Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
Why remove the trailer scenes?
sailornaruto39 Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Why remove the trailer scenes?

(09-16-2013, 09:41 PM)Diango12 Wrote: The issue is not that TCR didn't include some prop or event sequence shown in the trailers. The trailers that were shown marketed tropes and motifs of the original Amnesia title, which the final product did not include at all. They smacked an Amnesia title on the product, teased consumers with trailers building up hype towards an Amnesia title. The backlash is deserved.

Thank you. I think that's exactly what they did. They made it look like it was going to be the same concept with the original game.

And when you think about it, it means they MAY have made MFP similar to TDD, but removed it all over the span of a year, in other words, just said "fuck let's do another Dear Ester"
09-16-2013, 11:03 PM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

(09-16-2013, 09:41 PM)Diango12 Wrote: The issue is not that TCR didn't include some prop or event sequence shown in the trailers. The trailers that were shown marketed tropes and motifs of the original Amnesia title, which the final product did not include at all. They smacked an Amnesia title on the product, teased consumers with trailers building up hype towards an Amnesia title. The backlash is deserved.
Quote:The trailers that were shown marketed tropes and motifs of the original Amnesia title
Well isn't it amazing how you could notice all these motifs in 1 minute trailer that shows very short fragments of work-in-progress:
[Image: hxYozeM.jpg]

And now, ladies and gentleman,
*drums*
I request a direct quote from FG or TCR where they say it will be EXACT like TDD, 1:1, with, as some people her say, "same motifs".

Go on, take your time.

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
09-17-2013, 01:23 AM
Find
Fortigurn Offline

Threads: 6

Very well put.

(09-16-2013, 11:03 PM)sailornaruto39 Wrote: Thank you. I think that's exactly what they did. They made it look like it was going to be the same concept with the original game.

Exactly.

(09-17-2013, 01:23 AM)Kein Wrote: I request a direct quote from FG or TCR where they say it will be EXACT like TDD, 1:1, with, as some people her say, "same motifs".

No one has said this. Please address the arguments actually made. Others here are making valid points in an appropriate manner, and discussing the issue calmly and rationally.
09-17-2013, 02:00 AM
Find
sailornaruto39 Offline

(09-17-2013, 01:23 AM)Kein Wrote:
Quote:The trailers that were shown marketed tropes and motifs of the original Amnesia title
Well isn't it amazing how you could notice all these motifs in 1 minute trailer that shows very short fragments of work-in-progress:
[Image: hxYozeM.jpg]

And now, ladies and gentleman,
*drums*
I request a direct quote from FG or TCR where they say it will be EXACT like TDD, 1:1, with, as some people her say, "same motifs".

Go on, take your time.

No need to be a smartass, I think you're well aware of what he means by montifs.
09-17-2013, 02:11 AM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

(09-17-2013, 02:00 AM)Fortigurn Wrote:
(09-17-2013, 01:23 AM)Kein Wrote: I request a direct quote from FG or TCR where they say it will be EXACT like TDD, 1:1, with, as some people her say, "same motifs".

No one has said this. Please address the arguments actually made. Others here are making valid points in an appropriate manner, and discussing the issue calmly and rationally.

That is the exact reply I expected and needed.

So, let me put it straight: no one from developers or official representatives ever said that the same will be like TDD and all your implications go from the subjective interpretation of a work-in-progress video. And yet you claim, lemme just quote:
(09-16-2013, 01:06 AM)crashbfan Wrote: garbage total garbage infact false advertising.
(09-16-2013, 05:04 AM)Fortigurn Wrote: When the developers show you a video purporting to be what the game 'is shaping up to become', it's reasonable to interpret this as an indication of what the game 'is shaping up to become'. But the video does not show what the game actually became.
(09-16-2013, 05:17 AM)Diango12 Wrote: Guys stop the presses! You weren't given the wrong presentation of the game. It wasn't intended as a 'trailer', just a 'teaser'! All your arguments are invalid! You ungrateful sack of swine.
(09-16-2013, 05:51 AM)Potato Wrote: I don't really see the point, that thread is some user being a tool, this is something legitimate.

So excuse me if people don't take you seriously due to the fact you haven't provided a single argument or valid claim besides you own personal disappointing and interpretation a-la "but but I thought it will be awesome like this and that, I saw it in the 2 years old wip teaser!!!11".

We're done here.

