Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: Improve the game?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Hell yeah!
20.83%
20 20.83%
Nah lets forget about the game..
29.17%
28 29.17%
No, it's fine the way it is! (added by pluto)
50.00%
48 50.00%
Total 96 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 52 Vote(s) - 2.46 Average
Disappointed with AAMFP
Cuyir Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Amnesia: AMFP is underwhelming (minor spoilers)

(09-14-2013, 04:59 PM)Dune Jumper Wrote:
(09-14-2013, 03:42 PM)Nuits Grace Wrote: LMAO.

Because TCR changed the gameplay sooooooooo much in AMFP. Oh man.

And The Tomb Raider reboot is still a Tomb Raider game in heart and in name, but hey who cares about that when you can piss and moan about anything?

If a game takes place in the same universe as it's predecessor, it should have the same or at least similar gameplay. AAMFP hardly represents the first Amnesia.
How would we like it if Valve made 'Half Life 3', but you play as a character you've never heard before, the game is not connected to the original story, and has completely different gameplay from the original? How is that considered a sequel? Simply saying "it takes place in the same universe" doesn't cut it.

Look to the post above yours as to why.

Dear lord.

I can't remember a single instance where I've insulted anyone, for starters.

Second, i've been on record on saying that I respect *some* of the opinions of people who didn't like AMFP. Why? Cause they have solid reasoning and aren't knee jerking left and right and having dubious opinions.

Clearly people see the game in different ways but there's a pretty sizable camp in the detractors that have ill built opinions on why they don't like the game.

Not even going to keep discussing why AMFP is ''an Amnesia game'' cause quite frankly i'm already insulted that i've had to explain how a first time.

And yuuup, went back a few pages to see if i've insulted anyone and nope. Just got insulted (directly and indirectly) but hey projection is cool and all.
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2013, 06:02 PM by Cuyir.)
09-14-2013, 05:17 PM
Find
Lucas Offline

Threads: 2

If you didn't like it you probably should've made some research before purshasing it. They clearly mentioned the different aspects and mechanics, and how this game would be story focused. If you came here looking for scares, all blame is on you.

And some of you really have the guts to insult an indie game actual human beings worked so hard on. Atleast keep your anger to yourself.
09-14-2013, 05:28 PM
Find
padme Offline

Threads: 0

(09-14-2013, 04:56 PM)Nuits Grace Wrote: @ SurvivalHorror

TDD, survival horror?

Riiiiiight.

It was a first person adventure/puzzler horror game. Not a survival horror game, for starters.

When people keep saying ''it's not an Amnesia game because they changed the gameplay!'' and when asked what changed about the gameplay they answer ''NO SANITY METER, NO INVENTORY, NO BACKTRACKING AND NO INTERACTION'' it clearly shows how knee jerky and reactive they are. AMFP plays mostly like TDD did.

No it doesn't.

Sanity meter, inventory system, interaction, backtracking were all things that enhanced the depth of the experience.

I was playing AMFP today and I found a piggy. My first reaction was "I must not look at it or weird things are going to start happening" but because there is no sanity meter, I just stood there waiting for the piggy to go away. I even missed that dramatic music of when a grunt would appear.
It was a kind of disappointment. The sanity system in TDD was not perfect but it was a very good idea, I was expecting for it to be improved on this game, instead they got it removed.

The lack of interaction with the environment makes me not wanting to explore because I know everything is static, I can't move or touch anything. Like the sanity system, it was not perfect in TDD but it was a nice idea that could be improved. Once again, it got removed instead.

The lack of items makes the game feel very linear, what's the point of exploring if you can move or pick anything? It's basically speeding to the next door to see what's next.

All these little details made a better TDD a better experience and AMFP has none of them.

Quote:As for the story, again, same argument. ''It's so predictable! I ignored the notes cause they were boring and couldn't understand them!!!" The story is supposed to inspire a cerebral fear of how disgusting and vile Mandus is and how a person's goal to change the world in some way goes horribly awry.

