Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 29 Vote(s) - 4.45 Average
The Ultimate SOMA Discussion Thread
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246
RE: Frictional Games Super Secret Project Discussion Topic

I always enjoy to have tricky puzzles. But I wouldn't say AAMFP is a bad game just because the puzzles were too simply. I really like the way TCR goes with that. I mean, we can be praised that they give us the best story in Amnesia. I don't see why story and puzzles wouldn't fit together, but TCR wanted to create their own game, not a TDD clone. So we can be happy wo have two different games.

Even TDD had too easy puzzles. For the future I want the good old Penumbra puzzles and interactions back. Without to lose quality in story.
(This post was last modified: 09-22-2013, 08:58 PM by Googolplex.)
09-22-2013, 08:56 PM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

(09-22-2013, 08:56 PM)Googolplex Wrote: I always enjoy to have tricky puzzles. But I wouldn't say AAMFP is a bad game just because the puzzles were too simply. I really like the way TCR goes with that. I mean, we can be praised that they give us the best story in Amnesia. I don't see why story and puzzles wouldn't fit together, but TCR wanted to create their own game, not a TDD clone. So we can be happy wo have two different games.

Considering all of your previously stated ideals, I'm almost curious as to if you were paid to get this opinion, no offense. This is so off from what you normally boast for.
09-23-2013, 07:08 AM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

(09-23-2013, 07:08 AM)Statyk Wrote: Considering all of your previously stated ideals, I'm almost curious as to if you were paid to get this opinion, no offense. This is so off from what you normally boast for.

Yes, but I'm not stupid to say AAMFP failed just because there is no oil and no thinderboxes. AAMFP probably has the best of all stories of video gaming history and that's much worth.

Puzzles are even nice, but a game is not automatically bad when there are no. AAMFP has other qualities, what other games doesn't. Of course, it would be even better with more puzzles and interactions.
(This post was last modified: 09-23-2013, 05:37 PM by Googolplex.)
09-23-2013, 05:35 PM
Find
FromTheSidelines Offline

Threads: 0

I think the problem with AMFP was the 'on the rails' feeling. You slip from being in the world to watching it behind a window if you're not given enough to do and/or interact with. You need to find a good balance between being asked to do so much your focus shifts from the scares and the story, and being asked to do so little you disconnect from the scares and the story.
09-24-2013, 03:14 AM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

(09-24-2013, 03:14 AM)FromTheSidelines Wrote: I think the problem with AMFP was the 'on the rails' feeling. You slip from being in the world to watching it behind a window if you're not given enough to do and/or interact with.

That's true. It feels a bit too linear.
09-24-2013, 04:01 PM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

I think the problem is that someone has a bit too much time in his hands and bumps this thread every time he is bored, completely ignoring the fact that some people may subscribe to this topic to watch it for possible relevant information to the subj.

Instead, they are getting this.

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
(This post was last modified: 09-24-2013, 06:27 PM by Kein.)
09-24-2013, 06:26 PM
Find
Gunslingerjh Offline

Threads: 48

Can't wait to see more of the HPL 3 engine! I hope someone will do a blog post about it soon

09-24-2013, 06:34 PM
Find
FromTheSidelines Offline

Threads: 0

(09-24-2013, 06:26 PM)Kein Wrote: I think the problem is that someone has a bit too much time in his hands and bumps this thread every time he is bored, completely ignoring the fact that some people may subscribe to this topic to watch it for possible relevant information to the subj.

Instead, they are getting this.

My heart, it weeps for those people.
09-24-2013, 07:41 PM
Find
Paddy™ Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 43

Stay on topic, if you want to discuss AAMFP there are 50093 thread where you can do that Big Grin

To keep things civil and coherent off-topic posts will be deleted from here on.
09-24-2013, 08:52 PM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

In interesting idea would be to waive a protagonist's name.
Because WE, the player, IS the protagonist, and not playing someone who's name is Daniel.
That also would mean the player is a NOBODY. No hero, no virtual protagonist, just a normal human like WE are. His name is not important.

Tell a story where we are not part of it, just trapped into a horrifying journey and find out what's going on there.
09-25-2013, 02:53 PM
Find