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2013, 02:54 AM by Kein.)
09-17-2013, 02:53 AM
Find
Pig Offline

Threads: 1

Kein, why are you posting here if all your responses are just snarky, off topic remarks? Really, if you'd like to partake in the discussion, go ahead and do so. But please, if you're gonna be a prick, go somewhere else. Everyone else, but you of course, is having mature discussion and you're making yourself look like an annoying brat. Go be a smartass somewhere else.

Anyways, the only reason I brought up the question is because I just thought the cage scene was pretty cool. I personally was expecting more interactions with the monsters in that fashion aka having to hide in spaces to avoid them. There were some areas like this but not very many and none of them involved the bigger monsters. I understand the whole not wanting to give away the surprises but I agree, it seems a little shady on their end to remove scenes that portray the type of vibe that TDD had. It could be an example of a bait and switch, or it could honestly just be what Frictional did with TDD and the levels that were never in the game. But with the game having a completely different vibe than what those scenes imply it feels as if they did it on purpose.
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2013, 02:58 AM by Pig.)
09-17-2013, 02:57 AM
Find
Fortigurn Offline

Threads: 6

(09-17-2013, 02:53 AM)Kein Wrote: So, let me put it straight: no one from developers or official representatives ever said that the same will be like TDD...

And no one here is claiming they did. You are continuing to avoid what people are actually saying. People are very reasonably pointing out that they were shown a video of what the developers said was what the game 'is shaping up to become', but the game didn't actually become what was shown in the video; hence the disappointment.

Quote:And yet you claim, lemme just quote:

Yes, please quote. Note this in particular.

(09-16-2013, 05:04 AM)Fortigurn Wrote: When the developers show you a video purporting to be what the game 'is shaping up to become', it's reasonable to interpret this as an indication of what the game 'is shaping up to become'. But the video does not show what the game actually became.

That is the issue.

Quote:So excuse me if people don't take you seriously due to the fact you haven't provided a single argument or valid claim besides you own personal disappointing and interpretation a-la "but but I thought it will be awesome like this and that, I saw it in the 2 years old wip teaser!!!11".

On the contrary, I have pointed out we were shown a video by the developers video purporting to be what the game 'is shaping up to become'. Because they told us this is what the game 'is shaping up to become', it was reasonable to interpret this as an indication of what the game 'is shaping up to become'.

But the video does not show what the game actually became. You cannot blame our expectations on our imaginations; we were shown a video of what the developers claimed the game 'is shaping up to become'. Whereas you are attempting to dismiss that video as completely irrelevant to the game, that is not how the developers represented it. They said it was what the game 'is shaping up to become'.
09-17-2013, 04:07 AM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

I personally don't think this is really something to get upset about, or blame Frictional/TCR for "bait, and switching". Let me quickly explain my reasoning below:

Many of the trailers were shown over a year ago, during which the games were still deep in development, and many things were subject to change. I would understand the backlash, and think it justified IF the trailers were from extremely close to release, but they were over a year ago.

Time between release, and early trailers have a lot of room to change things which I think the longer time goes on between a trailer, and release of the game the better it is to take the trailer's content with a grain of salt, because given so much time it may be very likely that things have changed.

If they did I think it would be really weird if FG came out, and said "Hey guys just so you know after a year, this trailer is completely outdated, and the game will be nothing like this!" It just feels...off, and not something dev would say. Just feels like the kind of thing a gamer should keep in mind about how development, and trailers go.

As a personal example, and pardon the shameless self advertising, check out this trailer for my mod I announced a couple months ago:

This is from the mod's very early stages, and even though I very well hope it will remain unchanged, I really have ZERO CLUE if anything will be altered down the road to make it seem vastly different to what the trailer currently teases.

Same goes for AMFP, double since the trailers were from so ridiculously long ago. It's not a surprise that so much has changed imo.

EDIT: So while I very much disagree with Kein's snarky way of expressing it, I think he actually makes a valid point.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2013, 07:14 AM by Kreekakon.)
09-17-2013, 07:07 AM
Find
chineseroom Offline

Actually, there was a pig encounter in the cage area right up until we handed it over to Frictional at the end of January. We talked a lot after that and it got removed, and the reasoning was that players would be expecting a Pig to be in the room, so we got the build of tension through the expectation. If the Pig didn't appear, it keeps the fear high as players area constantly expecting it. And you can broadside them by introducing a pig at another point in the level where it's not expected.
09-17-2013, 07:17 AM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199

Spoiler below!

There is a pig encounter in the cage area. Not the "scene pig" but an actual encounter. You get the encounter depending on how you play after having been there the first time.

09-17-2013, 07:31 AM
Website Find