Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 29 Vote(s) - 4.45 Average
The Ultimate SOMA Discussion Thread
Ashtoreth Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6
RE: Frictional Games Super Secret Project Discussion Topic

Haha, sorry David, I know you're German too but I'm sure you've got a much better sense of humour than that... Smile

09-20-2013, 10:27 PM
Find
DavidS Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 4

(09-20-2013, 10:27 PM)Ashtoreth Wrote: Haha, sorry David, I know you're German too but I'm sure you've got a much better sense of humour than that... Smile

Actually I`m born and raised in Austria. Big Grin Germany is a nice place, that`s why I decided to move there a few years ago. Most people have a great sense of humor, but it might sound a bit rough for foreigners. Smile

But in any case: This thread is derailing for a while now. Back to topic, please. Smile

/////////////////////////////////////
09-20-2013, 11:39 PM
Website Find
Lewk Offline

(09-20-2013, 06:45 PM)Paddy Wrote: This is the funniest shit I've read since I got that letter from my estranged son.

Debating Googolplex is like trying to balance a spoon on its end. It can probably be done, but even if you succeed you'll quickly realise you've wasted your life.

I think we can pretty much agree unanimously that Googolplex is the most retarded person on these forums.

Also, can I see that letter?
(This post was last modified: 09-21-2013, 12:19 AM by Lewk.)
09-21-2013, 12:19 AM
Find
Paddy™ Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 43

(09-20-2013, 11:39 PM)DavidS Wrote: [...]

Hey David, I was wondering if there's anything about this project that you're allowed to tell us. Even the most "uninteresting" details would be interesting Big Grin

For instance, we know it's being developed on the HPL3 engine - does this mean we can expect similar interactivity to TDD, such as in the way we open doors or pick up items in the environment?

If you can't answer it's cool Wink

(09-21-2013, 12:19 AM)Lewk Wrote: Also, can I see that letter?

I sent the letter back to him wrapped in raw sausage meat.
09-21-2013, 12:41 AM
Find
DavidS Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 4

I have not seen Googolplex insulting others here, (and even if...) so no matter how "direct" his/her remarks are, please refrain from insults. Thank you.

@Paddy

Sorry, can`t say more than we`re all super busy working our butts off and "soon". Smile

/////////////////////////////////////
09-21-2013, 01:36 AM
Website Find
Paddy™ Offline
Posting Freak

(09-21-2013, 01:36 AM)DavidS Wrote: Sorry, can`t say more than we`re all super busy working our butts off and "soon". Smile

Sounds good to me, thanks man Wink
09-21-2013, 01:37 AM
Find
Ashtoreth Offline
Posting Freak

(09-20-2013, 11:39 PM)DavidS Wrote: Actually I`m born and raised in Austria. Big Grin Germany is a nice place, that`s why I decided to move there a few years ago.

Whoops, apologies for my mistake! Blush

(End of off-topic)

09-21-2013, 05:56 AM
Find
Paddy™ Offline
Posting Freak

Topic back please on get.

Heart
09-22-2013, 02:24 AM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

Little something to think of:
Quote:5) No major progression blocks
In order to keep players inside a narrative, their focus must constantly be on the story happenings. This does not rule out challenges, but it needs to be made sure that an obstacle never consumes all focus. It must be remembered that the players are playing in order to experience a story. If they get stuck at some point, focus fade away from the story, and is instead put on simply progressing. In turn, this leads to the unraveling of the game's underlying mechanics and for players to try and optimize systems. Both of these are problems that can seriously degrade the narrative experience.

There are three common culprits for this: complex or obscure puzzles, mastery-demanding sections and maze-like environments. All of these are common in games and make it really easy for players to get stuck. Either by not being sure what to do next, or by not having the skills required to continue. Puzzles, mazes and skill-based challenges are not banned, but it is imperative to make sure that they do not hamper the experience. If some section is pulling players away from the story, it needs to go.

IGN.com:
Quote:Those puzzles come across as annoying speed bumps between the much more effective moments of terror and story progression. You'll find yourself replacing fuses, turning valves, and moving parts of the environment in order to solve most of the uninspired obstacles. None are tricky enough to elicit that coveted "aha!" moment, and instead the completion of the puzzles delivers a feeling more akin to the empty satisfaction I feel after doing the dishes.

GamingTrend:
Quote:Gone are The Dark Descent’s sanity and lamp oil mechanics. Everything in A Machine for Pigs has been streamlined–puzzles are rarely more complicated than “Go There, Flip Switch, Return.” While a few excellent puzzles break the mold, you’ll never find anything like The Dark Descent’s Machine Room.

StrategyInfromer:
Quote:Puzzles are almost entirely left behind however, as is the inventory or being able to carry anything permanently other than your lantern (you can pick up objects however as long as you hold the mouse button).

Shacknews:
Quote:They mostly consist of flipping switches or placing loose items into their proper slots. And though there are some dark branching paths that can be explored, the path is fairly linear. You might feel frightened, but you won't often feel lost. That partially led to me completing the game in about six hours, though the scares meant I didn't do it all in one sitting.

What do you think about puzzles in AAMFP?
[Image: svRZzNw.png]

Don't get me wrong, I loved Pigs, for the story, atmosphere and consistent and lovely narration, experience flow. But it seems like it followed the spoken above philosophy (can we use this word here?) too much. Not that I'm saying puzzles must be important part of... "horror exploration" games like Amnesia/Penumbra, it just something I observed.

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
(This post was last modified: 09-22-2013, 07:51 PM by Kein.)
09-22-2013, 07:50 PM
Find
Cuyir Offline

Threads: 1

I agree, those weren't puzzles, just obstacles.

Their next game has to balance actual puzzles with their new focus on storytelling.
09-22-2013, 08:13 PM
Find