Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 12 Vote(s) - 2.83 Average
PiggyPlus Mod Concept - Interactivity, Exploration, Monsters!
NicoNico Offline

Threads: 0
RE: PiggyPlus Mod Concept - Interactivity, Exploration, Monsters!

(09-16-2013, 12:51 PM)Deep One Wrote:
(09-16-2013, 09:38 AM)wretch Wrote: More Pig! More Pig!: The number of monsters Oswald encounters will rise exponentially.

Last worked on: Not started

This could easily make the mod terribly annoying to play and therefore ruin the whole project.
Well it depends how it's done. If it's more direct encounters where you have to escape the monsters, it could be good, because I think some parts could have one or two (the sewers, the part when you turn on the machine and some others)
But if it's just a monster around every corner, I agree with you.
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2013, 12:57 PM by NicoNico.)
09-16-2013, 12:56 PM
Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

Making monsters stronger, and more encounters... That doesn't sound very good.

It's been talked about before... If you die, you lose the immersion, because then you respawn, like in any other video game. I actually happened to die in AAMFP, and that's more than enough.

Also, if the monsters keep coming... That makes it less scary, because the monsters will always be there. When I played AAMFP I was afraid at any moment whether a pig would spawn or not, because you didn't know when it was gonna happen. If it happens all the time, you get an idea of when.

Please don't make the monsters strong enough to kill you in one or two hits. You're supposed to evade them, not go suicidal on them.

I like the idea with interactable entities.

Also more exploreable rooms are good Smile

Good idea, but i think the monsters and encounteres were all fine. It doesn't have to have monsters, to be scary.

Trying is the first step to success.
09-16-2013, 12:58 PM
Find
serbusfish Offline

Threads: 75

I was actually thinking about doing something like this last night, though my idea would have been slightly different, just make it a simple custom story so the regular TDD lantern and mechanics are in place.

09-16-2013, 01:12 PM
Find
felixmole Offline

Threads: 7

So you are not working on a FC, but on remaking AMFP? Good idea but unrealistic. Don't know if FG will allow that. Why don't you work on a prequel/sequel to AMFP to re-use the levels?
09-16-2013, 01:15 PM
Find
Streetboat Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

You know, AMFP was the way it was for a reason. The fact that there was no interactivity was to save on processing power due to the larger and much, much more detailed levels. The engine was stretched to its absolute limit for this game, and it was fairly unstable as a result. You saying you want to just add more, more, more without any indication you understand the technical issues that go along with it make me think that you should reconsider your goals and/or your plans.

[Image: signature-2.png]
09-16-2013, 01:30 PM
Find
wretch Offline

Threads: 4

(09-16-2013, 01:15 PM)felixmole Wrote: So you are not working on a FC, but on remaking AMFP? Good idea but unrealistic. Don't know if FG will allow that. Why don't you work on a prequel/sequel to AMFP to re-use the levels?

If they allowed people to create mods in TDD, I'm sure they will allow it for AMFP.

I understand people are worried about the more monsters part but the monster encounters increasing "exponentially" was a massive exaggeration. I worded it seriously wrong and I'll edit that sentence.

You won't have a monster screaming right at your face around every corner. The monster encounters won't get annoying, I promise.

(09-16-2013, 01:30 PM)Streetboat Wrote: You know, AMFP was the way it was for a reason. The fact that there was no interactivity was to save on processing power due to the larger and much, much more detailed levels. The engine was stretched to its absolute limit for this game, and it was fairly unstable as a result. You saying you want to just add more, more, more without any indication you understand the technical issues that go along with it make me think that you should reconsider your goals and/or your plans.

I understand the interactivity was cut down because of the performance issues created by having every object interactable. I'll see how many objects I can make interactable in a single level without seriously hurting the framerate. That said, I certainly do know about these technical issues.
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2013, 02:39 PM by wretch.)
09-16-2013, 02:31 PM
Find
felixmole Offline

Threads: 7

(09-16-2013, 02:31 PM)wretch Wrote:
(09-16-2013, 01:15 PM)felixmole Wrote: So you are not working on a FC, but on remaking AMFP? Good idea but unrealistic. Don't know if FG will allow that. Why don't you work on a prequel/sequel to AMFP to re-use the levels?

If they allowed people to create mods in TDD, I'm sure they will allow it for AMFP.

Errrm, what's a TDD mod? A full conversion? I have never heard of any full conversion remaking TDD, but I may be wrong since I don't play community-created content.
09-16-2013, 02:39 PM
Find
wretch Offline

(09-16-2013, 02:39 PM)felixmole Wrote:
(09-16-2013, 02:31 PM)wretch Wrote:

Errrm, what's a TDD mod? A full conversion? I have never heard of any full conversion remaking TDD, but I may be wrong since I don't play community-created content.

One was being worked on for TDD, called Dark Mode. You might also want to check out Patrick's post on Page 1.

(09-16-2013, 12:45 PM)NicoNico Wrote: Hey, that's actually a nice idea !
I thought about that like, this morning, thinking "What if someone used the TDD editor to make an "enhanced" version of AMFP ?"

I'm totally looking for this, but I will say that you should keep the new chase song to keep the special atmosphere of the game consistent. Maybe just pump up the volume^^

Anyway, that's cool stuff !

There are several unused monster-specific attack/search/danger themes in the files. I was thinking maybe I should use the Wretch's unused attack theme for the chase theme. The file path to the track is *amfp folder*/sounds/music/npc/wretch
I'm not sure if I will, it's fast but a little too slowpaced for a chase theme.
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2013, 03:15 PM by wretch.)
09-16-2013, 02:47 PM
Find
NicoNico Offline

Threads: 0

(09-16-2013, 02:47 PM)wretch Wrote: There are several unused monster-specific attack/search/danger themes in the files. I was thinking maybe I should use the Wretch's unused attack theme for the chase theme. The file path to the track is *amfp folder*/sounds/music/npc/wretch
I listened to these songs.
I actually like them a lot. I suggest you use them if you can. They have that very industrial vibe that fits the game so well^^
I think the wretch_attack song could very well be a chase theme.
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2013, 03:36 PM by NicoNico.)
09-16-2013, 03:35 PM
Find
wretch Offline

(09-16-2013, 03:35 PM)NicoNico Wrote:
(09-16-2013, 02:47 PM)wretch Wrote: There are several unused monster-specific attack/search/danger themes in the files. I was thinking maybe I should use the Wretch's unused attack theme for the chase theme. The file path to the track is *amfp folder*/sounds/music/npc/wretch
I listened to these songs.
I actually like them a lot. I suggest you use them if you can. They have that very industrial vibe that fits the game so well^^
I think the wretch_attack song could very well be a chase theme.

I tested them both as chase themes, and the TDD chase theme sounds a lot better ingame than the wretch attack one.
09-16-2013, 04:07 PM
Find