I didn't finish the game yet but I'm going to say it, the notes bore me. I always try to read them and I understand them but it's too much text and lack of voice acting.

TDD had voice notes on the most important ones and I would stick with them just to hear Daniel's voice and his expression.

But now, it's just pure reading, I think it's a bit anti-climatic.

(09-14-2013, 05:28 PM)Lucas Wrote: If you didn't like it you probably should've made some research before purshasing it. They clearly mentioned the different aspects and mechanics, and how this game would be story focused. If you came here looking for scares, all blame is on you.

And some of you really have the guts to insult an indie game actual human beings worked so hard on. Atleast keep your anger to yourself.

Moderators, I suggest that comments like this one should be erased from this thread. We are discussing the game, not discussing who's got better taste or not.
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2013, 06:24 PM by padme.)
09-14-2013, 06:23 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

I would really like to leave this thread alone, and let you guys talk it out yourselves. Deleting posts in these sort of threads can sometimes clog up, and get in the way of your discussions.

However I have to remind you all to keep it under control, and respect other members. If someone doesn't respect you, the worst thing you can do is not respect him in return, because that'll cause an infinite loop. Instead try to be the better member, and post in a level-headed manner anyways.

Consider this a warning. If people cannot do this I will begin deleting posts, or lock the thread.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2013, 06:39 PM by Kreekakon.)
09-14-2013, 06:36 PM
Find
SurvivalHorror Offline

(09-14-2013, 05:28 PM)Lucas Wrote: If you didn't like it you probably should've made some research before purshasing it. They clearly mentioned the different aspects and mechanics, and how this game would be story focused. If you came here looking for scares, all blame is on you.

You cant deny the misleading marketing, whether intended as a ploy or an honest mistake. Look at the trailer. It was being marketed as a survival horror game.
09-14-2013, 07:01 PM
Find
bluel0bster Offline

Threads: 11

(09-14-2013, 07:01 PM)SurvivalHorror Wrote: You cant deny the misleading marketing, whether intended as a ploy or an honest mistake. Look at the trailer. It was being marketed as a survival horror game.

"Pigs" is survival horror. Being less scary than another game that's also survival horror doesn't classify this game as a different genre.

And I don't see a problem with the marketing.
09-14-2013, 08:41 PM
Find
pinkribbonscars Offline

How the hell was the story predictable?
09-14-2013, 10:19 PM
Find
Diango12 Offline

(09-14-2013, 10:19 PM)pinkribbonscars Wrote: How the hell was the story predictable?

People played the game expecting the plot and implication served to them in the boring narrative. How is this hard to understand?

The two trailers offered glimpses of a game that included elements of Amnesia style horror. That was not delivered on, and even the people who support the game admit it does not include Amnesia brand horror at all. The brand that was marketed.

False advertising in game trailers and screenshots is something this industry has been struggling with for a long time. This is about what consumers were led to believe in order to make sales and pre-orders.
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2013, 11:01 PM by Diango12.)
09-14-2013, 10:59 PM
Find
Alardem Offline

Threads: 17

(09-14-2013, 10:59 PM)Diango12 Wrote:
(09-14-2013, 10:19 PM)pinkribbonscars Wrote: How the hell was the story predictable?

People played the game expecting the plot and implication served to them in the boring narrative. How is this hard to understand?

The two trailers offered glimpses of a game that included elements of Amnesia style horror. That was not delivered on, and even the people who support the game admit it does not include Amnesia brand horror at all. The brand that was marketed.

False advertising in game trailers and screenshots is something this industry has been struggling with for a long time. This is about what consumers were led to believe in order to make sales and pre-orders.

'Boring narrative'. Yeh, okey.
09-15-2013, 12:11 AM
Find
Diango12 Offline

(09-15-2013, 12:11 AM)Alardem Wrote:
(09-14-2013, 10:59 PM)Diango12 Wrote:

'Boring narrative'. Yeh, okey.

Got an argument to offer besides brain dead dissatisfaction with my post?
09-15-2013, 03:01 AM
Find