013, 11:05 PM)padawan Wrote: (http://jacobalbano.com/2013/09/disappoin...-for-pigs/).

Your link is dead.

Try removing "/)" in the end. It's 2013 but browsers (and some people) didn't learn to parse links properly.

(09-13-2013, 11:05 PM)padawan Wrote: If they had only been shown in their holding-cells I might have felt some genuine pity, but now if just felt fake.
They were.

Maybe "only" isn't in best position in that sentence but I assume he meant "not shown anywhere else besides holding-cells".

(09-13-2013, 11:05 PM)padawan Wrote: That is exactly not what I do in real life: walking around with stretched arms with some item in it, because I know I will need it in the next room.
And the realistic, real-world alternative is stuffing everything pick-up-able into your pockets as you walk around because you might possibly need it? Inventory in TDD isn't realistic. AAMFP is.

Actually yes, carrying random things in pockets is feasible. Carrying them as flag - hardly.

(09-13-2013, 11:05 PM)padawan Wrote: I don't get why FG failed so spectacular with this game.
FG didn't make the game.

Can't they fail with the game they publish? I mean letting weak product released under your IP is quite a fail.

(09-14-2013, 12:54 AM)Nuits Grace Wrote:
(09-14-2013, 12:15 AM)Dune Jumper Wrote: People hate AAMFP because it isn't an Amnesia game. The only thing remotely close to TDD is some of the textures & props. If it was standalone it probably would've gotten higher reviews. But they had to slap Amnesia's name onto it.

Dear Esther is a perfect example of this. If they called Dear Esther a Half-Life game there would've been a riot. But they didn't, so it got high reviews. (Although I don't think Dear Esther deserves the awards it got).

That didn't make any sense.

AMFP has an ''Amnesia"in front of "A Machine For Pigs" because it is SET in the same universe as TDD.

While Dear Esther used the ENGINE of Half Life.

Not the same things. At all. In any dimension or plane of existence.

Perfectly made sense to me. Let's say Tomb Raider series, 3d puzzple-platformer about dashing adventurer Lara Croft. People expect core gameplay kept intact in each game of series. Then there's Lara Croft and Guardian of Light. Same protagonist, different type of gameplay (isometric scrolling platformer) - no problem here cause "it's not Tomb Raider". And then there's Tomb Raider (2013 reboot). It got a lot of flak for altering core gameplay even tho "same universe". If you use same IP to lure fans - you'd better keep things that fans liked in previous games or get ready for shitstorm. AMFP is not what TDD fans (I know it's bad to assume about other people but I strongly feel that way) expected in most parts.
09-14-2013, 10:09 AM
Find
Alardem Offline

Threads: 17
RE: Not a sequel to TDD (no spoilers)

Pretentious = 2deep4u. Am I right?

I love how BETRAYED and ENTITLED all the haters seem to feel. The game exists. There was no obligation to even make a sequel to Amnesia anyway - why get angry when it doesn't live up to your expectations?

Spoiler below!
At least it doesn't completely bastardize the series beyond all redemption, like a certain few series I know...
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2013, 11:10 AM by Alardem.)
09-14-2013, 11:08 AM
Find
Tesseract Offline

Threads: 7

(09-13-2013, 08:31 PM)Physix Wrote: Turns out the delays may have ruined what had the potential to be the scariest game on the PC. I know this thread will get negative ratings but im just throwing in my 2 cents. Please frictional games do another indie horror game and bring back the true fear of playing a game worthy of the Amnesia title.
All in all I would take a refund if I could get it.
AMFP 3/10
TDD 9/10

I'd like to begin by saying: THE GAME IS AN INDIRECT SEQUEL TO AMNESIA NOT A SEQUEL TO TDD!

Someone mentioned before how you noted the great things this game has and yet you give it a severely low rating which seems to contradic your first statement.

"Turns out the delays may have ruined what had the potential to be the scariest game on the PC." How do you know that the game was better before the delays? How much better would you say the game was from your experience?

