Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 29 Vote(s) - 4.45 Average
The Ultimate SOMA Discussion Thread
TheWalshinator Offline

Threads: 3
RE: SOMA Discussion Thread

I don't mind sci-fi horror, but I hope it doesn't turn out like Outlast, where it was more annoying than scary running from the "monsters". When they reveal more about the project I will look at all of what is shown before making a decision about whether I will get it or not.

You will see me, and weep in cold fear...
10-05-2013, 10:50 AM
Find
Oscar House Offline

(10-05-2013, 03:06 AM)MegaScience Wrote: Well what about the other extreme: Underwater?

All I'm gonna say is that I agree on this hypothesis, based on the accidentally discovered concept art zip file during the Justine ARG that no one seems to have anymore for some reason.

[Image: 2exldzm.png]
10-05-2013, 11:14 AM
Find
TheWalshinator Offline

Underwater... sounds like a mission for Big Daddy! XD

10-05-2013, 11:16 AM
Find
Deep One Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 9

(10-05-2013, 09:38 AM)Googolplex Wrote: After all, this first artwork seems to be real.
But I don't think those monsters are scary - in contrary.

Spoiler below!
[Image: dPQyjWf.jpg]

Yeah, the earliest concept art always represents the final product, right googol?
10-05-2013, 11:38 AM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246

(10-05-2013, 11:38 AM)Deep One Wrote: Yeah, the earliest concept art always represents the final product, right googol?

Right.
10-05-2013, 12:56 PM
Find
Chrysler Offline

Threads: 2

(10-05-2013, 03:30 AM)Cuyir Wrote:
(10-05-2013, 03:06 AM)MegaScience Wrote: Well what about the other extreme: Underwater?

Maybe. But it just screams spacy for me. The machine was found somewhere in a salvage mission, so unless humans are living underwater and that salvage team recovered it from a defunct station there wouldn't be anywhere to find the machine. Really seems like a ''they found the machine in some derelict space station/settlement/ship and brought it aboard'' sort of thing.

This is a header image of FG's blog that was on the site for a short period of time before they replaced it with the current one. Supports the underwater theory in my eyes.
[Image: head.jpg]

What Cuyir wrote heavily reminds me of the film "Sphere". I really liked that one when I saw it the first time, despite of quite bad reviews..
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2013, 01:40 PM by Chrysler.)
10-05-2013, 01:37 PM
Find
Cuyir Offline

Threads: 1

(10-05-2013, 01:37 PM)Chrysler Wrote:
(10-05-2013, 03:30 AM)Cuyir Wrote:

Maybe. But it just screams spacy for me. The machine was found somewhere in a salvage mission, so unless humans are living underwater and that salvage team recovered it from a defunct station there wouldn't be anywhere to find the machine. Really seems like a ''they found the machine in some derelict space station/settlement/ship and brought it aboard'' sort of thing.

This is a header image of FG's blog that was on the site for a short period of time before they replaced it with the current one. Supports the underwater theory in my eyes.
[Image: head.jpg]

What Cuyir wrote heavily reminds me of the film "Sphere". I really liked that one when I saw it the first time, despite of quite bad reviews..

It'd be original, that's for sure.

Their Soma website, all technological and sci fi, could be a slight red herring.

The game will almost positively be about some sort of A.I/sentient machine thing but MAYBE set underwater, instead of the more traditional space.

I'd be happy with either setting (space and underwater). A thing about early concept art is that artists sometimes move on from them. Maybe while working on an old piece, polishing it and making it prettier, they realize ''hrrmm, this same concept but in another setting? Or maybe another design but along the lines of this one?"

We'll know more as soon as there's another entry available. One thing's for sure. This ARG has captivated me. I had never been captivated by one ever before, so they're doing something good here lol.
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2013, 06:39 PM by Cuyir.)
10-05-2013, 04:34 PM
Find
TheWalshinator Offline

(10-05-2013, 04:34 PM)Cuyir Wrote: I'd be happy with either setting (space and underwater). A thing about early concept art is that artists sometimes move on from them. Maybe while working on an old piece, polishing it and making it prettier, they realize ''hrrmm, this same concept but in another setting? Or maybe another design but along the lines of this one?"

That is true. Remember the early concept art for the Gatherers in TDD's "super secret" folder?

Spoiler below!
The Grunt was originally going to look like some sort of pirate or whatever, and the Brute... I can't really find the words to describe what that was going to look like... XD

(This post was last modified: 10-05-2013, 04:47 PM by TheWalshinator.)
10-05-2013, 04:46 PM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

(10-05-2013, 09:38 AM)Googolplex Wrote: After all, this first artwork seems to be real.
But I don't think those monsters are scary - in contrary.

[Image: dPQyjWf.jpg]

Good lord, it's been said FEW times by DIFFERENT people who work on FG that this concept artwork has NOTHING to do with SOMA (Next Frictional Game).

...really.

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2013, 05:25 PM by Kein.)
10-05-2013, 05:23 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

(10-05-2013, 05:23 PM)Kein Wrote: Good lord, it's been said FEW times by DIFFERENT people who work on FG that this concept artwork has NOTHING to do with SOMA (Next Frictional Game).

...really.

Not everyone follows these types of threads to each individual post. You'll have new people finding out things which may seem obvious to other people each day.

For example, had you not brought that up, I would've guessed that that picture was concept art just like Googol did.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
10-05-2013, 05:32 PM
Find