Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
How to get a refund - Now not required thanks to Pluto
Moirai Offline

Threads: 1
How to get a refund - Now not required thanks to Pluto

Hi,

As a big fan of the Penumbra series and Dark Decent, I've just purchased MFP via Frictional's main page (http://www.frictionalgames.com/site/) using Paypal.

All well and good. I download the Windows version...only to find out afterwards that Vista is the base O/S requirement, and that the game installer won't even run unless you are using Vista base minimum.

I'm running XP. -_-

So, how do I proceed with getting a refund, given that at no point during the purchase was I informed of the above and now have a game I can't even install, let alone run?

Many thanks!

P.S. if there's a better place for this kind of support (e.g. email, etc), please let me know.

EDIT: Edited for clarity on the actual problem.
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2013, 07:28 PM by Moirai.)
10-04-2013, 11:57 PM
Find
Cuyir Offline

RE: How to get a refund

Pretty sure you can't ask for a refund for user error.

You're supposed to see if you can run it beforehand.
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2013, 12:12 AM by Cuyir.)
10-05-2013, 12:11 AM
Find
Ashtoreth Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

Hi,

Have you tried playing the game? Even though it wasn't tested on Windows XP before release, Jens Nilsson from Frictional Games has said here on the forum that theoretically it might work on Windows XP, if The Dark Descent worked for the player. The engine didn't change that much from one game to the other.

In my case, for example, the graphics card does not meet the minimum requirements, and yet I'm able to play the game on low settings.

I would give it a try if I were you. Besides, you will have to upgrade your OS sooner or later, so it's not "lost money". Wink

10-05-2013, 12:15 AM
Find
Moirai Offline

(10-05-2013, 12:15 AM)Ashtoreth Wrote: Hi,

Have you tried playing the game? Even though it wasn't tested on Windows XP before release, Jens Nilsson from Frictional Games has said here on the forum that theoretically it might work on Windows XP, if The Dark Descent worked for the player. The engine didn't change that much from one game to the other.

In my case, for example, the graphics card does not meet the minimum requirements, and yet I'm able to play the game on low settings.

I would give it a try if I were you. Besides, you will have to upgrade your OS sooner or later, so it's not "lost money". Wink

Thanks for the response. Appreciated! However, point is; you can't even install it on XP. The installer errors if you attempt to do so, since I don't have the required base version of Windows (i.e. Windows NT v6 which is Vista)

I may 'upgrade' my games PC at some future point. But given that every other game I run, which is a considerable number, plus all the other software, (again considerable) runs quite happily with XP, naturally I'm not really into spending a couple of weeks reinstalling the O/S and every other piece of software, gaming or otherwise, just to play one lone game. Not going to happen.

Hey ho.

(10-05-2013, 12:11 AM)Cuyir Wrote: Pretty sure you can't ask for a refund for user error.

You're supposed to see if you can run it beforehand.

I also pretty sure the developer should be clearly stating the requirements on their product's purchase pages, especially if they differ from their previous games...

Anyway, I'm not here to argue the point with other customers. Just to tell Frictional.
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2013, 12:42 AM by Moirai.)
10-05-2013, 12:35 AM
Find
EnDash Offline

Threads: 2

(10-04-2013, 11:57 PM)Moirai Wrote: Hi,

As a big fan of the Penumbra series and Dark Decent, I've just purchased MFP via Frictional's main page (http://www.frictionalgames.com/site/) using Paypal.

All well and good. I download the Windows version...only to find out afterwards that Vista is the base O/S requirement, and that the game installer won't even run unless you are using Vista base minimum.

I'm running XP. -_-

So, how do I proceed with getting a refund, given that at no point during the purchase was I informed of the above and now have a game I can't even install, let alone run?

Many thanks!

P.S. if there's a better place for this kind of support (e.g. email, etc), please let me know.

well for one there is the technical support forum for the game, maybe someone has a solution to your problem there:
http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-52.html

if you are totally sure about getting a refund, i guess you will need to either talk to frictional games's customer support or the customer support of the shop you bought it from (steam, gog.com, frictional game's store etc).
10-05-2013, 07:58 AM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

(10-05-2013, 07:58 AM)EnDash Wrote:

I'm running XP. -_-

Many thanks!

well for one there is the technical support forum for the game, maybe someone has a solution to your problem there:
http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-52.html

if you are totally sure about getting a refund, i guess you will need to either talk to frictional games's customer support or the customer support of the shop you bought it from (steam, gog.com, frictional game's store etc).

Uhm, that section was for the mechanic problem with AAMFP (like maybe the game crashes when turning on the Lantern, AAMFP crashes when launching, etc.).

If you want a refund, maybe contact Frictional or the Support of the Shop you bought it from.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
10-05-2013, 08:06 AM
Find
TwiK999 Offline

Threads: 5

The requirements are listed on Steam and various other places and it does state that you are required to have at least windows vista or at best windows 7 to run the game. Xp is pretty old now, I think it's time you upgraded

Steam ID: Yazite

Xbox Gamertag: Yazite
10-05-2013, 09:49 AM
Find
Paddy™ Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 43

I'm running XP. -_-

Many thanks!

You'd probably be better off contacting the store from which you bought the game, seeing as how they'll be the ones providing the refund (or not).

With the exception of Desura, every store from which the game is available comes with detailed system requirements information.
10-05-2013, 10:21 AM
Find
Ashtoreth Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

Well, I purchased AMFP from the Humble Store, and to be honest I don't remember seeing the system requirements anywhere during the process... Not even after, in the Humble Library's download page.

Moirai, did you buy the game from the Humble Store? If so, I suggest you try to contact them about this issue instead.

contact@humblebundle.com

10-05-2013, 01:29 PM
Find
Tiger Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 16

(10-05-2013, 01:29 PM)Ashtoreth Wrote: Well, I purchased AMFP from the Humble Store, and to be honest I don't remember seeing the system requirements anywhere during the process... Not even after, in the Humble Library's download page.

Moirai, did you buy the game from the Humble Store? If so, I suggest you try to contact them about this issue instead.

contact@humblebundle.com

I don't think he did, since

Moirai Wrote:I've just purchased MFP via Frictional's main page (http://www.frictionalgames.com/site/) using Paypal.
10-05-2013, 01:39 PM
Find