Like many others I think you have missed the point. Other than complaining over the diminutive changes and give poor reasons as to why you think it's a bad game why don't you understand what direction they were going in? I think it's great that they experiment like this rather than pump out the same thing they have previously done, what did you expect? The exact same game as TDD with new assets?
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2013, 11:29 AM by Tesseract.)
09-14-2013, 11:28 AM
Find
Diango12 Offline

Threads: 2

(09-14-2013, 11:08 AM)Alardem Wrote: Pretentious = 2deep4u. Am I right?

I love how BETRAYED and ENTITLED all the haters seem to feel. The game exists. There was no obligation to even make a sequel to Amnesia anyway - why get angry when it doesn't live up to your expectations?

Spoiler below!
At least it doesn't completely bastardize the series beyond all redemption, like a certain few series I know...

I'd like to see your job stop paying you one day. I'd like to see you served a full course of bread and water after you pay a restaurant for a dish of braised pork loins. I'd like to see someone like you be forced to read aloud a dissertation in the anthropology of social self regulating systems from an aureate, first semester, 101 class minor and be whipped with an extension cord every time you make a wince or cringe.

So then we can all stand back and and say "you unintelligent, self entitled pig, intake sulfur and choke on the curdling foam gushing out from the orifices."
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2013, 11:48 AM by Diango12.)
09-14-2013, 11:38 AM
Find
Diango12 Offline

Threads: 2

Quote:Perfectly made sense to me. Let's say Tomb Raider series, 3d puzzple-platformer about dashing adventurer Lara Croft. People expect core gameplay kept intact in each game of series. Then there's Lara Croft and Guardian of Light. Same protagonist, different type of gameplay (isometric scrolling platformer) - no problem here cause "it's not Tomb Raider". And then there's Tomb Raider (2013 reboot). It got a lot of flak for altering core gameplay even tho "same universe". If you use same IP to lure fans - you'd better keep things that fans liked in previous games or get ready for shitstorm. AMFP is not what TDD fans (I know it's bad to assume about other people but I strongly feel that way) expected in most parts.

Not bad of you at all to assume consumers would be pissed off from a dim witted bait and switch. The A:amfp bandwagon club likes to only point out the the weaker arguments made from the detractor camp. Its classic straw man in action. What's pissed off consumers is that this was marketed as an Amnesia game. An Amnesia game it is not.
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2013, 11:47 AM by Diango12.)
09-14-2013, 11:46 AM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

Khelim, I'd suggest that you quote properly instead of using colored text to distinguish your reply from the original posters. I'll let it slide this time, because it's a bit of work to alter that post to that state.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
09-14-2013, 11:49 AM
Find
ZyLogicX Offline

Threads: 24

Is it just me? Or am I the only one that notices that all the people that have negative criticism towards AMFP literally registered less than 1 week ago?

Beyond the Mountains of Madness [15%]
This forum is dying.
09-14-2013, 12:43 PM
Find
Diz Offline

Threads: 4

I enjoyed A Machine For Pigs, I really did, and I do plan to play it again to try picking up more on the story. It was a great game, and I enjoyed it a lot.

What I do not get is how some of you, in order to retaliate to the "AAMFP suckz" crowd, seem to do pretty much the same thing to The Dark Descent as revenge. For instance, I was reading somewhere that The Dark Descent has much more jumpscares. What? The Dark Descent did not rely on jumpscares, nor do I feel it contained any but perhaps one of two worthy of being called so. The Dark Descent was backed up by (well, almost) neverending horror from start to finish. I do not remember the game as an experience of jumpscares, I remember it as an experience of being trapped in fear and where making another step or opening another door felt like a milestone. If not equally, if any of the two relied on jumpscares more than the other, I would say A Machine For Pigs did. Not at all a bad thing, and they are both really good games.

Next up is story. i did not understand much of the story during my playthrough of A Machine For Pigs, so I will soon play through it again to hopefully get a better understanding of the world. I did miss voiced diary entries. There were the playbacks, but those were more a replacement for most of the flashbacks. Why do I miss diary entries read aloud? Well, I simply feel it enhances the experience, hearing the entries written by the character in his very own voice. The situation and emotion might become stronger (it would for me, anyway), and there is a whole lot more emphasis. Lastly, I think it would make the story easier to pay attention to, for many player. I was dragged more into the story in The Dark Descent when my character read his own words aloud.

Once again, I do not understand why some are picking on The Dark Descent's story when comparing it to the one in the newest addition in the Amnesia series. Is this just an act of retalating to the crowd disappointed in the new game? I apologize if not, but honestly, you are making it seem as if you are trying to move the focus, being utterly disappointed in its predecessor. Up to this point, I am willing to bet that The Dark Descent had one of the best stories ever presented in any game before. It kept me on the edge, always, and never did it come off to me as dull or even predictable. It was great, and it went exceptionally well combined with everything else in the game. I am not trying to cause a fuss here, not at all. I just feel that the disappointment in The Dark Descent feels just as sudden and uncalled for as the hatred for A Machine For Pigs, and I do not understand this because I love both games. All I can think of is different players having different preferences, both in regard to type of horror and elements of gameplay.

Radidsh is my alternate name. Hungry for horror games? Check out my channel!
09-14-2013, 01:11 PM
Find
SurvivalHorror Offline

(09-14-2013, 12:43 PM)ZyLogicX Wrote: Is it just me? Or am I the only one that notices that all the people that have negative criticism towards AMFP literally registered less than 1 week ago?

Maybe that just goes to show how bad we felt the game was. I hadn't seen this forum prior to finishing the game.

(09-13-2013, 03:02 PM)Kreekakon Wrote: Where do you get the idea that a good horror story, or any story for that matter requires a twist to be good?

Most great narratives do have a twist if you look carefully. Makes the experience much more memorable.

(09-13-2013, 02:54 PM)Alardem Wrote: So the shrieking of pigs amidst the clanging of haunted machinery doesn't do anything for you? Huh.

Humans as the predatory species lack an inherent fear of pigs which severely affected the scare factor. The choice of pigs was an erroneous one from the start for a horror game IMO. To answer your question it did do something for me. It actually made me unsure whether to laugh or cry

(09-14-2013, 12:43 PM)ZyLogicX Wrote: Is it just me? Or am I the only one that notices that all the people that have negative criticism towards AMFP literally registered less than 1 week ago?

Maybe that just goes to show how bad we felt the game was. I hadn't seen this forum prior to finishing the game. However after finishing it I was left with a burning desire to vent off my disappointment and slight anger.

(09-14-2013, 02:25 AM)Nuits Grace Wrote: A terrible one that makes no sense, maybe.

You can argue till you're purple in the face, but AMFP is an ''Amnesia game'' because it's set in the same universe, with the same gameplay flow.

It's ''not as scary''? Well boo hoo, that doesn't mean it's ''not an Amnesia game''.

It isn't "not as scary", it wasn't scary. How would a cod fan feel if you took out guns from the next game?(Representing the horror experience in amnesia) Sure the game is an amnesia one in name, but everyone knows its just a pretender intended as a marketing tactic.
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2013, 02:52 PM by Kreekakon.)
09-14-2013, 01:31 PM
Find
Khelim Offline

(09-14-2013, 11:49 AM)Kreekakon Wrote: Khelim, I'd suggest that you quote properly instead of using colored text to distinguish your reply from the original posters. I'll let it slide this time, because it's a bit of work to alter that post to that state.
Okay, will try to. My forum-posting skills became rusty lately (4 years or so of not using any forums eh).

Isn't that obvious? If we drop all the "you knew that it's not FG but TCR making AMFP and it was meant to be experimental game" and assume that most customers were buying AMFP based on 2 things: Amnesia in title and trailer depicting very TDD-esque gameplay - you get a mob of angry players who were tricked. It's not legal question but more of morality one. Are FG alright with using dirty marketing like that?
09-14-2013, 02:00 PM
Find